Sunday, February 28, 2010

Distress

For a brief, shining moment we had in our midst a therapist who not only had an intense interest in dominance and submission but who was keen to write about BDSM experiences and the various psychological implications of such experiences. It is such a pity that his personal life no longer enabled him to maintain his blog because there was no finer resource for people who were concerned about issues in relation to a power exchange.

We became friends who exchanged emails and some time back when my limits were being pushed and I felt considerable resistance and worried I may be doing harm to myself, I made contact with him again for some advice. He assured me that it was all right for my edges to be pushed but that if I felt that my psyche was being tampered with such that I felt ongoing stress, it may be too much. I should trust myself to know the difference. He felt sure that I would know if I had reached that point.

Perhaps the knowledge that he trusted me to trust my own abilities in the matter was enough for me because I settled down about whatever issue it was at the time, and as usual, trusted my instincts to guide me through my inner turmoil and to a place where joy in the power exchange experience returned to my life.

I feel a very strong sense of responsibility to those who read here not to trivialize the BDSM experience or to paint it in such glowing terms as for it to appear that it comes without its problems and concerns. With so little professional advice to be offered to practitioners I can only repeat the professional advice that was offered to me and suggest to readers that they pay heed to their own mind and stop to make note of any response where one is agitated and overly emotional. I don’t think ‘upset’ necessarily means that the situation is unresolvable at all, but it does mean perhaps that the mind has thrown up an issue to be addressed.

The submissive response is so often to be the peace maker, to make things right, and in so doing a submissive can be inclined to hold onto issues found perturbing. She may be lonely or not reconciled with a decision or reverting back to long held ‘truths’ such as to express her obedience no matter how she feels. She makes the most of a situation, stays positive, accepts her lot and trusts that this will be enough as it has been enough before. Nine times out of ten, all is well and her concern evaporates much as her monthly cycle first brought her stress but then the stress was released. A woman has deep emotions and they ebb and flow within her almost beyond her control at times.

Sometimes, the upset spills over. Obedience, patience, self-control and sense of calm, be damned, she expresses herself in all her glory and her bile spills out, spewing forth her upset and inner turmoil. I don’t think it does the submissive good to run about wildly at such times. She is likely to feel even more scattered and unsafe should that take place. But, I think it essential that she be allowed to express herself and expunge her distress until her energy is dissipated. This is the soul demanding to be heard. Later, when she is quiet and subdued and reflective, her dominant will, we can but hope, talk with her calmly about what brought matters in her mind to a head and with due care put the situation back to right.

A doctor friend of mine with an interest in adolescent health said to me once that the family who expresses its emotion makes for healthy adolescents, and I think we can satisfactorily transfer this theory to the dominant submissive relationship.

Even the submissives of us who are strongly encouraged to unpack our minds on a regular basis may hold onto unresolved issues, and when they are ready to be expressed, it seems to me the dominant must listen carefully. If the submissive happens to unpack her mind with gusto and bravado once every blue moon, so be it. She did her best. Nobody’s perfect and this is an excellent time, once she is calm, to make the necessary adjustments to set her life back to right. The expression of negative emotions is not necessarily a bad thing at all. An argument can be cleansing. A submissive will return to type. She will want to reconcile and repair and ensure that the relationship is returned to status quo. She will look to her dominant to guide her through that abyss and back to safety, containment, satisfaction and ultimately, joy.

This is a time when the dominant must stand up and take the lead; calmly, responsibly, empathically. It is his girl who is upset, and it is his responsibility to ensure that she is heard. All will be well soon.

7 comments:

  1. Vesta,

    Thanks for posting this...I really needed to hear all of it.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. (And I really like the "submissive will return to type" point.)
    You will never lose your girl by hearing her out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jz and mouse: I'm glad that this made some sense. I've been reading various posts about the unwanted message you received, mouse, and not being able to sleep, I made a cup of tea and wrote up my thoughts - a mixture of how you felt, of how I feel, and a pinch of salt thrown in.

    It's not lost on me that both my husband and my mentor have asked in recent months (without asking) that I contain my emotion. And, here I am at 4 o'clock in the morning writing about emotions. What does that tell you?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your description of a submissive nails me completely. I could not have said it better myself. I am a pleaser, I go along with things in life so as to not disturb the daily rut and at times, I reach a point where I simply cannot take it anymore and I, unfortunately, "go wild" questioning everything and everyone in my path. I've been experiencing this very thing this week, so my Dom discovered last night. However, I feel strongly that should I share some of my emotions, no one would get it or understand what I mean, even if it were 4 am when I attempted to write about them. Thank you for this post!! It helps me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irony's Sub: Whilst I write this blog because it helps me, comments such as yours, which happen every now and then, are what make it all worthwhile.

    We hold it in, hold it in, hold it in, believing that we can hold it in forever. Then, when you least expect it, there goes that pressure valve, letting off steam. It is our mind looking after us; insisting that someone (in particular) pay closer attention to what is going on.

    When it is released, it is a good thing but also extremely uncomfortable and we need understanding as the equilibrium is restored. It is as much a shock to us as it is to them. Turns out we weren't perfect human beings, after all and can't hold it in forever!

    We have emotions and they must eventually be expressed, one way or the other. It is healthy. It is normal. It is human.

    I talked briefly with my husband this morning and he tells me that when he checks in with me (say, when he is ultra busy - am I okay?) I assure him that I am. I don't want to worry him. Perhaps, we need to stop trying to be so perfect along the way and let them know that we really are not all that okay at all.

    I am going to try to take my own advice here but I know that in the moment of being asked, it just seems easier to assure him that I am okay when perhaps what I *should* do is something that enables a need of mine to be met (such as ten minutes of intimacy). It is something I will continue to work on for some time to come, I think.

    Thank you very much for reaching out to me. It means a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, you have a very nice blog here!

    best regards

    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Enzo. I'm afraid there hasn't been much spanking of note to report around here, but that should alter any day now...

    ReplyDelete