Saturday, March 28, 2009

Light the Way

My children have their different strengths and interests, and my husband and I have been avid and willing spectators. We’ve watched many games of sports with various balls, and we’ve watched them row down rivers. We have seen them dance and sing and act; play instruments. It’s been a lot of fun.

There are special moments. Moments you never forget. Moments that come back to you and make you smile, over and over again.

Here is one example. He was part of a crew, and they had been asked for a mighty big effort all season. It got to the big final day and their coach gave them one of his big time speeches. You know; he hoped they’d win; he thought they would win, but there was the possibility that they might get beaten. There was some very stiff competition and there was that chance. So, he wanted them to know now that, in his eyes, they were winners no matter what. They were a fine set of young men and he was deeply and passionately proud of them.

To watch the boys give their minds and hearts to the task in front of them was an awesome experience. Rowed through twice, they refused to be beaten. One boy told me later that my son and his best friend, through their utter exhaustion had called out,

“Come oooonnnnn!! Let’s fuck these losers!!!!”

Adrenaline carried them all the way to the line to beat the record and win victory for their team, their coach, their school.

My heart was in my stomach the whole race. There were thousands of people urging them on, a sea of spectators riding every last stroke with them, and when they went over the line, victorious, the celebration was so sweet.

But, like me, he’s quiet and contained and reserved about his successes. Sure, he was happy but in an introspective way. They had to row past us to get home again, and in their own divine way, they did it with aplomb; perfectly, just as they had been trained. I wished they would take in the moment a little more; cherish it, take in all the praise they deserved. They were right in front of us all, about to row past, and suddenly, as one, they changed their minds. They stopped rowing and sat there in their boat and just listened to us whooping it up and going wild.

Still, my boy didn’t look up, hiding under his cap. And then, for one brief, shining moment, he did. He raised his head a little to one side, to look through his eyebrows at the adoring crowd. And, he smiled. And, I smiled that he had smiled.

And, it is a moment I will never, ever forget. I could not possibly have been more proud or more happy for him. I felt exultant. My spirits had soared to a higher place.

If you do it right, a D/s relationship can make your spirits soar. You can be risen up, for a moment here or there, where you believe you can walk on water. You believe in yourself because someone believes in you.

One little moment at a time, you can change somebody’s day, somebody’s outlook, and somebody’s life.

Out there in the vanilla world I think many people think that domination and submission is about something dark. My premise here is that domination and submission can light the way.

4 comments:

  1. My premise here is that domination and submission can light the way.

    This sentiment, for a newbie such as myself, is not only beautiful but it is also something to strive for in my relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aurore:

    That I touched one person means everything to me.

    Thank you for writing to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I say yes again!

    Though I have not been able to wrangle my words as beautifully as you do Vesta I to have believed in the light too.

    I love how you express yourself and I love how visiting your little world makes me feel.

    Bless you,
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear denise

    Your words make me smile. It is such an embracing thing, the blog. I love that I can make someone's day better, and I assure you, such lovely comments make my day better, too!

    ReplyDelete