Friday, July 27, 2012

Rules

As you might have gathered by now, my abilities to lead are somewhat limited. I prefer garnering co-operation rather than actually telling someone what to do. However, I have two dogs. Well, in fact, the family has two dogs but they consider me the person on whom they should rely. It may well be that they just see me as a more senior member of their dog pack rather than their owner. Certainly, I am the person who mostly feeds them and walks them and when I go out in the car for short periods of time, they accompany me. Apparently, the male dog sits and whimpers should I not be able to take him, regardless of the fact that he has other human company with him at home.

I'm happy to look after them and I try to walk the line of looking after them well but not spoiling them and allowing them to display bad behavior. They are very possessive and protective of me and unfortunately they are inclined to chase after people around me in the park to let them know that they can't do anything to me. I growl at them every time and tell them not to do it but on one level, I get why they do it. I try to be strict and I try to ensure that they behave well but they are, at the end of the day, two prissy little white dogs.

For nearly three years I have been trying to teach them that they may never go to the toilet in my house. They understand this rule. They really, really do. However, when it is raining, and it has rained a lot this winter, they conveniently forget this rule and go and find some quiet place to urinate. Maybe they both do this or maybe only one of them does this dastardly deed. I can't prove anything at all. So, I become very, very angry with them and take them to the spot and rub their noses in it and my anger with them has them running for their dog door and out into the safety of the backyard.

I try to make a big deal of it so that their tiny little brains might register that it isn't worth being naughty. However, when it suits them, they go and do it all over again as if none of those smacks, or my anger, or those hours spent outside in disgrace matter to them at all. They'd rather avoid the rain and accept the consequences later. And there's nothing kinky about this; there's no upside to getting into trouble. They don't on any level enjoy the consequences. They just choose to ignore the fact that there will be consequences.

As I am sure you have guessed such an occurrence has just occurred. I was beside myself with anger. They are in no doubt that they are in disgrace. However, should I let them in and they want to urinate and outside it is raining, they are likely to do it all over again. They are creatures of comfort; whatever suits them!

Some rules are really not meant to be broken. Some rules must stand. Some rules are integral to the functioning of people and that is all there is to that. I'm meant to be the authority figure here and if I say there's no urinating in my house, I mean it! So, why do they take it with a grain of salt???

No comments:

Post a Comment