Monday, August 30, 2010

Feelings

Controversially, my husband has noted on several occasions that the biggest difficulty with dealing with young women out there in the workforce at this time is their feelings. He might call the bank to have an issue corrected only to find that the conversation has launched from the facts of the matter to the girl at the bank's feelings. My husband has not agreed with her findings, has told her so and somehow they are in the land of her feelings. He's too long in the tooth for this sort of thing now. He just wants the job done and move on. Trust me when I say that he can be an absolutely charming man whom women think adorable but if you use the feelings card with him when he wants something done, he won't have any time for it any more.

He is not alone. His associates complain of this matter and when I asked women at a lunch recently how they felt about this, they all agreed. The young woman today was very inclined to take umbrage at simple expression of insistence that the task be done to the customer's satisfaction. My husband has taken to hanging up the phone only to dial the same company until a man answers. He explains the issue and moments later he hears "Not a problem, Sir. Done." Ah! No mention of feelings!

My feelings has been an issue of contention with us over the years. When my husband is in a go-get-it mood, and he often is, he just wants things done and at times he can be short with me. On my good days, and most of them are good, I snuff it off. I can even enjoy it, in an odd sort of masochistic let's -get-the-girl-going sort of way. (I am not on these pages for nothing!) Occasionally, I get upset and I tell him that my feelings are hurt. Or, I might just snap back which always has him look at me as if to say, 'where did that come from?' I wonder!

In any event, a great deal of effort on my part has gone into getting control of my feelings. It is an exceptionally odd moment that this is ever an issue for me out there in the big wide world. My feelings being out of kilter and destructive to me and loved ones occur in the private domain. I might be upset with my husband's tone or my children's inconsideration. My challenge is to stay calm, and not allow the flood of adrenaline to overtake my brain allowing me to react in an out of control way. My task is to stay in control. It's the task I have given myself.

Whilst I have a pass rate on this task, I don't have a High Distinction and that really bothers me. Instead of waiting for the right moment to say something like, "I'd like to talk to you about..... I am a little confused as to why you said..." I tend to feel extreme agitation inside my body and I tend to make hasty decisions, finding it a virtual necessity to react instantaneously. I read lately that this is why people might eat foods they know they should not when they are upset. They are looking to change how they feel. I too am looking to change how I feel but instead of reaching for a chocolate teddy bear, I launch a Scud missile instead and get a momentary improvement in how I feel.

Of course, it only takes minutes for me to question my action but the deed has been done and of course, I have my "righteous indignation" to keep me warm for quite a while. There are moments of sanity. I sent off an email on Saturday (yeah, it's on my mind) and on Sunday I was wandering about the garden when I thought, 'Did I really write I was "humiliated"? Oh boy, that was over the top!!'

It gets worse. It turns out that it was a total misunderstanding on my part and by Sunday evening, I felt very, very silly. And, shameful. The whole day of upset could easily have been avoided for both parties if I had just taken control of my feelings and thought it through and acted sensibly with the end in mine.

I have read enough blogs of submissive women and know enough submissives to feel that my challenges are not uniquely mine. And, it says something of the value, integrity and warmth of the relationship that even amongst all this hullabaloo over the weekend that we managed to find a little humour in the next exchange and I like to think, brought us a little closer. Yes, some things should never have been said, but then some things were said that cleared the air, too.

I do know from long experience that feelings are not just the domain of the female or the submissive. I can most certainly hurt my husband's feelings and an argument with me can leave him terribly upset. Rupert Murdoch once said that the only person who could make him feel like a fool was Anna (his first wife). It is those we care about who have the ability to upset us the most. Our feelings are most hurt when the person (or people) who provide the most stability for us take the ground from under our feet (or at least, we momentarily think they do).

In essence this returns to what Mary said to me - that a passionate relationship is going to have push and pull. It is not a well received idea in BDSM circles but nonetheless it is true. People who care about one another are meant to challenge one another in some ways, to get the best out of one another and that includes the dominant and the submissive.

This whole emotional mine field of our feelings takes place amidst the formality of the power exchange relationship where one leads and one follows; one feeds and one serves, making feelings a very complicated issue to handle. I think there are just moments when in amongst those roles, the issues related to hurt feelings must be addressed and resolved. The skilled dominant will know how to get the submissive back in line and the true submissive will fall back into line without any further ado. Meanwhile, I stay calm. Of course!

6 comments:

  1. Very well done post. Especially liked the last graf about the skilled dominant and the true submissive. Well put.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with FD. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vesta,

    over at another blog, a commenter wrote that the Dom and the sub are complementary.

    i think this statement describes this post as well.

    Love, cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say I'm so glad to have a husband who is receptive and accepting of women's emotions. I mean, he doesn't tolerate "going over the top" or women who tend to make everything about them... but he accepts that women are emotional beings and that feelings are very important to us... a part of who we are (which from my perspective only means that we're not afraid to be in touch with our feelings). Now that's not to say he doesn't tease me and give me a hard time about it cause he does, but when it comes down to it, he's really supportive of my feelings and is a good listener.

    I've always mostly bottled up my feelings in the workplace, but there have been a few times when I've lost it due to the expression of "feelings" from men. The most memorable being the time I scolded a man waiting in line at a retail store I worked at and told him if he didn't stop behaving like a 5 year old child I was going to treat him like one and send him to the end of the line (and it was the Christmas season... the line was long). He shut up (while the rest of the customers in hearing distance clapped) and then apologized to me when he got to the counter. Heh...

    So yeah... you're right about the fact that it's not just the women who lose control of their emotions. In fact, I have a theory... I think men are just as emotional as women. It's just that society has taught them that it's not right for a man to express their feelings so for the most part they suppress them... and generally speaking when they do express them it's when they're alone so no one else sees it. Men's logical minds have taken over out of a necessity... to avoid being seen as a "sissy", but I don't believe for a second that men have more ability in the logic department than women do in a general sense.

    Sorry if I went off on a tangent. It's a great post. I think this is just one of those topics that tends to cock my brow... the whole "women are soooooo emotional" thing. Have you ever watched men watching sports? I rest my case... Heh...

    *hugs*

    turiya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florida Dom and Babyman: Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    Cassie: Yes. I was so immersed in the feelings aspect that I guess I wasn't focussed on the complementary aspect, but I do agree.

    turiya: It's rather silly, isn't it, to say that one gender is more emotional or more rational than the other. I think women have particular challenges - we menstruate, we give birth and breast feed and go through menopause and these are all emotionally challenging states for us; at least, they were for me. And, at times I felt that my husband was more logical than me. Then again, he's had hugely emotional challenges and I think he relied in those moments on my more logical/rational state. It is such a silly argument as to who is more emotional than the other.

    I had to laugh at the idea of men watching sport and their reaction to it. My husband seems convinced that the players can actually hear him through the screen. Why else would he give them so many instructions??!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well oh yeah... those hormones can really mess with our ability to think and behave rationally. But then testosterone does the same to men. I mean how many fights have been fought in the interest of proving who is manlier or more deserving of a particular woman? When hormones take over... for either gender... there seems to be no room for reason.

    And yeah, I actually got into an argument with a guy once over the emotions of women when we watch dramas and stuff how we'll start crying. This particular guy cried (although he tried to cover it up with story about something being in his eyes) when his team lost the Superbowl. He gave up on his argument suddenly and wanted to change the subject when I brought that up for some reason. Hmmmm... lol

    ReplyDelete