Saturday, October 15, 2011

Roots in the ground

I always knew that I was going to have to hit the ground running. There was the fact that three weeks washing was awaiting me (yes, I did show him how to use the washing machine), that one son had been ill and still needed attention, that the school term had already begun, that I was late with a big writing assignment, that two suitcases needed to be unpacked and so on and so on...

At first, I recognize that I have a mountain to climb and I just put one foot in front of the other and climb. But, by day three, I feel rattled. I want my house (and my life) in order. I want some time to myself to get things done. I want some sleep and I want to go to the nail salon and get a new set of nails.

I wouldn't exactly call this perfectionism. Would you? I just want my ducks in a row, that's all. Is that a tinge of OCD? Whatever you call it, I want it.

There is where the submission comes  in because I know I need to submit to the chaos; to accept it; nay, even embrace it and recognize that instead of letting it derail me internally, I can simply continue to chip away at it and one day soon, I will look around and most things will be in their place. I will be in my place. And, all will be right in my world.

"Right here, right now, all is well in my world. Huuuuummmmm. Huuuuuuuum." My meditation teacher is a "recovering perfectionist" and every lesson, this is what she says.

When things get hectic and when there is this sense that you don't know in what direction to go because there is work in all directions, the trick is to stand still for a minute or two and register that this is just a little thing. Really, nothing is wrong at all.

Life is so often a state of mind. Turn your thinking around and turn your life around.Take a deep breath; let the stress go.

Keep in mind the root chakra; imagine those roots that exist in your body and make their way down into the earth, grounding you; supporting you.

I asked my meditation teacher before I went on holiday what I might do to ease migraine headaches which I felt was related to certain types of cloudy light.

"Remember, your root chakra," she said. The more you are supported by your roots, the less migraine headaches you will have."

I do that now. If I feel a little head achy I stop and feel the support of the earth under my feet and when I open my eyes, my head feels clear.

So much of what we feel, good or bad, relates to our thoughts and perceptions rather than what life is dishing up. I am in an untidy state and I don't like it. But, it won't last forever and it won't exactly kill me to deal with it. Everything will be entirely all right. Everything is just fine.

(P.S. If you were wondering if this is for you, my dear, you are entirely correct.)

3 comments:

  1. This could be good for so many of us i imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greengirl is right, so many of us struggle with this. Surrendering to chaos is something I do daily it seems, though it is always a struggle and sometimes I am more successful at it than others.

    I love this root meditation and am going to work with this. Thanks for sharing!

    Not sure if this was written for me, but it's exactly what I needed to read.

    Good luck playing catch up! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. GG and Serenity: It was the first chakra we did and unfortunately I didn't make notes right away but ever since then I regularly imagine that my body has a root system (like a tree) and the roots of course must grow into the ground for nutrition and water and so on. If my head feels headache-y I take the time to stop and close my eyes and be more aware of the roots going down into the ground through my feet and somehow this tricks the brain to focus on that and create a sense of better balance in my head as well. I suppose, it is all part of the 'slowing down' mechanism that allows us to breathe and take stock.

    ReplyDelete