Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Impropriety

Dear Readers,

A few days ago, I wrote about a ‘chat’ conversation I had with a friend of mine who happens to be a dominant man. You may remember that in that conversation he encouraged me to be a good girl and go and ask for my correction. I wrote the post, being very careful not to mention the man by name, of course. However, after I put up the post, I must admit, I had some misgivings, for I confess that I did not seek his permission before excerpting the discussion on this little blog of mine.

The weekend went by and there was no irate email to be found in my inbox, but still, I knew my behaviour lacked propriety. On Monday evening, that little window of his was open again. I felt I had to take the bull by the horns; face my demons, so to speak.

I’ve tried to write a summary of our conversation for you; to give you a sense of the flavour of the conversation, without actually writing down the conversation. But, I think you’ll agree the conversation is priceless, and thus, with his consent, I provide you all with part of the transcript:

“Are you cross?”
“Not in the slightest.”
“Are you sure?”
“Quite sure. Would you prefer that I were cross?"
“No. I thought you might have something to say about a post of mine.”
“Let's be more direct.”
“About writing up our last 'chat', in a sense.”
“Would you like to hear my thoughts on that post, Vesta?”
“Yes please, but remember, you said, you weren't cross.”
“Then, you need to ask to hear my thoughts.”
“May I please have your thoughts about that post, if you would be so kind?”
“Why, certainly. It made me laugh. It tickled me to have made enough of an impact to find my way into a post of yours.”
“Oh, that's grand. Perfect.”
“However, there was some impropriety involved.”
“I love that you have a sense of humour. There's always a catch...”
“Always. Don't you think it would've been the proper and polite thing to ask me if I wouldn't mind our conversation being excerpted in a post?”
“You are absolutely right. It has been on my mind. It was impolite of me. I feel bad about that.
Is there something I can do to make it up to you...other than to apologize and request your permission in future?”
“ Hmmm You can compose a post that lists the various ways in which you most recently have been a bad girl.”
“You ALMOST had that idea on the tip of your tongue...”
“And then appeal to your readers what would be the proper way in which to deal with your impropriety.”
“Surely you jest.”
“Why would you think I'd jest?”
“You have a good sense of humour! Is there any other way...?”
“So, what needs to be done is clear then, yes?”
“Are you enjoying my discomfort?”
“I hadn't noticed much discomfort.”
“What had you noticed, then?”
“Back pedalling.”
“Oh, I don't want to be seen as a back pedaller. Can you give me a bit more direction on this post you have in mind? If you would be so kind...”
“You are to explicitly state that you were reprimanded for a transgression and part of your punishment is to list 25 things in which you were a bad girl. Then, explain to your audience that you are instructed to turn to them for feedback as proper punishment for those 25 things.” and so on.

There you have it, dear readers...the situation as it unfolded. Let it not be said that I put my own spin on this situation. I have admitted my fault, and I have accepted the consequences.

Next time I write to you, I will post a list of 25 ways in which I have recently been a bad girl. Please understand if the items on the list are occasionally lame. When you are a good girl much of the time, one must really stretch to locate 25 things. It was specifically made clear to me that ‘thoughts’ should be a part of the list, and so I will reveal a little of my thinking rather than just bad behaviour. As you now know, I have also been asked to call upon you, my readers, to suggest suitable ways to deal with my impropriety.

I am certainly working on ‘the list’, and will post again as soon as possible. A deadline has been imposed and the clock is ticking.

Yours sincerely,
Vesta

4 comments:

  1. Please understand if the items on the list are occasionally lame. When you are a good girl much of the time, one must really stretch to locate 25 things.

    Most certainly the list of 25 things will include hubris?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear David:

    If you insist.

    You see, when your comment came through, I was stuck on #22, really searching around for what such an incredibly good girl like me could possibly add to the list, and so, your suggestion was timely.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologizing in advance is definitely bad behavior. You should list that.

    --Janus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Janus.

    I don't know how I missed that!

    ReplyDelete