Friday, October 30, 2009

Aging gracefully

Two little occurrences this morning when out and about got me thinking:

The first occurrence happened at the nail salon. I was sitting in the spot where one sits to dry one's nails when a woman about my age came and sat down beside me. I said,

"Now comes the hard part!"

She said:

"I know! It's torture, isn't it? Sitting here doing nothing...thinking about all the things we have to do...what to make for dinner, how to organize all the kids for the weekend..."

I nodded and smiled. This is just the sort of thing that I have been working on lately...letting go. There is a time for work and there is a time for play. Women need to learn when to let go!

Secondly, whilst I had my morning coffee shortly thereafter, I read a comment by Sarah Murdoch, the gorgeous naturally beautiful daughter-in-law of Rupert Murdoch. Apparently, she has asked that her photos not be touched up. She wants to grow old gracefully, without the use of treatments that so often leave women without expression in their faces. She wants to "embrace" the aging process.

Well, I do tend to agree with her. I think a woman can look quite beautiful as she ages if she has the confidence to carry it off. Of course, Sarah didn't mean that a woman should let herself go. That is an entirely different matter. Maintaining a healthy weight, looking after one's skin, keeping out of the sun at certain times, getting adequate sleep and rest and eating well are what is important here. I would add to that, that a youthful outlook is critical, too. You truly are only as old as you feel.

Relaxing and letting go at times, ceding control to one's owner, maintaining a fit and healthy body, and remaining youthful with vitality; this is the key to aging well as a submissive woman, I think. The style one chooses is an altogether different thing. A rule of thumb would be, if the man in your life has a desire to undress you as soon as possible, then you are on a good thing and should stick with it.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, as Master likes to say: mature and in top shape!

    Cheers Vesta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! People wonder how I can be in my late 30's and still look like I'm in my early 20's. Well... taking care of your skin is a good start. And staying out of the sun, and using sunblock and wearing a hat when you are out in the sun. Most people don't realize that the wrinkles you see on many older people is caused by dry skin. If you keep it clean and moisturized, you won't get wrinkles... well I don't have even the slightest hint of wrinkles yet, so I must be doing something right.

    Then again... I don't have any gray hair yet either, and I don't know how I managed that one. My mom had salt and pepper hair by the time she was my age. A lot of people say it's stress related when you gray early. I suppose all that meditation has done me good too. :-D

    spirited *having the last laugh on all those who have been telling me I was nuts over the last 20 years of my life*

    ReplyDelete