Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Litttle Bridge

In my younger days (no, I'm not going to define "younger days"!!), I had a tendency towards the dramatic and if someone close to me (read: husband, boyfriend, boss, mentor) upset me enough they might find themselves listening to my "it's been great but it's over" little speeches. I'd be so mad that I felt I couldn't breathe properly until that person was expunged from my life.

Initially, I'd get a surge of adrenaline that had me high on my assertive action. But, within 24 hours I would usually feel remorse and regret. I had burned my little bridge and over something that was probably not a deal breaker in the scheme of things. If I'd kept my head, we could probably have worked something out.

When a bridge is burned, the possibility of return or retreat is impossible, according to the dictionary definition. But, I never let that idea get in the way of recovering a situation and I was never too proud to return to the scene of the crime to say that I think I had made a mistake. I would get angry for sure, but I also knew how to apologize too and to beg for forgiveness. So far, it has always been given, if not before a good telling off about my passionate and perhaps, over the top response.

When you burn something (remember guys, I'm no good at science) it combusts and when it combusts it changes. In other words, the burnt object undergoes a transformation. Now, some would say that all that is left of a burning bridge is a pile of rubble, but I would like to suggest that is not always the case. Sometimes, there is a small little bit of the bridge left to salvage and with hard work and ingenuity the bridge can be salvaged; even transformed into something more special than the original and intact bridge.

Don't believe me? Here's an example of what I mean. My husband and I are close friends with a couple who married and divorced many years ago. The marriage was fraught with issues related to his children from a previous marriage and in the end it was too much for both of them. They went their separate ways and lived on two separate continents. But, the original seed of affection and attraction refused to burn out. He would visit her when he went to the US for conferences and over time he wooed her back into his arms. When he proposed a second time, she said yes.

In front of friends and family in their beautiful garden, a year ago now, they said their vows for the second time. And, a year later, their union is better than it ever was before. It has transformed into one where they work together on their mutual goals; listen to one another and enjoy one another. They have grown as individuals and as a couple and the respect that was missing before is now evident. Not only that, there is no turning back. They walked away from a wreckage and survived. They have been through too much to let their second chance go to waste.

I have transformed now too in so many ways. I'm still passionate but not angry. I still can be hurt but no longer feel a desire to retaliate; to burn my bridge. I seek to understand the other. I choose to settle myself and forgive, reminding myself that this rather odd behaviour is merely an aberration.

Perhaps the hardest component for 'cindi' is that while she may ask a question, she may not receive an answer. Her concern or her upset often remains bottled inside her for the dolli doesn't worry or think very much. This is not an easy limit. The girl Vesta looks to heal and help but without adequate knowledge often the doll is just confused. She must wait, calmly and dispassionately for the dust to settle; for the embers to cool. Rather than allow the bridge to burn she must ensure that it is never set alight; that her bridge stays intact.

Cindi is peaceful, happy, content and full of joy. She thrives. Sometimes, she is confused and a little sad. But, she knows that there will be tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. With the bridge intact and in good order she will use it to make her journey over the troubled waters to firm and peaceful land beneath her feet.

Such is the power of the little bridge.

6 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 13, 2010

    Hi Vesta!

    This is a great post. I also have been known to burn bridges when feeling upset, scared, or really upset with myself about something. This has actually gotten worse since becoming a sub. I'm not quite used to the vulnerable, open feeling it brings and a part of me wants to protect the more fragile parts of my psyche. That part over reacts big time and just stirs up trouble.

    Hopefully one day I will become more like cindi and not think so much, and not panic when I do. Thanks for sharing!

    best regards,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ann:

    I can relate to it getting worse before it gets better. So, try to be patient about this process you are in. I have found that my time as 'cindi' has settled me in very profound ways. Reaching into that place where I am so *me* has given me a level of contentment that I really didn't know existed.

    Most recently, I had a little but most important revelation. I have good relationships in my life with good people. I have come to trust them and believe in them and I've stopped being bothered so much when things don't go exactly right. I have come to recognize the ebb and flow and just *accept*.

    Cindi accepts her limts and her rightful place. She has faith. When you get to that place where you do have complete faith in the other (and by trusting, the other tends to rise to that occasion) then burning a bridge is no longer even a possibility. If I hadn't gone through this process myself I would never have believed it. So, I guess I am asking you to trust me. You *will* get there.

    My best, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 14, 2010

    it has been my personal experience that perhaps you are not as far from those days as you sometimes think :) . Burning a bridge doesn't mean you can't cross it just means it is now harder, after all someone crossed with out one to figure out crossing was worth while enough to build the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir J: Well, you may have noted that I didn't define younger days...

    Yes, maybe there was an incidence there not so long ago...

    As we get older we get wiser. Just wait until you are my age. Your wisdom won't fit into your head!!

    I keep all my bridges in good order these days. I do indeed see how important they are in my life and I've put all the explosives out of reach.

    Quite seriously, I hope that my mentor is *very* proud of himself because the changes in me are truly transformational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vesta,

    I would suggest that trusting others comes from trusting yourself. You've grown quite a lot and you've gained a lot of self-confidence as you've learned you can overcome obstacles.

    The urge to burn the bridge comes from the feeling that what the other has done is too much to handle. That's related to your self esteem. As it grows, you see that no matter what the other does you can hold it in a way that protects you and lets the relationship go on.

    In the end, I think that we can trust others because we become responsible for our lives. We see our part in what happens and know that, as a responsible person and as a strong person, we can overcome whatever difficulty arises.

    In any case, I'm quite sure that those in your life are very proud of you.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich: There is a great deal of wisdom in your words and there always was, my dear! Yes, it has been an extraordinary time of growth for me and I do think people are proud of me, which makes my heart glow.

    'cindi' is especially contained and it does require bucket loads of trust to go down that path. Yet, I feel my trust was earned and in giving that trust I have reaped great rewards.

    I know that the work we did together paved the way for that and I remain grateful for that.

    With my thanks and fondness, always.

    V.

    ReplyDelete