Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Revelations

We spent some quality time with our daughter and her new (and much adored) boyfriend recently and I am delighted to write that my husband found the young man as agreeable as I had found him some months ago when I visited her in April. He is bright, well-spoken, considerate and most importantly, he adores our daughter. More than that, my husband found him grounded, practical; more than capable of running a business or forging a career.

My daughter and I shared some time alone after that whilst we purchased a winter jacket for her and walked home through Hyde Park on an unexpectedly balmy night last night and she shared her boyfriend's impression of us. Ahhhhhh! Of course! It was not just us analyzing him but he analyzing us!

I thought to share two of those impressions here on the journal:

1) My husband and I are rather competitive.

Now, this came as a shock at first. I can't stand it when couple compete with one another and I said that this surely was not right. But, as she laid out her case, it was clear that we do compete on a certain level. If I finish my meal before him (because he has been doing all the talking and I have been the one listening and eating) he will say, "You got through that fast". I hate hearing that. Any girl would hate hearing that and so I make a deliberate effort to eat slowly almost all the time until the next time he catches me out and repeats the phrase again.

We were walking along High Street in Kensington when he said to me, "I really loved the Portrait Gallery. I don't think you realize just how much I love history." I replied, "Darling, I have been with you for 35 years. You think I don't know that? I studied History as a Major and you know much more than I do." He looked at me, startled that I should say such a thing and then said, "Can I have that in writing?"

That is two of hundreds of examples. Shockingly, it seems we do compete.

2) I respond to my husband like a little girl:

It seems that I make quite a few naughty comments; comments I know I shouldn't and to protect myself or if I am scolded for them, I react by looking like a naughty, little girl.

That can't be right!? Or is the young man right about that as well?

What a hoot it must have been to be a fly on the wall - he analyzing us and we analyzing him. I am not at sure he is actually too observant.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny...I would love the chance to have someone analyze Wil and I. Isn't it amazing what others see.

    I am happy for your daughter,sounds like she has found a great young man. I wish them much happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet: It was cute. As my husband said, he was as keen to understand his girlfriend's parents as we were to get a sense of him.

    Thank you for your good wishes. I see such huge growth in her. He is not noticeably domish at all but she has told me enough for me to feel that he is molding her to his liking and what that means in a nutshell is that her self-control has grown in spades. Funny what falling in love can do to a girl...

    ReplyDelete