Friday, October 21, 2011

The greatest thing...

I saw my psychologist for the last time this week . We hadn't had a session since August but she wanted to know that I was all right before we went our separate ways. And, you know how I like to please people... So, we did that and she asked how I felt and I answered her questions.

Then, she told me how well I had done; how hard I had worked and how well it had all gone and feeling the need to reciprocate (that's what well mannered people do after all) I thanked her for her assistance and she said it was entirely her pleasure...she photocopied something she wanted to give me...I wrote her the cheque, she gave me the receipt and we were drawing things to a close. She wanted me to know that it was never entirely over between us...that if I ever wanted an emergency session to ring her mobile...that if I wanted to talk over something next year that she would be here. Very sweet; very reassuring. Very caring and kind.

I felt moved to ask her something about her life. I asked if she was still very busy and she said it was hectic; that before Medicare changed the rules people had come to her for the classic problems - anxiety and depression. But, now that Medicare paid the bulk of 12 (now 10 sessions) people presented with other issues.

"What sort of issues are they," I asked
"Existential issues."
"Like, what is the meaning of life?"
"Yes."
"Oh dear."
"I hate it. I don't have the answers."
"No. Do you think people are placing too much emphasis on performance? Forgetting that at the end of the day all that matters is the connections we make?"
"Yes. Connections is all that really matters. Nobody dies worried about much else than if they loved and were loved adequately."

How about that! All that time I was seeing Michelle I was not sure we were enough alike and it turns out we were entirely the same.

6 comments:

  1. its a funny thing how alike people can be without actually knowing it.
    LOve and hugs kiwi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. kiwigirl: I have been thinking about you! We must return to exchanging emails.

    Mental health professionals can be such good value to talk to because they have seen so many people over the years and they come to make very astute generalisations about human nature and what people need. She wasn't always entirely right, in my opinion, but there is no doubting she understands the human psyche. If I had had the scientific mind required to be a psychologist it was probably a great vocation for me. Ah well...in another life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very interesting to hear from a counselor. thanks for mentioning it. And I'm glad you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick: The changes over 11 sessions were incredibly profound but interestingly, she said she didn't really use CBT on me at all...that she pointed me in the right direction and I went off and did all the work myself. And, she's not the type to give false praise so there can be very valid reasons for these blogs, I believe, if one is prepared to evaluate oneself honestly. I think you should be immensely proud of yourself. Think of where you are now and where you were when you began your blog. Can you even recognize yourselves? It has been such a pleasure to follow your blog.

    Michelle works with white, middle class, well educated and successful types in the main due to where she is geographically placed, I suspect if for no other reason. She has come to see that the chase for money isn't all it is cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our changes are quite dramatic. And yet we are ourselves--more so than before, if that makes sense.

    Thanks for giving me an idea for a new entry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mick: It makes complete sense. Always happy to inspire.

    ReplyDelete