Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tighter grip







There are few kinky stores in my neck of the woods but there is one tasteful store not far from the restaurant my husband and I go to sometimes for a casual lunch. Today, I asked if we might walk down there. They did not have what I had in mind but we did notice some good looking, well constructed corsets. I’ve long desired a corset to wear under my clothing on a regular basis.

What I have discovered about myself is that I crave containment. I resist change somewhat, although to my own detriment. Although I resisted getting half inch long acrylic nails recently, I love my new long nails. They are, in fact, so long that they get in my way. Typing without mistakes has become so difficult that sometimes I wonder what all the fuss of perfection in publishing is all about. Anyways, I am more than familiar with the backspace key these days. When I need to take off a necklace, I ask for help. I could be there all night trying to unfasten a little clip, and in fact it is a lovely moment having one’s man assist with this. It astounds me that there was a time when my nails were short and practical.

But, it is not enough. I need more. I’ve established in my own mind without a shadow of a doubt that wearing pluggi is a very good idea for me. Yet, I’ve resisted wearing it regularly. This is another bad idea. I don’t want to ebb and flow with my sense of well being. I need the containment of pluggi. I have finally committed to a regimen about this which will provide me with the sense of containment I crave.

At the store today, we got into a conversation with the two sales assistants there and one of them said to us that she wore her corset regularly. She was a strong advocate for this, saying that nothing made her feel better. She said that she stood up straight, felt proud and more attractive that way. She also said that it was rubbish that they were not comfortable. She felt completely comfortable in hers, day after day. I confess I would have tried on her selection on the spot and probably bought it but for the fact that on another level that would have been another bad idea. But, I look forward to this further strong grip in my life.

To some girls, to be contained is to be limited. I do understand where they are coming from. However, I am old enough now to know my own mind. For me, to be contained is to be liberated. My spirit needs to soar and it can only do that when it is nourished in a way that makes sense to me. As contradictory as it may sound, the containment elevates me to a higher realm and a deep sense of peace.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I ADORE my corset. I've never worn it for normal day-to-day stuff, but I might start!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle: Lovely to hear from you. I wonder if you adore it because of the way it makes you feel, or how it makes you look, or both...

    I am getting more and more excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vesta

    Thank you for this post. I think I understand better. The corset is a good example.

    Containment gives support, focus, direction. It's a concrete expression of the environment.

    Interesting how often submission and peace are collocated: Islam means submission, and is cognate with words like salaam and shalom that mean peace; Yoga is cognate with yoke.

    PL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear PL: Exactly. As well, it is a reminder of my place in the relationship; my status. A year ago I could never have said what I just said, but now I'm so at peace with that. The sense of peace for me comes from the letting go - whether that be yoga and pilates, or some other form of containment such as wearing a butt plug regularly, or whether it come from learning to hold my temper. It is a total experience for me and one for which I am immensely grateful.

    ReplyDelete