Thursday, September 22, 2011

Charm

I am going to be travelling for a while but since I anticipate Internet access most places I go, I hope to continue to write in this journal over that time. As any traveller knows, the time leading up to travel is hectic and this was particularly the case this time as I waved my youngest son off on a longish school trip at the airport last night. I have not only been thinking about what I had to do before we all left home but also what has to be organized for when I return. You know the drill, I am sure.

Recently, I met Anna. We worked on a raffle together and I found her to be one of the most charming women I have ever met. A seriously bright woman, her parents were escapees from Poland. Everything about her was adorable - her conversation was incredibly interesting, her adoration and love of her two boys palpable, her commitment to do the raffle just right admirable and her simple but elegant style very appealing.

She is going through a tough spot right now experiencing menopausal sweats that had made it necessary for her husband to bring into the bedroom a separate bed that has been placed beside the "marital bed". I found her embarrassment and yet her honestly about the matter endearing. In every conceivable way, she was completely appealing and anyone at all would be hard pressed not to find her an attractive human being.

After our event I suggested we meet again at the lunch in late October and she thought that was a marvellous idea, but like so many marvellous ideas expressed in the moment, I doubt she thought I would do anything about that. So, a few days ago I rushed off an email to her and said how much I would love to sit next to her and that I was going away but I could I leave it in her hands? She just wrote back to say, in the most charming of ways that it was delightful to hear from me and that she was organizing a table and we would indeed sit together; that I should have the most marvelous vacation; to leave it to her.

Anna had me thinking...Can you equate charm with submissive qualities? I suspect I am drawing a long bow here. Yet, if a submissive woman is a desirable and enticing commodity (and dominant types do seem to think so) then can charm be taught/encouraged/insisted upon? Or, is Anna's type of charm, the essence of a beautiful and graceful woman, simply granted at birth? All I know for sure is that when I am in the presence of a charming person, man or woman, they light up the room. As I go about my travels, I shall keep my eyes open for more of them.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely Vesta,
    It has been my experience that charm is innate and I genuinely believe we all have the ability to express such behaviours. The gift though is whether we use such beauty or not. I also believe charm comes in numerous forms and like you I value and appreciate every moment I have when I am permitted such an experience.

    Grace is a character trait I value and am still trying to learn although I would say you my friend definitely have mastered such a quality.

    Enjoy your travels. I look forward to reading about your experiences and thank you for your little messages, I am sorry I have not been around. Life has thrown me a few curve balls but I will always bounce back.

    Much, much warmth
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the fact that her family was from a different part of the world, there possibly making her mannerisms a bit different that normal could have made her seem more charming. I ask because I find that the case. People from different parts of the world fascinate me and captivate me, even just their simple day to day lives. I once had a friend from Scotland and I could have listened to her read a grocery list and found it just mesmerizing because of her lovely accent.

    I hope you enjoy your trip very much!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some people are just charming by nature. I think it can be taught but to the right person. I know a number of people who are justn ot charming at all and could never ever be that way. It will be interesting to read your posts while you travel - so many different people to watch and learn from...its exciting. Good luck.
    Have a safe trip and looking forward to reading your posts.
    Love and hugs kiwi

    ReplyDelete