Monday, May 4, 2009

Dignity and grace

I was greatly touched by two lovely comments left for me in my last post. It prompted me just now to look up the definitions of two words they had used – grace and dignity. Interestingly, neither word is particularly easy to define, with there being some indecision as to a perfect definition. Nevertheless, broadly speaking, ‘grace’ is defined as being to grant forgiveness, or good will, loving, kindness and/or favour. ‘Dignity’ is defined as the quality of being worthy of esteem or respect.

Well, I must say that I am humbled to have my thoughts as those defined as being with dignity and grace. I am going to try to live up to that lovely sentiment.

Whilst I have many faults, I know in my heart that I have attempted to live up to the sentiment expressed in those comments. I don’t believe in giving up on people easily and I tread lightly through this life. I mean no-one any harm and I confess I am always greatly surprised when they do something unkind to me.

I don’t think that there is any sure way to spot a submissive woman, but I would like to think that they are the gentle people of the world. My husband tells me often that I am too soft, and that part of his job is to protect me from the hardness of life. Interestingly, my softness disappears when my children are in need of my protection. I am not inclined at all to ask for favour for myself but I can speak up for one of the children instantly if they need me to. When the little boy beside mine in the choir was going to make his life a misery over the weekend, up I went to talk to the choirmaster to have the matter addressed, and it was dealt with to my satisfaction. If it had been me needing to endure some unpleasant character, I would have stayed silent and got through it the best way I could. That is the difference.

I don’t need a flashy life. I don’t need to be rich. I don’t need powerful or famous friends. Acquisition of valuables is not necessary. I look to make my home as appealing and welcoming as I can, to embrace and love my family, to enjoy my friends and meet interesting people, and hopefully to see more of the world. More than anything, I seek a happy marriage, to be lovingly dominated and to be blissfully happy within my submission. I seek peace of mind.

I do indeed seek to live with dignity and grace. And, that your soul reached out to my soul to express that thought to me...well, all I can say is that I am exceedingly fortunate to have such lovely cyberspace friends. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 04, 2009

    Grace, Like many of my favourite words is hard to define, a sense of propriety and consideration for others or a disposition to kindness and compassion are two of my favourites. When I use the word it invokes memories of women in my life like my Grandmother and my Mother. Strong women, compassionate women, women of thought, deed and action. Women of style (not fashion).

    Vesta one does not to need to strive to achieve that which they already posses but the fact that you do in this case is part of why you have it.

    best wishes, J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace and dignity both describe you perfectly. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir J and cutesy pah: Thank you. Really. It is lovely to have such kind and thoughtful readers.

    ReplyDelete