Wednesday, October 7, 2009

On being strict

I have noticed myself using the word "strict" now and then. I called one post a few months ago, 'Strict Masters' and lately I told my counselling friend that he was "strict". He seemed to be a bit taken aback by that. Or, he enjoyed being called strict: one or the other.

"How am I strict?" he wanted to know.

As usual, I needed to think carefully and provide a precise answer. You know these dominant types! A girl has to back up what she says. One statement only leads to the next. Love that!

So this evening, for a bit of fun (what can I say!?) I looked up the definition of 'strict'.

Precise; exact: a strict definition.
Complete; absolute: strict loyalty.
Kept within narrowly specific limits: a strict application of a law.
Rigorous in the imposition of discipline: a strict parent.
Exacting in enforcement, observance, or requirement: strict standards.
Conforming completely to established rule, principle, or condition: a strict vegetarian.
Botany. Stiff, narrow, and upright.

Well, look at that! Ring any bells for anyone? Is there a word more apropos D/s?

I confess I got a giggle out of the botany definition - stiff, narrow and upright. Any doms out there who can identity with being stiff, narrow and upright?

9 comments:

  1. Vesta: Great line about a dom being stiff, narrow and upright. I bet being strict and controlling you does that to your Master and I'm sure you love submitting because you know it pleases your Master. Is he making a deliberaate attempt to become more strict because it increases his control? I'm sure you're looking forward to him doing that.

    Enjoy the journey.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brain is taking an interesting direction these days, so this makes me wonder, do you think you are strict with yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to see if any doms bite on that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Florida Dom: Thank you for joining in the joke. I like a dom with a good sense of humor.
    Unfortunately, he doesn't have the time right now to be strict with me in ways that are much fun. And, I miss that a lot. He is being strict about insisting I show patience and tolerance. Certainly, that is increasing his control. However, this sort of strictness doesn't do much for either of us in a botanical sense (!) so I've got another idea in mind for later today.

    green girl: A lot of my mentoring work has to do with me letting go; letting go of that over-thinki brain of mine and having fun. The other part has to do with conforming to guidelines that aid that happening. In other words, I am being encouraged to take good care of myself, to have fun and in turn for him to have fun with me. So, my mentoring is about being strict about letting the girly girl inside of me have her way. That may sound doubledutch at the moment, but it's working a treat for me. It makes complete sense to me. I'm being strict with myself about incorporating as much fun into my life as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jz: Well, I'm waiting patiently...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vesta,
    That's a whole loop I never would have forseen. When I think of being strict with myself, I think of mental discipline, what I need to do to excel at my job, managing what i need to at home, taking care of the kids, and enough exercise to stay healthy. You've stopped me in my tracks; I think I know what I need to work on, but I really don't know what his opinion would be. I wonder... And I wonder why it hasn't occurred to me to ask him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. greengirl: Well, I did that for decades; tried to be the perfect person to everyone in my life and juggle all the balls. It's a habit now and who I am. But, these days, the balance (and happiness) in my life comes from allowing myself to really be who I truly always was; a submissive woman who wants to feel some control; who wants to play. Certainly, talking to your man about that would be enlightening for him, but the important work, I think, comes in 'letting go'; in allowing yourself the right to be happy. Happiness is contagious and will do neither him nor anyone else you love any harm at all. Once he catches onto that concept, he will embrace it, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stiff, narrow, and upright Doms would never bite on such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David: Ah well; it was worth a try.

    ReplyDelete