Monday, July 27, 2009

I am sorry

In my university years, I had a waitress's job. The customers would come up to the blackboard and make their selections for dinner and then they would place their order with me. I can still recall in detail, a particular couple who stood at the blackboard deciding what they would order. They were about thirty years old. At the time, I considered them the ideal couple. He was attentive and loving to her, and she was basking in that love and attention. It was obvious they were having trouble keeping their hands off each other.

It was exactly what I wanted; to be in love and for a man to be in love with me. In my late teens and early twenties, I tended to want to be thirty. I wanted to have the air of sophistication that I felt a thirty year old carried. I wanted the sense of stability that I felt came with being thirty; a home of one's own and a little bit of money to decorate it tastefully. It is no secret that I am a bit of a homing pigeon. My thoughts were always to make a comfortable home and to share it with a man.

I thought about that couple as I walked this morning, right around the river. It felt good to be out early amongst the bikers and walkers and my mind was drifting, trying to settle itself from listening to my husband's upsetting words. I thought about my kink and all that has happened in the past three years. And, I thought back to the young girl that I was; wanting love and stability.

As our marriage has gone on, the importance of my following his lead, come what may, has increased. He will brook no argument with me and under those circumstances, I do my best to contain my thoughts, my needs and my wants. I do my best to live the life that he has deemed is the one we will live.

When he is good to me, loving and kind, my little world seems much bigger and better than any celebrity or heiress. When he is rude and without understanding for my concerns, my little world caves in on me. I wonder why I am living in such a cramped, little space.

For a woman to express her submission with ease and beauty, she needs her man to treat her very well. Therein is the secret of the D/s relationship. A woman such as me is prepared to lose everything, even her humanity at times, if the dominant man of her life treats her with the utmost respect.

It is for this reason that I continue to believe that a man in a D/s relationship, has no alternative but to express his apology when his behaviour has been below par. He loses nothing by doing so and in fact, her respect for him is restored. Three little words will change her day and her mindset. I see no reason why dominance and humility cannot, at times, be perfect partners.

6 comments:

  1. As the leader in my relationship I strive to behave in a way that is always fair and correct. I don't always manage it. I would like to think that my transgressions are few and far between, I hope they are, but when I get it wrong, I apologise and I mean it. If it is a major transgression, and there have been one or two over the years, I actively ask for forgiveness and am thankful for receiving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 28, 2009

    Mr C said it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 28, 2009

    Vesta, I really liked this post.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr C and Sir J: I'm not surprised that you agree with one another! LOL

    And, I do, in fact, agree with your approach as well. Those three little words mean a great deal to a submissive woman, and in return, it is most important that she acknowledge them and accept the apology. Whilst I also agree with those who would say, "The sub has something to do with the mistake" and I did, it doesn't negate the importance of the dom acknowledging his part in the whole fiasco. In this way, the two of them drive on, almost as if nothing had happened, and we did.

    Thank you! I am delighted that you are both readers and that you leave me comments. It is much appreciated.

    Ally: Thank you very much and welcome to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so agree with you!

    I think it shows an incredible amount of strength for any dominant to acknowledge and take responsibility for their actions. I think it is difficult for them because they know that their submissive places them on a pedestal most of the time. So, when they fall off for a split second, jaws drop. Everyone will make mistakes eventually. It's just a matter of how they are dealt with.

    Saying "I am sorry" does not lower one's status. Dominants aren't immune to mistakes and that's okay.

    I think it is more so a balance of respect.

    Wonderful post! :)

    ReplyDelete