Friday, March 13, 2009

My Stable

I know what they are up to. Inch by inch, they are containing me in the stable. It’s a nice stable, they tell me. Even though it looks a bit small, it’s got a cosy feel , they say, and there is everything inside that I will need. I know that they are right, of course. I was the one that said I wanted to be in the stable, after all.

So, why do I resist staying in the stable? If it’s so cosy and appealing, and I’m sure that I am suited to life in the stable, why do I resist?

For every poor choice, for all bad behaviour, I am told, there is a consequence.

Well I know that! I don’t need anybody to tell me that. I was the model student at school. Not in the least interested in unpleasant consequences, I did my work, paid attention, was polite and co-operative as a child. I saw the consequences, and they were not in the least appealing. I was so good it was sickening.

But, their training is another story altogether. The lessons are much harder, this time. Sure, I see the consequences. They are spelled out to me in black and white. I can hardly miss them. But, their lessons eat into my ‘sensibilities’. And when a girl’s sensibilities are at stake, she’ll resist like there is no tomorrow. (I’m told that people may miss my jokes. You can tell I’m having fun writing this, right?)

But, with every new message, I see exactly what is happening. Like a horse being led back into the stable, ultimately, I have no choice.

“Fillies need handling,” my husband once said, as I stood there in the corner, seething. “They need the stones taken out of their hooves,” he said, as he picked up one foot and massaged between my toes.

Janus once said that I must not go out on the meadow alone, again. When I was ready, he’d take me there, with my lead on, he said. I think it was meant to be a joke, but I got the point.

I like the stable they have made for me. And, as far as they are concerned, I am going into the stable and they are putting the bolt on the door!

They haven’t said, but they might as well have said, “We can do it the easy way or we can do it the hard way. “

So, knowing all that, as I do, why do I so often pick the hard way? Well, it’s back to the sensibilities again. You see, I want to be told what to do, but I don’t much like it sometimes when I have to do what they tell me. Go figure!

A dom friend of mine told me just the other day (and you know who you are!) that it’s best to get them when they are young. You can train them your way then, he said. Of course, I laughed. I love it when men just say what they think. But, I didn’t come down in the last shower. I am at an age where some might call me a “challenge”.

So why, when I was ready to buck my rider off and go galloping through the woods, one time not so long ago, did the words, “You are a great sub” have me come to a firm halt? Why did I so instantaneously allow them to put my bridle back on, attach my lead, and lead me back to the stable?

Well, because that is what I want to be; a great sub. I have so much to learn, but I am willing. Even though I have all the woods around me, and a very nice meadow in which to play, I want that stable! So, open the door please, I’m on my way. And, thank you, too, for your patience, which you have in spades. I appreciate you both more than I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment