Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A dom in the making

This morning, driving my young son to school, I became aware that he had got behind on his English homework. Well aware of his interest in the computer, I was a little uppity about it.

"Well, what have you been doing?"

In typical fashion, he justified his actions, explaining calmly what he had been doing. Whilst I got a little more heated in what I said to him, he remained his calm self.

"Please don't speak to me in that way."

I was staggered. He was acting like the adult and I was acting like the child. I tried again to make my point, but alas, I remained animated.

"Please don't speak to me in that way."

This conversation wasn't going anywhere until I had myself under control.

They tell me at school that he is very smart; that he has an "amazing mind".

I agree, but lately I've also been thinking that if he has this presence of mind at this tender age, the kid is going to make the most amazing Dom for some lucky girl out there!

5 comments:

  1. he may be but for now he is a young man not doing his homework and you are the parent. Tell him he is not to speak to you that way and then tell him next time to A. answer the question and B. do his homework no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, that's how it is done?! Thanks for the tip, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, "Dad's" advice aside, I would be quite impressed with the boy, especially when he is right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do I detect sarcasm in that response?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir J: I think there is good reason for a child to have a Mummy and Daddy. Daddy responds in his way and Mummy responds in hers. The child's world is balanced. And, you would not want to argue with 'balance', surely!?

    ReplyDelete