Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Out on the town

Whilst I was in a waiting room today, I picked up one of those magazines filled with gossip about movie stars. It is against my religion to buy them, but I am happy to read someone else’s copy, you see!

There was an article in there about Tom Cruise, and Katie, just like every week. However, this week the article caught my attention. This writer suggested that far from their marriage being in trouble, it was, in fact, completely solid.

The reasoning went like this. When out in public with a famous woman, Tom tended to handle them securely. He tended to steer them this way and that and to almost manhandle them. They had a picture of him holding Julia Roberts so tightly that when he let go, the fingers marks were evident on her arm. Photos of him with Nicole and Penelope showed similar aggressive handling. None of those girls exhibited any sign of enjoying this dominance (which the body behaviour expert attributed to that of behaviour similar to gorillas – he smiled as he held them, and bearing one’s teeth is gorilla-like, apparently).

However, pictures of him steering Katie this way and that in public demonstrated (according to this professional people watcher) that Katie was completely comfortable with this dominance. In fact, her behaviour was entirely “submissive”.

Thus, the prediction was that their marriage was just fine and dandy.

I tend to agree. Whilst she may be having some teething problems with Tom’s idea of the perfect wife and how she should behave, I tend to think that they will sort it out. I don’t have any inside scoop, mind you. It’s just what I think.

It did set my mind wondering. Can you tell I’m submissive by the way I act with my husband when in public? Well, probably, yes, you can. I often have my arm in his. I often hold his hand. I keep very close to him and I allow myself to be led through a crowd. He often whispers into my ear and then I often respond by doing what he tells me. Waiters learn pretty quickly not to bother talking to me and stall holders soon realize that it is my husband who will pay them.

And what if the body movement expert could read my mind? Well, shortly before I was reading the magazine in the waiting room, waiting for my husband, I was in the ‘recovery room’ waking from a routine procedure. And, what was the very first thought in my mind?

“Oh, shit! No more excuses! I’m in for it now!”

What would the expert make of that?

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 21, 2009

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir J

    Sorry! Must have pressed the wrong button

    ReplyDelete