Friday, July 24, 2009

Count your blessings

One of the nicest things you can do for yourselves as a married couple, I believe, is to go out together, to a formal function. Formal functions require formal attire and as soon as one starts to prepare for such an evening, the pleasure begins. I had fun late afternoon choosing my outfit, showering,doing my hair, my nails and my makeup, putting on my perfume.

Of course, it doesn't take him long when he returns from the city to have a shower and put on a tuxedo, but I think he understands by now that girls need that lead in time to make themselves look their beautiful best. And, I did. I did feel good.

When I came out of my room, good to go, the older children were very impressed. Both photography enthusiasts, they snapped a variety of shots of me alone, and with my husband, their Dad, and it really was good fun. It felt a bit like a school formal, because that is what we had done for them; snap away in order to remember that special moment.

It was not lost on my husband that I was wearing my special necklace as well as my special bracelet, but this time I was wearing the beautiful silver, slightly irregular 'O' with my multiple stranded fine red leather necklace, which matched the colour of my nail polish. It was a stroke of genius at the time he bought it that he asked the woman to order in the red leather necklace as well as the black one that came with the pendant. I love the contrast with the black clothes, I must say.

So, it turned out to be one of those events where there is a silent auction. I rather like those sorts of auctions and I wandered about looking for something on which to make a bid. Were the smiles I got from various men simply ones of politeness and admiration, or did they read more into the choices of what I had chosen to wear around my neck and wrist? I will never know. Nor will they ever know that the 'night and dinner in the city' prize, won by me, would see us enjoying a very kinky and smutty weekend some time soon.

We danced the night away, really. We had the best time doing that. But, as well, we met some very interesting couples on our table, for our invitation had come from an old friend, and these other people were strangers to us. One lovely man engaged me in conversation and to our delight we had so much in common. He'd lived overseas where we had, we'd been born in the same town, he's attended the same university and at the same time, and even was in the college next to me. It had simply taken a few more decades for us to meet. I wasn't sure about his wife at first. He seemed a bit disengaged from her. But, when they went onto the dance floor, I could see that decades of marriage, children and an international life, had done nothing to diminish their connection at all; like us. When he left, a big bear of an Indian man, he hugged both my husband and I tight. We were of the same ilk.

Marriage has its tough spots; like life. Yet, it is who I am; a married woman with children; a beautiful, happy and loving family. It is what I always wanted. My need and desire for opportunities to express and explore my kink is a side of me that few people will ever see, but it remains a very important part of me and I think it always will. I am loved for who I am. I don't think you can ask for more than that.

3 comments:

  1. This made me sigh a happy sigh while reading it. How lovely.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 24, 2009

    wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryann and Gray: Thank you. You are very kind.

    ReplyDelete