Monday, April 23, 2012

Opportunity

For the past few months a condition has crept up on me and reluctantly I took myself off to the doctor who ordered an ultrasound that showed no indication of what might be causing my pain. Since then, I narrowed it down to some sort of pain associated with the digestive tract.

When the pain was at its worst I happily eliminated alcohol, caffeine and sweet foods and drank a lot of water and it seemed to me that the high point of the crisis had now taken place. One evening was so excruciating I thought that I must be passing a kidney stone but the doctor was skeptical that my diagnosis was correct and that's when he ordered the ultrasound.

 As well, I think we can trick our minds to accept pain as a matter of course and bit by bit I was adding suspect foods back into my diet: a glass of wine here and a cup of tea there. The pain wasn't that bad.

 If I had some candy or a few little Cadbury eggs from Easter I felt immediately ill and eventually I just had to accept the fact that like thousands of other schmucks, I had IBS (my diagnosis again, so the jury's out but apart from the fact that my appendix might be about to burst, this seems the logical conclusion).

What a containing experience this is! If the condition is to be managed successfully thought needs to go into nearly everything eaten. Caffeine and wine are out as are candy and chocolate and sweet foods. Red meat needs to be limited and pretty much all fats need to be severely reduced so that the cramping doesn't set in. Portions need to be small and foods need to be checked for fructose. It really is a crushing bore.

On the other hand, this situation is an opportunity: an opportunity to slow down; to keep my anxiety levels right down; to make an art form out of patience and to be more accepting that what is, is. It's an opportunity to be mindful of what I put in my mouth and to ensure that nothing gets into my body that isn't good for my body. It is an opportunity to just accept. This isn't necessarily a limitation on my life but an opportunity to live a better life.

I am a healthy person. Apparently, I'm a bit of an aberration not being on any medication whatsoever at my age and I'd like to keep it that way. It was just a matter of time before something happened whereby I would have to accept that I am not as young as I used to be and that modifications would have to be made. I have to say that it sucks that I can't have a glass of wine; one of life's finest pleasures but it is a small price to pay for health.

We spend a lot of time swimming against the tide in life, trying to control every last thing but we just don't know what tomorrow will bring; good or bad. If we can truly embrace that 'everything is okay', even if there are little things out of place, I truly think we can better make space for opportunity. It's all about having a positive state of mind and remaining joyful.

3 comments:

  1. Well mouse hopes the dietary changes work. IBS is horrible (mouse has at least one friend that has it).

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crave containment, and mother nature has obliged! Are you not thankful? :)

    Sorry to hear you are having problems. IBS runs in my family. My older sister has it bad, and I have it to a mild degree. But neither of us finds it very painful. Our guts just reject rather forcibly those foods that aren't kind to us (sorry for any images that might conjure up). Perhaps you shouldn't give up too quickly on getting your problem formally diagnosed.

    Fine wine may be one of life's pleasures, but for me it doesn't compare to laughing with loved ones, hugging my children, enjoying an early morning walk in the forest, watching my soccer team score a goal, or marvelling at the beauty of a spider's web. Life is full of riches that can be just as heady as wine, if we open up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mouse: It has been a steep learning curve as I educate myself and experiment. Eliminating certain foods and eating soluble fibre, especially first thing in the day seems to be the key. I think it will be a case of managing it in these two ways. I'll adapt.

    rollymo: Ha! I really do like to experiment with the notion of less in all sorts of ways at the same time as I like the idea of experiencing more of life. I'll live without wine if I really must. I can do that, but I will miss the opportunity to enjoy a glass of wine, for sure.

    The changes have reduced the pain already (under my right rib) so I think I'm on the right track. I'm not at all sure that the doctors can add much value in this case.

    ReplyDelete