Friday, August 3, 2012

Cumpelled

The very good and kind folk at my university had no issue whatsoever with my idea to research and write a chapter of a novel regarding a couple in a power exchange relationship. I've loved doing that but at the same time it meant so much to me to get the characters and the essence of their relationship right that I have really labored over the tone. I really, really wanted to have my vanilla reader (and I am pretty confident she is that) be convinced that this was a loving relationship between two people with particular needs. Most importantly I wanted her to read them as two whole people who functioned best together. That is to say, they weren't two halves to make a whole. Granted, they had issues but we all have  issues. They were two people who functioned. They just functioned more beautifully, dynamically and passionately once they found one another. I'd submit it right now but I can't quite let my baby go...later today is soon enough.

I wrote in my explanation of my research that "I felt cumpelled..." and the computer immediately picked up my error. Oh yes! It is c o m p e l l e d, isn't it?! But, you see, I was deep within myself as I was writing, feeling closely connected to the deepest and darkest part of my soul; the most beautiful I think as well, and when I am there, correct spelling is the least of my concerns. Lucky, I guess, that I have a computer that insists that I spell like a gurl.


No comments:

Post a Comment