Wednesday, July 11, 2012

When nothing happens

I hadn't intended to write here. I'm up early to do my 'discussion board' actually but a quick check of my emails offered me a comment by a correspondent who said that my life seemed like "a film" in comparison to his life. I had to smile because I was immediately taken back to a much earlier time in my life when I was working. In fact, you could say that it was the perfect preparation for keeping a regular blog.

My boss often travelled. Once a year, usually, he travelled overseas for 3 or  more weeks and my life became much quieter for that time. But, I still kept him up to date on all the happenings of the office and the business world back home. Each day I cut out clippings from the relevant newspapers and made summaries for him so that when he returned he knew just what had happened whilst he was away.

He also often just ducked up to another big city for the day, returning before the close of day. Sometimes I'd wait for him and sometimes I just wanted to go home and get a meal going so I'd leave him a list of all the things that happened that day. Sometimes I'd be cheeky and say something at the end of the list like

Here are your tablets to take. Take them or don't. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!

Several times he said to me that quite a bit had happened whilst he was away and I'd say, "No, not really; it was a very standard sort of day." And, he'd say, "But, you have a way of making something out of nothing, Vesta."

Perhaps I do. Perhaps I do have a way of making something out of nothing and I think that's a bit of an art actually. Perhaps it explains why I so love movies where nothing happens. I took my son to see Take This Waltz. 

"What do you think?" I ask when it was over.

"Well...nothing happened...," he offered.

I love it when nothing happens, but being 15 I think Prometheus is more his thing.

Anyways, nothing is happening here really. It's going to be a gorgeous clear and sunny day. The lake is like glass and I'm sitting here typing these words. It's a glamorous life I lead, indeed! Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this post and I agree with you that it is an art. It takes creativity to catch little oddities and special moments in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serenity: I think a good imagination helps; an active mind and a willingness to enjoy the little moments. I remember you once talked about making the bed and putting lavender in the pillowcases and I had a tinge of guilt. Maybe I should do that too!? I remember thinking I wish I could get into your bed and what pleasure it must be for your family to have you so committed to all the lovely details.

    It's just possible that writing is so much a part of me and how I process that I need to write down just about anything and everything. I'm grateful that people tolerate it. I imagine many people must wonder what the hell I am going to write about next. I shall try hard to stay on topic.

    ReplyDelete