Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Preview

I am sorry not to have a little something for you earlier in the day, dear readers. In fact, I did write something for you first thing this morning. I sent it off for approval bright and early, before I left for the day. However, when I dashed home mid afternoon to check my 'in box', I found that my piece had been “declined”. There was no explanation.

So, dear readers, let us not be deterred. Let’s try something that requires no approval at all:

My husband had worked long into the night, and being a very good wife, early this morning, I quietly tip toed out of bed, and helped my son to prepare for school. Upon returning home, I wrote the aforementioned post for you; the one you won’t see because of the lack of approval. I was in my sweatpants and such, as one does when running late to get one’s child to school. I decided to wait until my husband surfaced for the day before I disturbed him to take a shower and change.

I was sitting at my desk, when he arrived into the room all chipper and dressed for the day.

“What do you think you are doing, girl?”
“You were asleep.”
“What do we do on this day?”
“Well, do you still want to go?”
“Of course, I still want to go. How long will it take you to get ready?”
“Maybe, ten minutes...
“Off you go, then. And, don’t waste a moment.”

So, off I went to have a shower and dress. I was as quick as I could be, maybe a little more than ten minutes. He came into the bedroom when I was all set to go.

“Ready?”
“Yes, I am ready.”
“Well, you need some encouragement to be ready sooner; a reminder that I don’t have time to wait around for you.”

He went to his cupboard and took out a cane

“Bend over the chair. Come on, quickly! You know what to do. Bring your bottom out further. And, arch that back!”

I complied with all instructions, of course. He brought the cane down three times, and by the time he was finished I was taking quick breaths to try to settle myself. It was not that the three strokes had been that awful (although sitting is not comfortable at all this afternoon). It was the fact that another circumstance could find me waiting for another 22. How would I ever get through it? And, when would I ever sit down again?”

“All right, stand up.”

I stood up and turned around.

“Let that be a lesson to you. When I tell you to hurry, you will hurry.”
“Yes Sir”
“Right. Let’s go.”

And, that my friends, is akin to the short movie you might get before watching ‘War and Peace.’ Think about that and tell me you don’t feel for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment