Friday, September 4, 2009

Containment - an introduction

If you look about the blogs of submissive girls, you will see a word used fairly regularly - containment. If one asked each of us what that word meant, no two answers are likely to be exactly the same. So, my sense of 'containment' and my feelings about it are really just my own, and take from them what you will.

I think one of the best ways that I can explain to readers what I appreciate about containment is to give you an example of being contained from the recent past; one which remains very clear in my mind...

In the process of my 'discipline' relationship, I was given a task to do on a daily basis. I confess that I'm not especially good with routines. Sure, I get up and get the children off to school, and make breakfast and do my exercises, and so on, but if I didn't have to get up for various reasons, I might read a little in bed, or take my porridge and a cup of tea back to bed and write a little. I'm not particularly enamored with the notion of having to do something every single day. I did not intend to be disobedient. Rather, I put the task off to later in the day, and sometimes, at the very end of the day, it was not done and I felt too tired to get it done. Like that.

So, Janus would ask me by email every so often, was I doing my daily task? Had I missed any days and which days were they? Well, I often had missed a day here or there, and although I was tempted to lie, I didn't lie. I told him when I had missed the task. On paper, with someone actually keeping track of this, things didn't look so good. It must have seemed to him, (and rightly so) that 'obedience' was not my strong suit.

One day, an email arrived telling me that I had left him with no choice. It was incumbent upon him to issue me a "severe punishment". True to form, the message was read with a degree of righteous indignation and a real excitement. Whilst there was a slim chance that this was going to hurt, I had come to know Janus well enough that the punishment was more likely going to be something 'emotional/psychological'. I waited with anticipation for the instructions he would send and co-operated fully in ensuring that the environment was as he had asked it to be.

You see, I was to stay in my room for four hours to think about things. I was not allowed to read, or have the radio on, to watch TV, or touch my computer. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink or even go to the bathroom. All of that had to be taken care of before the containment began. As luck would have it, the children were on holidays and in a few days time my husband was travelling interstate, leaving very early in the morning. I was scheduled to be collected by a friend to attend a reunion mid morning, and so if the containment began the moment my husband left and I showered and dressed quickly immediately after the containment, it would work.

On my honour, I can attest to the fact that I followed all requirements as they were laid down, to the letter. I simply sat on my bed and thought about things. As I did this, a very strange feeling came over me. I began to feel a very strong connection to Janus and to my husband and what they were trying to do for me and I began to feel very loved. The opportunity to be still, to think, to wholly focus on my desire to be a good submissive girl was working its magic on me and I felt supremely calm and happy. I had gone to another state of being. It was divine.

Janus had told me that after I had finished the 'time out' I should do my daily task, (which I did) and email him to tell him whether I had completed the containment as he prescribed satisfactorily, or not. You see, if it wasn't done satisfactorily, he was denying me permission to go to my reunion. I emailed him and informed him that it had been done and as well, I sent the report of my feelings and thoughts during the containment, which was another requirement.

The only thing that could have possibly made that morning better for me is if he had managed to email me right back with words such as:

"Good girl. You may leave for your girlie day in my good grace. Have a good time and remember, that your obedience is expected at all times. Love, Janus"

Even so, I showered and dressed with a great sense of pleasure. I chose a white summer dress (kind of twirly) and a pretty turquoise necklace and some silver bracelets. I felt beautiful. I was serene. I was calm. I was loved. Life was perfect and as it turns out, so was our reunion. It was a wonderful gathering of lovely girls in a beautiful beach setting and I loved every moment of it. It is a gorgeous memory.

Does this make any sense to you? Does this convey to you at all my delight in 'containment'? To be cocooned in a place of love, calm and peace. There is nothing quite like that for me.

8 comments:

  1. Vesta,

    Never really called it containment, Master calls it "being still," but I do understand the purpose behind it. I don't mind it at all.

    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vesta, that is indeed an excellent explanation. I think I have a better concept of what you mean. I have never experienced anything like that - truth be told, 4 hours doing NOTHING? I would probalby have a nervous breakdown LOL - I can't find an hour to string together some 'thought/musing' time.... sighs - my day starts at 3:15 a.m. and right now it is almost 10 pm - I just finished the past 2 hours cleaning and am just waiting for laundry to finish - this on top of a 10 hour work day and everything that happened before it...

    I think what youre saying is that you are told, in essence, to sit quietly with no distractions and think about the point to your existence, the reason and the why and the wherefore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Vesta,

    I just wanted to say thank you for your blog. I am enjoying reading here very much. I see myself in much of what you say and it is nice to see a kindred soul.

    I was even moved enough by this post to delurk and leave a comment. I look forward to following along in your journey.

    Beki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vesta, Your blog is the first time I saw anyone talk about "containment", but I haven't been around long. It's descriptive of the sense of security I desire within my own relationship. I have given it some thought periodically, since I first saw you use the term. I think that I understand what you are talking about. I wasn't thinking about the exercise itself being containment (although it is), but a method of abstractly containing you, or a feeling of containment. So, when you say "containment", are you talking about being physically contained, like being contained in your room for four hours, or contained as in receiving consequnces to keep you with in some parameters of control, and more of a continuous state of being/feeling? Or do you mean both? With my husband sometimes I'll say "reign me me in", if I can't be self disciplined enough for whatever. I do understand
    "cocooned in a place of love, calm and peace"
    I seek that out too, and get that from feeling secure b/c my husband is looking out for me and my/our best interest. I enjoyed your post, if it is an introduction does that mean there's more? :)
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vesta,
    This post and the one just previous to it show what an incredible understanding you have of yourself. I'm not sure most people do (maybe this is more true among non-bloggers - the bloggers around here seem to be extrodinarliy thoughtful and self aware.) Both posts also provide a fascinating paradigm from which to examine oneself. At least for me; they both provoked me to think about how my patterns of behavior are tied to my personality and what is really the best way for me to move those behaviors back towards my goals when they stray.

    For me - I am able to take advantage of the "being still" moments throughout my day - on the train, on runs, even doing dishes. In fact, my husband would say I think too much, and he's right. His challenge is to find ways to nudge me or prod me to translate it all into action.

    It must be a very wise and tuned in husband (etc) who can identify what a particular girl needs in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girls: Thank you for your lovely, well considered comments.

    'Containment' is a very important part of the D/s relationship for me and I will, indeed, talk more about it. I suspect (and your comments suggest that I may well be right) that I am not alone in my desire for a sense of 'calm' in my life. One way of describing that is to say that I want to get in touch with the giggling, fun loving being inside of me. We spend a lot of time being serious girls, loaded down with responsibilities and worries. But, there is more to life than that, and what man doesn't want to play with his dollie sometimes; that giggling, skirt twirling dollie who doesn't like to thinki so much?

    Perhaps another way to say this is that whatever our personality type, if we have a submissive nature, we are likely to benefit from feeling cared for. To feel cared for, we need to feel a little 'cocooned'; safe, comfortable, secure. We need to put time into focussing on being true to our nature. A good dom will guide that process with opportunities for 'containment'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How intriguing - the thought of a 'time out' ... I never thought of that. Think I'd need my dom nearby though; at my age, 4 hours without a bathroom break could be ... welllll ... LOL, you know ... Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SM Maupin: For someone like me who can always find something to do, it is a bit of a blessing to actually be TOLD to be still. I'm sure modifications could be made...

    ReplyDelete