Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Keys of the kingdom

“Girl, isn’t it time you were on your way?”

“Yes. I am just looking for my car keys. I thought I left them on the kitchen bench.”

“Yes, you did and I hung them on the key ring. You are falling back into bad habits. I’ve been noticing your keys in various locations about the house. What is the rule?”

“That I put my keys on the key ring.”

“That’s right.”

“All right. Into the bedroom before you go.”

“I can’t! I will be late!”

“You would not be late if you had put your keys where they belong and if you had got going already, would you?”

“But...”

“Would you?”

“No, but...”

“And, what haven’t you asked for?”

“My maintenance.”

“That’s right. Over you go. It will have to be the cane, I’m afraid.”

“No! No, really, I will be very late.”

“Quickly! Stop wasting time.”

“There will be five strokes over your skirt. Stay down now!”

“Owwww”

“You so need this. You need a lot more of this.”

“Owwwww!”

“Stay still now and take your medicine. This is doing you lots of good.”

“Owwwwww!!”

“Don’t you dare come up!”

“Owwwwwwwww!!!”

“One more. Be still.”

“Owwwwwwwwwww!!!!”

“And, what happens when you come up? Girl? What happens?”

“We start again.” Whimper

“That’s right. Unfortunately, we start again. You have to learn.”

“One”

“Owww!”

“Two”

“It hurts!

“Maybe, you’ll remember to stay down next time. Three.”

“Ow. Ow. Owwww!”

“Four”

“Owwwwwww”

“Five. You may come up. Quickly now! What do you say?”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“And, where do your keys belong?”

“On the key ring.”

“That’s right. Give me a kiss now and be on your way.”

“Goodbye, Sir.”

“That's a good girl. Goodbye, little one. Drive safely now.”

“Yes, Sir.”

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 15, 2009

    for many years h searched for her keys all the time. Oddly now they are always on the key rack by the front door and her coat is hung up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir J

    Why, "oddly"? I suspect there is nothing odd about it at all. What strategy did YOU use?

    ReplyDelete