Monday, May 25, 2009

Darling, I'd love a spanking!

I was looking for a particular piece of paper on my desk this evening, and in doing so, I located a charcoal drawing one of my son’s had done some years ago now. I’d say he was in grade 3 at the time and I kept it, meaning to frame it. I will frame it actually for it has become evident that art is not really his thing and thus this interesting fox in flight is all the more special to me. He put a title on the drawing. ‘The fox is a flash in time.’ Quite right! This fox is here and then he is gone and not just the four legged kind.

My little guy has always seen the world at a slightly different angle to most people. He doesn’t say anything unless he has something to say, and when he has something to say, we all listen, because it is bound to be interesting and most likely, funny. Laughter is such a wonderful thing and even in hard times, it lightens the load.

This morning after exercising, I had coffee with several women and it was one of those times when women are very honest with one another about their lives (except me, for obvious reasons). One woman is recently divorced. For a while she was bitter and twisted, as you might expect. Her husband had met a Vietnamese girl on his travels and five minutes later she was pregnant and he had packed his things and moved out. But, several months later, she has lots of interesting stories to share with us and she certainly makes us laugh.

This weekend, she went to a club where she is a member. She was one of the last to leave, and as she did she found a man there sidling up to her to tell her she was “beautiful”. Taking the advice of a man friend, she took the initiative and said, “Would you like to go out some time?” He didn’t hesitate to exchange telephone numbers with her and hopefully it leads to good things for her.

Wanting to be supportive of her audacity, I said,

“Well, even if it just leads to having someone to go to the movies with, that’s a good thing!”

Without missing a beat, another interesting, petite and attractive women at the table said,

“Oh yes! I’m married and I’d love a man to go to the movies with!”

We all rolled about laughing before various women commented on the state of play of their marriages. Not only were few husbands interested in taking their wives to the movies, they rarely commented on their dress, even when heading out to an important event.

It’s just not good enough, is it? These are intelligent, witty, attractive women in great shape. They may not be young any more but they are feminine and soft and wanting of attention. They want their men to notice them and take them on a date.

I didn’t do it. You know me. Don’t breathe a word! But, I can tell you, I was sorely tempted to tell them about the benefits of asking to be spanked. Maybe then, their husbands might be a little more accommodating. What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Every women, whether she is spanked or not, deserved to be seduced by the one that has her heart. Every women deserved to be adored, admired, respected, and pampered. Yet, it is so often that the one who has our heart believes that the work is done, and no more attention is needed. How sad when we see this is the reality of most marriages.

    Yes, I think a good spanking would do them good, if nothing else to get increase their circulation! *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. cutesy pah: I wonder if many of the men even realize what they are doing. They have just slipped into complacency, sometimes. But, as well, I think they need to go to the doctor and talk about any symptoms (read: loss of libido) they have. There are solutions but putting their heads in the sand is not one of them.

    Putting a little spanking into their lives could juice things up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 26, 2009

    some men, you refer to SOME men not all. For the record I love movies especially in the theatre and I would never miss an opportunity to compliment h, in or out, of a nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir J

    You just made my day! I woke up, and what? No commment from Sir J on this subject?

    Of course, I was NOT referring to men like YOU. YOU, the man who buys his wife her clothes, YOU the man who brings home Jimmy Choos. YOU the man who knows what I am talking about when I refer to all sorts of genre of movies?

    Even when you two are on walking sticks, my dear, I'm sure you'll be a star!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 26, 2009

    you are too kind, unfortunately my day got away from me so I am a little behind. Yes I see a number of movies and Kate and Leo should have stopped at the big boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir J: I have read similar statements before, and whilst it wasn't a 'fun' movie, it was so well crafted, that I actually want to see it again. To think her life was 'snuffed out'; her vibrancy gone overnight. It was not at all easy to watch.

    The movie reminded me of a John Brack painting, actually. You stand there, stunned by the man's vision, but feeling sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there:

    John, my husband, doesn't go to the movies with me often-- he's tall and the seats are uncomfortable. BUT, he does watch the Bachelorette with me-- so I think he gets a pass on the movies.

    I think sometimes its easy to overlook the ways the men do say that they love us, even when words are sparse. That's been a HUGE lesson for us. I'm very sensitive to words, whereas he's more likely to be moved by actions and gestures. Sometimes I think we love each other unnoticed.

    But, as we continually learn to love each other better, it's even more special when he remembers that telling me I'm beautiful TO HIM means so much to me, or when I remember that pizza from scratch makes him feel loved. That being said... sometimes it's hard to remember what to look for.:)

    Good thoughts-- Thanks
    JMD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there:

    John, my husband, doesn't go to the movies with me often-- he's tall and the seats are uncomfortable. BUT, he does watch the Bachelorette with me-- so I think he gets a pass on the movies.

    I think sometimes its easy to overlook the ways the men do say that they love us, even when words are sparse. That's been a HUGE lesson for us. I'm very sensitive to words, whereas he's more likely to be moved by actions and gestures. Sometimes I think we love each other unnoticed.

    But, as we continually learn to love each other better, it's even more special when he remembers that telling me I'm beautiful TO HIM means so much to me, or when I remember that pizza from scratch makes him feel loved. That being said... sometimes it's hard to remember what to look for.:)

    Good thoughts-- Thanks
    JMD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear JMD

    Thank you for your comment and a very warm welcome to the blog.

    You raise a very important and most valid point. There are more ways than one to express one's love, support and approval. Your husband may, for example, give you an approving 'once over' which is also great.

    I think it applies in the 'saying sorry' department, too. My husband looks for the words from me, but he tends to DO something instead. I might find that he has made the bed, for example, or taken by car to have the wheels aligned; something like that. It is his way of saying "I'm sorry" and I understand that.

    The point is that we are all expressing our care for one another, but I would add that sometimes we need practice to get these things right and any men (apart from Sir J) reading might think about practising ways to demonstrate their love.

    Lovely to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete