Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

I thought of reviewing the past year - the ups, the downs, the highs and lows. I thought of saying something affirming about 2012 being the best one yet and all those sorts of things that people tend to like to say on December 31st. But then, something happened.

I'd said goodbye to three people, my husband and son had gone off to do some errands in town and I was quite suddenly alone. I stripped the beds, washed the sheets and pegged all the sheets on the clothesline outside (it's an antiquated notion, I know, but it does so please me to dry sheets in a gentle breeze) and it suddenly occurred to me that I could play any music I wanted.Yayayayay!

I started with Andrea Bucelli and a few songs into that CD I found myself with a desire to lay down. It was a gorgeous sunny but not hot afternoon and I cuddled into the couch and very quickly, I think, fell asleep. The old 'music machine' was on 6 CDs that repeat over and over and when I woke it was to Michael Buble singing his heart out. In that dazy state when you are neither awake nor asleep, I heard Michael singing 'That's Life' and I found myself intently listening to the words of an old favourite song of mine.:

That's life
That's what all the people say
You're riding high in April
You're shot down in May
I know I'm gonna change that tune
When I'm back on top in June

I say that's life
& as funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks
Stompin' on your dreams
But I don't let it, let it get me down
'Cause this fine ol' world keeps spinning 'round

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,
A poet, a pawn & a king
I've been up & down & over & out
But I know one thing
Each time I find myself, flat on this face
I pick myself up & get back in the race

That's life
I can't deny it
I thought of quitting, baby
This heart wasn't gonna buy it
And if I didn't think it was worth one single try
I'd jump right on a big bird & then I'd fly

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,
A poet, a pawn & a king
I've been up & down & over & out
And I know one thing
Each time I find myself flat on my face
I pick myself up & get back in the race

That's life
That's life & I can't deny it
Many times I thought of cutting out
But my heart won't buy it
But if there's nothing shakin' come this here July
I'm gonna roll
I'm gonna roll
I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball & die
Can't deny it
That's life

Dean Kay and Kelly Gordon, who wrote the song for Frank Sinatra could not have expressed my 2011 better than I could myself and so, I'm going to leave it at that. There have been good days and bad days. But, we all pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off  and get back in the race because, that's life!

Of course 2012 will be a great year because that is what we intend! And when things don't go to plan, well, we'll deal with that and take it one step at a time.

I'm providing a link to Michael singing 'That's Life' on 'The Today Show'. I chose this particuar one because it seemed like a party and it has a great feel about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1UN-DYYehc

Have a very happy New Year's Eve and a wonderful 2012.

My best.

3 comments:

  1. I love linens dried outside, they smell so wonderful. I do not have a clothes line, but drape them over lawn chairs and such. Add a little lavender sprinkled in the pillow cases and its just makes a bed so luxurious.

    Beautiful song, thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serenity: Happy New Year to you! I hope you were able to follow the link. I must learn how to put up a UTube clip properly. I loved this version of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another vote here in support of drying laundry outside in the open air. Why dry stuff in a drier when nature has all the facilities to do it for no cost and better right outside your door? That's about as reasonable to me as closing the curtains and living by electric light during the daytime. And the fresh scent of laundry dried in the open air can't be beat. Here in Canada, we find that unfortunately drying clothes indoors is a must for 6 months of the year as damp clothes simply freeze outdoors. But during that time we dry our laundry on an airer in the basement and that's almost as good as hanging outdoors in the summer. There is but one thing I would recommend the luxury of a drier for: producing soft fluffy towels. For this nothing compares.

    Our outdoor washing line also gets some use in the winter, when the outside temperature drops to about -20 Celsius, and we hang out our duvets and pillows for a few hours to kill all the little bugs that build up during the warmer months.

    Wishing everyone a simple, happy, green 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete