Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Service

Around the blogs there is always talk about 'service' and by that people seem to mean that the submissive should serve the dominant. I have no issue with the fact that the submissive serves the dominant but in my life, the statement doesn't always mean that much. I've been contributing to the success and happiness and smooth running of my husband's life since the day we started going out. When our relationship became one of a 'power exchange', my mind began to think about that in new ways, but I was already doing lots and lots of tasks that I continued to do. Certainly, sexually, I thought about that service in new ways, but I assure you he was not the only recipient of the value of those new thoughts. I was serving him to be sure, but he has never stopped serving me in the bedroom either in terms of the satisfaction he brings to my life.

My point is that I provide service to him but in fact, he serves me rather well, too. He has been serving me well all my married life in a vast number of ways, and when the relationship altered to a 'power dynamic' the amount of service he provided for my benefit only increased. As the dominant in a power exchange, he was being asked to see me and the relationship in a new light and in that way he was being asked for more, not less.

In any marriage between two people, unless they just can't get it together at all, there is some sort of division of labor. One likes to cook; another is prepared to pay the bills. One takes responsibility for watering the garden whilst the other mows the grass. One can't bear ironing the shirts but is happy to change the sheets on the bed, or empty the dishwasher, or to service the car. Or, whatever. People work together to make their lives work smoothly for them, or they should.

In a power exchange relationship, the dominant is the boss. I have no argument to make about that nor would it suit me to think of it in any other way. The dominant person has the right to give commands and the submissive has the responsibility to obey. If he wants something done, or done in a particular way he will tell her, and expect her to follow through with the task done well.

There is some symbolic gesture to consider here and I recognize that some dominants rather like that a submissive pours the wine and serves him, first. Perhaps he (the dominant in this case) asks that she kneel and serves him tea. I think that all very fine and it no doubt assists the two people in their dynamic. But, the thought that my husband might never make me a cup of tea is just awful to me. It is always a lovely moment for me to awake from the occasional sleep in, to my husband standing by my side with a tray on which there is a cup of tea with a light breakfast. Everybody deserves to be pampered sometimes.

In the evenings, it has always been our way that I clean up the kitchen whilst my husband reads the paper or watches a current affairs story or returns to his study to do some work. Frankly, I prefer it that way because I work best in the kitchen on my own. Then, I bring him a cup of his favourite tea and a little treat and that is our time together to talk about the day, or the news, or whatever. Nowadays, I do think of that bringing of the tea to him as my serving him, because it pleases me to do so, and because I can see that he feels tenderly towards me that I have done that for him; to understand that at this time of the day he needs a little pampering.

I shall come out and say it outright. I worry like hell about the dominants out there who think that their status as the dominant means that they are somehow better than their submissive; that it is all right for the submissive to be dead tired but continue to serve him whilst he sits there like King Pubah blissfully unaware of her distress, or heaven help us, enjoying that distress. It is not at all gallant to think it is all right for the submissive to be asleep on her feet but since she is the submissive she should continue to serve. That is just not gentlemanly.

Within the power exchange, each person has their responsibilities to the other and to the relationship as a whole. Our focus is not on who serves who but rather a mutual caring for one another. My husband will insist that I take my calcium with vitamin D tablet because he knows a deficiency due to lack of sunlight can cause depression. I will take him to the station rather than leave him to walk because I know he has a full and long work day ahead and I can make a contribution to his day in this way. We care for one another within the framework of the power exchange relationship.

If I were writing the book of BDSM I would not say 'The submissive serves the dominant'. I would say, 'The submissive serves the dominant and in return, he serves her right back.'

15 comments:

  1. I have started to write about service in the past, and never finished my thought properly. But, there has been a change. What before was just tedious housework or child care is less so now, it feels somehow right or ok to be what i do at that moment. And as much as I can't/couldn't believe it could be so state of mind dependent, the few spells we've had during which I was convinced we were through with this whole thing, the same chores went right back to feeling like drudgery.

    What you've written about the two-way-streetedness of the service is of course true. I imagine that what each person, no matter his or her position in the arrangement, views as service or as meeting one's needs is highly individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gg: If you are more 'in the moment' by virtue of the dynamic of the relationship then I think that you have much to celebrate. I want to talk about my personal growth more as time goes on because I am incredibly grateful to feel that I have grown personally, in leaps and bounds, over the past year. I have been served extremely well by this dynamic.

    It is quite extraordinary how the success of the dynamic of power exchange can mean that the simple making of a meal can be elevated to have much more meaning in one's life. I feel that keenly.

    Yes, 'service' no doubt has a different meaning to each couple. My thoughts relate to the thinking of some 'Masters' out there who sound a big big for their boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vesta,

    I've always maintained it's not about how much you can do as it is the reason you do it. I do it for Omega and he does it for me. It's all give and take. It never feels one sided or depleting. It's that thing we do together in our power exchange that completes our circle.

    Both sides get the service each needs. And when it works that way...it's all good!

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. The term is "power exchange." Not "power grab." There is most definitely an exchange. And both parties must be getting their needs met or the relationship won't last long in that form without sinking into abuse. Their needs may be very different, but they are both finding fulfillment.

    The sadist doesn't tear me down. In fact, he is rather in awe of me as a writer, and I find myself building him up about his own not inconsiderable talents in that area. He teaches and guides me, stimulates me and disciplines me - with the latter only occasionally referring to corporal punishment. He teaches me to function within a structure, and has enabled me to actually finish things I never would have even started before. He builds me up, makes me proud of myself, showers me with praise when it is earned, and then enjoys the benefit of his own hard work.

    When it comes to sexual service, there, too, he trains me and teaches me to take pride in my work. He feeds me with praise and caresses, with his own cries of pleasure and with water from his hand. The focus is on him, yes, but he sees my eyes shining with joy and knows damn well that this is not a one-way street.

    I don't mean this to be one of those "oh, my Master is so wonderful, so perfect, there's no one like him in the world" declarations of adoration. NO ONE is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. What I do mean to do is offer an example of someone who is quite seriously sadistic, but who has learned enough over the years to know that if you want to keep someone around for a while you have to make the person want to stay. And he does just that, through a combination of brainwashing and caregiving. It's not his thing to set bedtimes, but he realized he had to in order to keep me functioning properly. He orders me to rest when I'm sick, and declared a day completely free of creative writing because I seemed to need it.

    I give him a lot. But I suspect that in some ways he gives me more. And whatever jollies he may get from giving me drink water to drink from his hands after I've been sucking his cock for who knows how long, the sense he gives me at that moment of being treasured and cared for and appreciated makes it very clear that this is a relationship in which we are both giving and we are both satisfied.

    Thanks so much for bringing up this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OG: It sounds soooooo right. Honestly. It sounds heavenly.

    Lucky girl that I am, I know just what you mean.

    As always, your thoughts are most welcome and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mouse: Wonderfully said, and I'm so pleased you made a comment since I was rather inspired by Omega's imagery of a circle. I liked that very much.

    It is entirely possible that some dominants 'grandstand' a bit when they write for fear they sound less dominant when they explain it like Omega did, as a circle. In their actual life, perhaps they do in fact treat their relationships like that circle. But, I do wish they would not leave me with the impression in their writing that it is all about *them*. We are all human. We all need to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very important post Vesta! I'm so glad you wrote it. There is a big difference between a Dominant and a tyrant.

    ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vesta, well said as usual and as you already know I could not agree more. Sometimes the most dominant thing I do is look after h by tending to her needs and with out a doubt a nice cup of tea is a frequent need.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good post, and I liked Green Girl's comment about how the relationship transforms everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon: I appreciate that. Yes, I agree.

    cassie: You are welcome.

    Sir J.: I know you know. You're a dear man and a wonderful husband. That's very clear.

    PL: Yes, I liked gg's comment, too. It seems to give everything more meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vesta,

    This is a wonderful post. You touched on so many issues that are also important to my husband and me and our dynamic.

    It's so true the more I serve him, the more he serves me.

    *Cassady

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Cassady: Thank you so much. This is life at its best and I'm pleased to read it works for you so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What kind of tea does he like?

    --Rich

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rich: Some would say that is asking for too much information but I will reveal this one time that at this time it happens to be peppermint. lol

    ReplyDelete