Sunday, September 18, 2011

Self soothing

In my younger days, when my husband said something to me that offended me, I would, surprisingly enough, feel offended. I would feel out of sorts because even if I told him that he had offended me or that the comment wasn’t called for, he would not necessarily acknowledge that he had done something wrong and/or apologize. He, to put it in a nutshell, would stand on his dignity. 

It could leave me feeling out of sorts and not feeling particularly close to him for minutes, hours or sometimes, days. Such a situation presented itself on our first date, so technically speaking, it should have come as no surprise and I should have been ready for his flamboyant approach to life, but are you ever really ready?

The pattern often was that eventually I would go to him and sort it out. I would take that responsibility on myself because I do so deplore that feeling of discord with someone. Sometimes, he would come to me and rough me up a bit psychologically – sort of, cajole and tease me out of my funk. He got his girl back without actually acknowledging his mistake and that worked well for him. Of course, occasionally he would admit that he may have been indiscreet or spoke without taking into account my feelings. He knows he has a temper and when younger, he would say “sorry” to me quite frequently.

Time wore on and I searched for a better way. I read about the process of ‘self soothing’ and this, for me, was the answer I had been looking for. I didn’t need to allow his sense of drama, or speaking without really thinking or telling me off without knowing all the details of the situation, derail me. I could go away and “cleanse myself”. I could use deep breathing and silence to settle me down. 

Perhaps later, when the situation had passed on I might note that it was upsetting when he got cross without giving me an opportunity to explain, or whatever, but the point was that I wasn’t bogged down with feelings of anger or upset at what seemed an unfair situation. I had yet to recognize that it was my comments that were often at fault in the first place and I had to learn how to say certain things such as what I wanted from him.

I frequently use a method of not saying much when he needs to verbalize his emotions out in the air; my air space particularly. I use an enormous amount of tact these days and this pays the most wonderful benefits for both of us because when his emotions are whirling, to confront him or accuse him at that moment has negative consequences. He won’t respond to the rightness or the wrongness of the matter there or then but merely digs in his heels and asserts his position. Far better to self soothe, to hold my tongue and bide my time until it is the right time to tell him how that little episode affected me or what my intentions really were.

Even then, it is rare I will go into too much depth about it. I am most likely to brush over the event, perhaps noting that he may have been unreasonable. We both know he can be unreasonable at times and even after the fact I have to watch how and what I say. He can still be feisty about it hours and hours later and what is the point in reheating the stew really?

This is all to suggest that my husband doesn’t take my feelings into account which is certainly not at all true. He is a very sweet, kind and considerate husband and expresses his love for me in a countless number of ways.

But, from the very first day, he made it patently clear that any girl who called herself his girlfriend would understand who held the power in the relationship. Tackle him if you wished, but be prepared for a long, protracted discussion about the fitness of your argument and complaint. 

The mentoring gave me ample opportunity to hone my skills in self soothing (boy, are they alike!) and except for those absolutely stupid moments when I choose to tackle I find I have self-soothing down to a fine art. When you give yourself  the responsibility of calming yourself and settling yourself; enabling yourself to think rationally and clearly in any situation, solutions present themselves much more easily and much angst is avoided.

I don’t see this as giving in, or not having a voice but rather using my voice to maximum effect in the most appropriate ways and moments. It certainly has aided harmony.

5 comments:

  1. Such a wise woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this situation can very easily lead you to bottling up all your emotions. That in itself is very harmful and no matter how hard it is i think we need to be able to let that other person know how we are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindset: I *might* be wise or I might just be shrewd, but thank you for the compliment in any case.

    kiwigirl: I agree that it is important not to bottle up all your emotions. I think the CBT people and the D/s people are in unison on that fact. However, there are ways and means to express those feelings. As an example, if I blurt out how I feel in the heat of the moment I may just find myself feeling much worse about things because he isn't in the frame of mind to hear what I have to say. If he get this sense that I am forgetting my place he isn't so inclined to listen sympathetically to my feelings.

    In my CBT therapy I was taught a way of expressing feelings that goes along these lines:

    "Darling, you know I also want to hear about what is happening with your business affairs (something positive), but we have been talking about them throughout the lunch (express the situation at hand) and I am getting a bit overwhelmed at the moment (say how it is affecting you). I would appreciate it if we could please talk about our plans for the weekend for a few minutes (say what you want)."

    This *does* work.

    In my experience, when a man with a rather dominant personality is overtired, overstressed, angry, agitated etc. it isn't the right time to express negative emotions. It isn't that they are insensitive but that they are human (and a bit full of themselves). When things aren't going in the direction I would like I just stop, go and settle myself down (self soothe) and put it behind my ear to go about it again in a better way at a better time (or else the issue has passed and I just move on with my life).

    Now, having said all that, sometimes I express my emotions LOUD AND CLEAR but since I don't do that hardly at all now, when I do he knows he has definitely overstepped the mark!!

    I hope this is helpful. Expresing emotions is the right thing to do, for sure, but you have to have a sense of what you want to accomplish. This will determine how you go about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to learn this, desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice: Please don't think it was easy for me. It takes lots of practise to have self control when you are being sorely tested. My secret weapon is my meditation breathing - in for four slow counts and out for four slow counts. I can't overstate the importance of slowing down your breathing when you feel overwhelmed, in just about any situation.

    ReplyDelete