Monday, May 11, 2009

Talking the talk

I just love the discussion that is occurring over at Selkie’s blog. It is an intelligent and thorough discourse about topics central to our lifestyle. I used to read those types of discussions over at The Punishment Book, from time and time, and it was ‘girl power’ in all its glory. I do hope that such lively discussions return there, and I look forward to participating when they do. It makes me realize that, if we wanted to, we girls could take over the world.

This is only one problem. We don’t want to take over the world; at least not our little world of D/s or M/s relationships. Hell, no! If we took over the world, then all the fun would be gone, gone, gone!

So, to the doms and tops that are following the discussion over there, be not afraid! We still want you to do what you do best – pay attention to us! Just because we are being forthright, does not, for a moment mean, that we don’t want you to be forthright back.

For instance, on Selkie’s post, I made the comment that if I am to have a daily exercise and do it over a long period of time, that it must be meaningful to me. I stand by that. However, what I didn’t go on to say was that I certainly don’t argue with the dom’s right to set a task that is NOT meaningful to me. Perhaps, he just thinks it would be a rather good idea to set me a task that I hated; that I did for no other reason than he told me to do it. That’s okay. If it was just about doing only what I wanted to do, well, there’s not too much submission going on. I’m not getting the thrill of submitting and he’s not getting the thrill of dominating. So, whilst the needs of the submissive need to always be kept in mind, maybe he feels that what she needs right now is just to do as she is told, whether she likes it or not. A bright girl is, after all, unlikely to respect a “yes man”. A bright man will know how to keep her submitting to him, inch by inch.

In this morning’s newspaper an article in the Education section is entitled ‘Respect is the new discipline’. It is a worthy discussion about the sort of discipline being undertaken in schools now. It was the final paragraph that really captured my attention. The Principal acknowledged that his school is remembered for “the school that likes to cane”. These days he says, “Discipline shouldn’t be just about punishment, it should be about encouraging and rewarding good behaviour as well.” Well said! We girls might get off on punishment, but we’re not averse to praise, flowers or new shoes!

However, the school’s code remains strict:

“If you are talking about us telling kids to tuck their shirts in, it tells the kids that we are actually watching them, that we are noticing what they are doing and that we are worried about little things. So, the big things are less likely to happen.”

Now, where have I heard that before? Hello, Janus! The little things ARE important. If he wants you to come and ask permission to go to bed, he means it! If he doesn’t notice, you notice that he doesn’t notice, and then you have to do something even worse, to get his attention. It’s a vicious cycle, with no value to anybody.

My point is we girls aren’t attempting to emasculate the dom. Nothing would be worse than if he withdrew his services. I can say this with conviction. We like to talk the talk, but we certainly don’t want you to walk the walk!

3 comments:

  1. here here!! the little things ARE important, and yes, we notice when he doesn't. I was accused of trying to emasculate my former lover (note the key word "former") by pointing out that I was required to act out to get his attention. He told me that he expected my behavior. I pointed out that expectation means nothing to me - it was the recognition of good behavior that I was looking for, just as the recognition of poor behavior was also necessary. It's a give and take in my mind - I take orders, and give in return my submission and following those orders. At the same time, when you take my submission, you must give me recognition for taking your orders. It's a two-way street which can become a one-way descent into hell if nobody gives a damn what the other is doing or not doing.

    Hence, I like Daddy's concept that he seduces me to submit - he WANTS me to WANT to submit, and if I don't submit, he hasn't given me enough love, attention, etc. to WANT to submit to even that which doesn't interest me, or in fact scares me.

    It's all about the carrot and the stick - I follow the carrot, and I get the stick across my behind! Hey - it works for us!! *laughing*

    ReplyDelete
  2. cutesy pah: I agree. If the dom notices when you don't behave, then he should also notice when you do. He doesn't have to run about saying "good job" but he should provide some feedback that he is happy with you. It might be flowers, it might be just telling you that you are such a good girl, and how lucky he is.

    It's a good point - both people need to pay attention to each other regularly, as in any good relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 11, 2009

    Yes I agree...Well said both of you, very well done, good job....

    ReplyDelete