Sunday, September 6, 2009

Shedding the light

A few days ago, my husband asked me if he should count me 'in' to the weekend's football game. From time to time in the past, I've been 'told off' about my choice to stay home. He has had difficulty seeing why I find it such an effort to watch the game with him at the ground. I told him to count me in. At the time, I thought it might actually be enjoyable but more to the point, I wanted to please him.

In fact, I did enjoy watching the game from the stand but there came a time when I felt a need to move about. I excused myself and off I went to stand in the line at the coffee cart. A cup of coffee sounded mildly appealing, but in truth I was there to watch; to have the opportunity to watch all the people moving about me. Sometimes, I enjoy engaging with the person in front or behind me in a line, but today I was happy enough with my own thoughts.

'Why couldn't they put a little more effort into their appearance, I wondered? Was 'scruffy' the new 'in' look and I had not been advised, or were they simply not prepared to try to look their best?'

The people with whom we had come to the football had come dressed in the same way they might be dressed for some gardening, whilst I had had to convince my husband that my most showy coat might look out of place. Thank heavens, he finally agreed with me, or I could never have stood in that line anonymously as I did. You see, not only do I not need the attention of a crowd, but I find it altogether uncomfortable to have such attention.

It is not lost on me, however, that I do seek 'attention' of another kind. Not unlike a dog who seeks the company of her owner, I thrive on the one on one attention of a man. I don't see this as 'attention seeking' or being an 'attention sponge' so much as I see it as a necessity of the person that I am. In the company of a man who understands me for who I am, I can be most myself.

Sometimes, when my husband and I are sharing a meal out together, or even if we've stopped somewhere for a cup of tea, I become animated about a topic. Whilst there are times when I'm happy to just be the listener, I certainly have moments when I step up to the podium and voice my opinions, or regale him with anecdotes and stories.

"I love it when you talk passionately like that," he will often say.

Girls like me are a conundrum. Confident and worldly on a certain level, we seek the security of a certain type of man, a man who understands us for who we are, quite naturally. For, you see, deep inside what frightens us most is 'rejection'. We go to a lot of effort to keep that a secret, but I'm self aware enough to know that so much of what I do is all about that.

Recently, I looked back on the messages that Janus sent me in the past several months. His business life has required much more of his time and when he wrote it was usually to tell me that he was still "very busy". One day, he wrote to say that he wanted me to be sure to understand that writing to say that he was busy was not a rejection, but rather an attempt to allow me to feel that I was not being rejected.

Unfortunately, it does not work like that. Submissive women such as myself, crave a certain type of attention much as children must be fed nutritious meals, in order to thrive and grow. If they should not receive that attention; if they should feel rejected as well, they begin to stagnate.

A submissive woman is unlikely to hanker for the limelight. However, she does require her man to shed light on her. Once lit up, she shines most brightly.

6 comments:

  1. Vesta,

    I'm still very busy, of course. So, it can take me a long time to check in on your blog. This time, I had the very sweet experience of finding your discussion about my mentoring. I can only say that one very important success factor is that the mentoree was so dedicated and responsible.

    Any lack of response on my part, I assure you, had no element of rejection in it. But, of course, it's nearly impossible not to feel a bit rejected when the other doesn't respond as you need.

    One thing you can be sure of, though, is that I'll be reading your blog. With pleasure.

    --Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, Vesta, how right you are about submissive women seeking out attention, and a lack of response feeling like rejection. This was key for me in refusing to continue in my LDR. Every moment of silence felt like a rejection, no matter what I was told. It simply hurt too much. And I'm very much woman who has a strong need for physical contact. LDRs can't provide that, no matter what.

    And I also grinned when your husband said that he loves to see you and listen to you when you're passionately discussing topics near and dear to your heart. Mr Right says the same thing of me.

    I've always said that I like being the center of attention only when I place myself there. And that's what I do in a courtroom setting - I place myself in the center of attention. And, in those conditions, I thrive. But, in private, I only want Mr Right's attention. And if I'm a good girl, I get that attention to my heart's content.

    I'm so very happy for you.

    hugs,
    cp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vesta, you're right on so many levels. In fact, the 'neediness' factor is something I used to actively work hard to suppress. Becuase keeping things in perspective is important.

    I think too that you're completely on the money about the impact of rejection, on anyone really, but on a submissive, it is, I think even more devestating (hell, I'm not sure if it is in the Dominant's Workbook about mastering being a rather demanding task?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silence does, indeed, feel like rejection.
    It riles us up and deflates our twirl, fer sher.

    But somehow when we explain, we're over-reacting...
    (sighs and shakes head...)

    Jz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Rich,

    Thank you for the lovely compliment. Whilst I feel sure that there are submissive qualities that still need work (and I'm thinking 'obedience' here...) I have no hesitation in referring to the mentoring as successful. You taught me a great deal about myself and how to be a better person and a better marriage partner and I'll always be grateful for that.

    You've got the job ahead of you to achieve your goals and it will take all your time and effort. I wish you all the best, and am heartened that we can remain in touch and the best of friends.

    With love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cutesy pah: As I am happy for you! You sound so happy and relaxed these days, and yes, I think LDRs are deeply challenging, depending on what you are looking for out of them. I agree that when one consciously puts oneself in the centre of attention, that works well. I once read that certain personality types say very little until they choose and then when they are ready, they say a lot. Does that sound familiar?

    selkie: I used to suppress the 'neediness' factor too, but I wonder if it isn't better to just acknowledge it as part of who we are. I've noticed that my husband now understands my needs better that this is out on the table. He's more likely these days to come and seek me out and take care of my needy soul.

    Rejection is just awful. I'm not entirely sure that men know how tough it can be on us, perhaps not even being aware that they are, in fact, rejecting us. But, really, it goes with the territory, I think. I've been surrounded by dominant men all my life. They've all been ambitious in various ways and all highly focussed on the prize. So, I should know by now that they are not necessarily 'rejecting' me, but nevetheless, it sure feels that way.

    But, I give you the immortal words of my husband;"You can't fuck a porcupine." If we want attention we need to be nice.

    Jz: Ah yes! The "overreaction" response! Yes, the men in my life have always managed to make me feel that, and once I've settled myself down, I often agree with them. I mean, it's not just lovers, or anything. I remember feeling that my brother was rejecting me once he had his licence and he didn't need me to drive him around anymore. It is not impossible that I'm an oversensitive soul.

    ReplyDelete