Monday, May 25, 2009

The Truth

This weekend I rented the movie ‘Revolutionary Road’ with Kate Winslet and Leonardo diCaprio. I loved it! I can’t say that I really enjoyed it, but gosh, I loved it.

At the outset, when I was writing for Janus nearly every day, I didn’t really know what I was doing. I just did my best. I have never taken a writing class and so I just wrote. I had a tendency to want to tell my reader all about my characters. I wanted to tell them right away that Janet loved this or Janet wanted that. Janus would tell me to do it again. He would say something like,

“Tell me about her with dialogue or an action. Don’t just tell me facts about her.”

Eventually, I got the hang of that. When I get back to writing, when I finally get back to doing what I should be doing, I think I might even have that nailed.

I applaud the screenwriter of ‘Revolutionary Road’ for his ability to tell us so much about these characters through such carefully crafted words.

When they meet, Frank and April, it is immediately apparent why it is that Alice has fallen in love. By her own admission, she has never really been anywhere. Frank has been to Paris and can’t wait to get back there.

“Well, I’ll take you with me,” he tells her.

A girl whose passion to live life on her own terms oozes out of every movement, April pays close attention to Frank’s words.

“All I know Alice, is that I want to feel things; really feel them.”

That’s all it took.

“I think you’re the most interesting person I’ve ever met.”

But, Frank isn’t exactly the man he portrays. He takes his responsibilities seriously and he looks for the approval of his peers. We see April bloom at his agreement to move to Paris and we see her fade when he takes that option away.

It is not for her; a life lived according to society and her peers. That means nothing to her.

“Who made these rules, anyway?” and then “Look at us...this idea you have to settle down, resign from life...”

But, Frank doesn’t get it.

“I support you, don’t I?”

And, then her plea...”We can’t go on pretending.”

It is so painful to watch, but there it is on the screen, her truth, his truth; two different truths.

My truth is that I want to write half that well.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Vesta,

    reading your post i wonder: Master would not let me see this movie. What is it He is protecting me from?

    Clemmi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Clemmi:

    You know, this movie was set in the 1950s, when men and women were stuck in stereotypical roles. Her frustration with her life is palpable and she plays it out via an extramarital affair. As well, she cannot accept her third pregnancy, putting an end to her dreams to "live" as it does. There is a lot of sadness, frustration and incompatability, and maybe he didn't want to expose you to that.

    But, Clemmi, I wouldn't be Vesta, would I, if I didn't add that I believe that there is nothing that you can't handle, and that Master should reconsider his decision. (Got that, Master?) You would enjoy dissecting the storyline and we could 'gas on' about it over a long email. Masters!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cassie this is for you:

    It's late in the evening, she's wondering what clothes to wear
    She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair
    And then she asks me, Do I look all right?
    And I say, Yes, you look wonderful tonight

    We go to a party and everyone tries to see
    This beautiful lady that's walking around with me
    And then she asks me, Do you feel all right?
    And I say, Yes, I feel wonderful tonight

    I feel wonderful because I see
    the love light in your eyes
    And the wonder of it all is that you just don't lealize how much I love you

    It's time to go home now and I 've got an aching head
    so I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed
    And then I tell her as I tutn out the light,
    I say, My darling, you were wonderful tonight
    Oh, my darling you wonderful tonight.

    E. Clapton, Wonderful Tonight

    MP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clemmi and Master: Thank you for this and I believe I have another reader who will enjoy it, too. It's an Eric Clapton kind of week, it seems. Lots of love, XO

    ReplyDelete