Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Game over

When she was a little girl
she played games with the other little girls
but she cared not if she won or lost.
It was just a game.

When she grew up
she played games with the other grown up girls
but she cared not if she won or lost.
It was just a game.

One day she discovered a game
unlike any other she had played before.
She cared not if she won or lost,
It was for the love of the game.

She suspected that he enjoyed the game too.
But sometimes, he stopped the game short.
"If you play with bulls, you'll likely get hurt,"
he cautioned her.

The fear brought bubbles to her throat
and she reached into her pocket and felt for the contents.
She stashed the red hankerchief deep down,
just in time.

Walking backwards she tiptoed away,
aware that she could go no closer, this time.
Her appetite for this game ensured
that she would be tempted to play again.

But the entrance had been securely locked
and for now there was no way to return.
Aware of her love for the game
He would keep her tightly contained.

His rules were strict.
She had no way to move.
She sat down, took out her red handkerchief,
and blew her nose.

Game over.

4 comments:

  1. "Games lubricate the body and the mind."

    Benjamin Franklin

    love, cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. cassie: And, he was a wise man...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. shape shifter: I'm so pleased you do. I have a very playful soul and I love to see how far I can go. I wanted to see if I could create that adrenaline rush I can feel when I so want to go on, but the wise woman in me tells me not to be a fool.

    ReplyDelete