Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A way of life

I find sitting in traffic tedious, but when I can listen to a good program on the radio, time in the car transforms to be a joy. I was lucky enough this morning to catch an interview with Alex Miller, author of 'Love Song'. I plan to procure a copy and when I read it I just hope that I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed listening to Alex Miller talk about his inspiration for the novel and his various characters. A few comments really resonated with me.

His main characters meet in an out of the way cafe in Paris and he talked of the warm places where people may gather. I adore watching people in cafes and all the potential stories therein. It's the cost of a cup of coffee but the possibilities are priceless.

He talked of food as being the "great seducer" and he's right. I do love an author who can bring food alive, so I'm anticipating a real treat here.

His characters meet and their eyes connect. They are instantly attracted. But, there is a process before that "look" can transform into a "commitment" of the attraction, and he says, this time can be "fraught". I suppose it is the 'unknown' quantity and the waiting he refers to; the anticipation; the hope. I can't wait to cast my eyes over those scenes.

He spoke of "real love" - hanging in when things go bad. Strength. How right he is. We're on the same page philosophically, too.

And, he discussed the difference between story telling and story writing and said that, in large measure, that was what his book was about. His Dad could start with a fact - the purchase of a pair of candlesticks - and, having no idea where he was going, weave a story. There is magic in the potential of the unknown and it is shared, he said.

But, a writer crafts a story in a solitary fashion even though his story is for others; to lift spirits, to engender warmth and excitement and engender a commitment between people. Stories move amongst us, he said, for it is a "human compulsion to tell stories". Would any one of us with a blog disagree?

"Is it a compulsion (to write)?" he was asked.

"No, " he replied. "Compulsive behaviour is not healthy. It is a way of life."

And, that is the sentence that compelled me to write about this interview. Yes, I feel compelled to write and at the moment, most often in this space. And, it could be called a compulsion, by some. It's true I have less interest in meeting up with the girls in my spare time, to gossip and drink coffee. I'd much rather sit at home and write.

But, I don't think it is unhealthy at all. I'm doing, finally, what I want to do, causing nobody any harm, and connecting with others of a like mind. It is my "way of life". And, possibly the D/s dynamic is your "way of life", too. Something that feels this darn good cannot possibly be bad for you; surely.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I completely agree vesta! It is a reason I blog, to share stories of my life, and the fact it gives my Master great insight to my thinking process doesn't hurt.

    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you make the novel sound v interesting. In fact I have just searched for it frantically: is it out yet? When does it come out? Have you read Conditions of Faith?

    I agree with him about the compulsion to tell stories. OTOH I think there is an important difference between the story and the novel. For me, a blog is more like a novel (i.e., immersion in the author's sensibility).

    b7ossom

    ReplyDelete
  3. mouse: Yes. Whilst my husband doesn't refer to my blog too often, he does check in here, from time to time and I think he gains valuable insight into my thought processes. But, honestly, we talk and talk all the time so I don't expect there are too many surprises for him.

    b7ossom: It looks to me as if it has been released in its country of publication first: Australia. So, maybe it isn't available in other countries as yet, unless you order it online. I see that it is possible to do that, but I imagine it will be released in other countries in no time. It has been much awaited.

    No, I haven't read 'Conditions of Faith' but it is sounding like there will be a few book titles on my Christmas list.

    I guess I think of any form - short story, blog, novel - as a kind of story, though I agree with you that when the author allows us entry into his sensibilites, I enjoy that sort of story/novel/blog most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a wise woman that knows ... and is at peace with - what makes her happy. I think one of the more positive aspects of maturing is learning to STOP living by what other people think and being comfortable with living as YOU like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you've certainly intrigued me with this book, too. I'll keep an eye peeled.

    I've always considered myself a better teller of stories than writer of them. Yet, writing is the outlet that keeps me whole. Odd...

    The important thing is that it makes us content, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. selkie: I do agree. I am indeed doing what makes me happy and I have the support of my husband. But, he insists I maintain balance in my life, and woe betide the day when I start to look abherrant to him. I'm doing what I want, within the parameters laid down. This is, in fact, in line with what I want - to express my submissive nature but also to let my spirit fly free.

    Jz: Well, darlin, you've opened up a whole new train of thought for me. What about a D/s book club where we can discuss the book of the month?

    One of my favourite characters is Karen Blixen from 'Out of Africa' as she weaved her story for the two men as they sat in front of the fire, entranced by her. Oh, how I'd love to be half the story teller! For me, trying to write down good stories will have to suffice.

    ReplyDelete