Thursday, April 22, 2010

Humor

I'm learning quite quickly these days. I am clear about the fact that inappropriate responses, lack of patience and displays of frustration are not at all worth the consequences.

Yet, I am who I am and at heart I'm still very cheeky. Most of the time I can squash the urge to come back with a retort, but sometimes it just pops out.

Last evening, I was asked a most typical question. Was I wearing my pluggi? Well, no, not yet, since I'd just had my shower and had not got to that yet.

"What are you waiting for?"

And, a particular thought entered my mind, and I just could not hold it back. I didn't even consider holding it back. I just said it.

"Godot. Waiting for Godot."

There was no response.

But it was funny, wasn't it?!

"Nup. Still waiting for an answer."

Oh well.

And, then this morning...

"I'll be back in ten minutes. You'll be ready, won't you?"

"Yes, yes, I'll be ready."

And ten minutes later,

"Are you playing on the Internet again???" I hear as I scurry to look like I'm ready to leave.

And, a few minutes later, when I see him sitting at his desk to make a quick call, I say to no-one in particular,

"Oh well, I guess I'll go to the car..."

"Ohhhhh, that will cost you!!" he calls out from his study.

Sometimes, I wonder if people these days have lost their sense of humor. Lucky I still have mine though.

Right?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, my sense of humor tends to get me in trouble as well. Lucky for me the people I am around usually have a great sense of humor as well.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for Godot?? That's inspired...and so very worth the consequences! At least I hope so!

    Take care,
    Baby Girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahahaha!!

    oh, i wish i was as inventive as you are. sometimes i can come up with good ones and get 'The Look', other times i just fall back on the 'yes, Master' line.

    It's a pity i know!

    -r.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once named an aged and pokey printer "Godot"-
    Nobody got it...

    Those of us with True Wit must stick together, Ms. Vesta. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gray: That's good. That helps. Since I use humor to get away with things, those around me don't always find my humor as funny as I do. Funny about that!

    Baby Girl: Well, I'm glad you found it funny, too. I thought it was rather inspired myself. No actual consequences to report. Darn!

    rose: Honestly, quips come to mind at a frightening speed. It is such a dilemma!

    Jz: You speak my language!

    ReplyDelete