Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Faith


I can rarely catch my dreams. Sometimes, I can catch a feeling; perhaps fright or concern or confusion. If I am really lucky I can capture a scene, but on the whole I don’t know what I dream, other than I feel sure that I do dream.

This morning I woke up feeling quite rested but again: nothing. No dream was remembered. However, Psalm 23 was running through my head: 

“Though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.”

I lay there on my side with the words of the psalm running through my head over and over and the words conjured a memory.

It was rather a long time ago. My children were little; one of them not yet born. I was living in the United States but I had returned to Australia to spend some time with my family: a little holiday for me and the children over the American summer. I’d put the children to bed and my very sick father was asleep. My mother and I were sitting by the fire and the night was very still. Out of nowhere she said to me that she knew that something was wrong. She could feel it, she said and she wanted to know what was troubling me.

I remember feeling that the issue was so buried inside me that no words would rise to the surface that  would enable me to share my sorrow with anyone, but as we sat in silence I heard words coming from my mouth; not my voice in the slightest, but my words emanating from somewhere very deep within me.

She listened and she said to me that I had been through something that must have nearly torn me in two but she was glad that she knew; that she could understand my failure to engage with her completely now. She told me that I was very strong and that she knew that I would be all right.

Although nothing had really changed and my situation was still exactly as it had been half an hour before, I felt much better. Perhaps it was the sharing that made a difference; that I had “unburdened myself”, as they say.

When I was back in my home in the United States, I received a letter from my mother and in the letter was a cutting from the newspaper. It was this poem:

I Had a Dream

One night I had a dream
I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets
of footprints in the sand,
one belonging to me
and the other to my Lord.
When the last scene of my life shot before me
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
There was only one set of footprints.
I realized that this was at the lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This always bothered me
and I questioned the Lord
about my dilemma.
"Lord, you told me when I decided to follow You,
You would walk and talk with me all the way.
But I'm aware that during the most troublesome
times of my life there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You most,
you leave me."
He whispered,”My precious, precious child,
I love you and will never leave you
never, ever during your times of trial and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints
It was then that I carried you."

Margaret Fishback Powers
.

The gesture meant a great deal to me; not only that she had thought of me and felt the words would help but because the words were exactly right. I had been to the beaches close to where she lived all my life and the image of there being only one set of footprints because I had been carried by ‘the Lord’ in my hour of need, truly resonated with me. I kept the cutting close; referred to it often. (I think to myself at this moment, that I never told her...never told her how much the little gift meant to me...)

When it was time to pack and return to my homeland, the cutting came with me. And, when something happened where I again needed a great deal of strength and faith that this too shall pass, that I was again walking through the shadow of the valley of death, I retrieved my cutting, taped it all over for fear it would disintegrate and kept it beside me on my desk.

One day, my husband saw the little cutting and asked about it and I simply said without fanfare that my mother had sent it to me years ago. My relationship with the poem was just too private to say any more.

This morning I realized that I have not only walked through the shadow of the valley of death but I have come out the other side intact. Perhaps, this is what I had dreamt...

I would not say that I am a particularly religious person. I don’t attend church regularly although I love it when I do; get a great deal from it. I was brought up Church of England even though my mother was Catholic because when my father heard the stories of how terrified the priests had made my mother during confessions, he said he didn’t want his children going through that.

That I am not particularly religious in any organized way makes my sense of faith all the more intriguing, I think. For it is faith that has sustained me in my hour of need; faith that I am not alone and that I have the inner reserves to walk through as many shadows of the valley of death that I may need to traverse.

A few years ago, I received a call that my aunt was dying and my mother and my sister were on their way to the hospital. I dropped everything to go to be with them but I was too late and when I arrived at the hospital they told me she had passed away.

We went for coffee. To be honest, my mother and aunt were not close to their sister but I had always found she touched me in some way. On the other end of politics, a trade union person through and through, she signified for me “the battler”; that person who doesn’t have an easy life but keeps on going. My mother and aunt told me that in her final moments on this earth she had sat up from a deep sleep, thrust her arms into the air and said, “Take me”. I have thought of her often since and what her inner world must have been like.

I cannot put into words; this sense of things that one is not alone; that there is someone walking beside me. I feel it; feel it sustaining me.

It is said often, on tumblr sites and the like that if someone chooses not to be in your life, you should forget him or her. I get the point but I am not prepared to be so rigid about absence. The spirit lives on sometimes; connections are felt; nothing is over until it is over, unless you choose to end it in your heart.

9 comments:

  1. the last paragraph..wonderfully says it all

    ReplyDelete
  2. littleone: Thank you for your comment. This is why, I feel pretty sure, I am not cut out to be a journalist. I *don't want* to summarize the story in 25 words or less in the first paragraph. I *want* to ramble really and say what I want to say somewhere towards the end, if not at the very end of the writing. You see, whilst I am very happy if the reader gets something out of the writing, I am writing beause *I* need to write; because it takes me the bulk of the exercise of the writing to figure out what I am trying to say. And, yes, I think the heart of the writing here is contained in that last paragraph, as you so rightly point out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confident that I dream too. I think it is one of the ways our subconscious helps balance and correct our conscious, though it sometimes goes a little awry. I tend to only remember dreams when I wake and have one of those "oh thank goodness it was only a dream" moments, like the other night when in a dream I discovered I had four legs not two, and must have had them since birth though I had failed to notice them until that point. I must cut out the stilton before bedtime.

    I enjoy a church service too, for all my lack of religious faith. Being of Welsh blood and birth, song is deep in my soul and there is nothing more spiritual to me than a good Welsh hymn. The sound of voices raised in unison and the nobility of the expression of selfless love and devotion through song touches me deep to my core. I love Carol services the most, I find the Nativity a wonderful tale and I am full of respect for those who hold their faith dear to them.

    My way of understanding spirituality is perhaps what sets my mindset apart from those with traditional religious faith. I see spirituality as a communication with the unspoken inside us all, the deep connection we feel to each other, to the beauty of nature and to our common sense of good. I do believe that we have a soul and a purpose, but I cannot make the leap from that to the existence of a divine being or an afterlife. For me, it sits more comfortably to consider that we own our own fate, but that we have a common thread that guides us that is passed from generation to generation, perhaps busily crafting our conscious from somewhere in that 80% of the human brain whose function and purpose is not yet understood.

    I do believe there are connections between us that are real and unexplained. As a youngster I was very close to my grandmother. Nan had a special place in my heart and she loved me dearly. I was in my twenties when she died and I was sitting in motorway traffic during the morning rush 50 miles from her when she passed away. Yet I knew she was gone the moment it happened. From nowhere, thoughts of her flooded my mind and I felt the warmth of her hugs as I had felt them as a child. Somehow she found a way to say goodbye to me and I will never forget it.

    Good for you for getting in touch with your spiritual being and for believing in connections. I am sure they give us all much needed comfort and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RollyMo: Just before I left the house, I grabbed a very old book of mine from the basement, 'Feelings: Our Vital signs' by Willard Gaylin, M.D. and I've been revisiting that with relish in the past few days. I've made a number of notes in my latest journal. Consider this:

    "If being touched is to be made to feel good within our relationships, then being moved is to be made to feel good beyond our relationships. Those passages of literature that are most likely to move us are those that...affirm the very existence of love, compassion, beauty and so on..."

    I certainly agree that there is spirituality that is separate to religion, and Gaylin is all about that. He is too pragmatic to believe in the afterlife, seeing it as a trick of the mind to avoid the inevitability of death. I'm not sure that he is religous at all. But, he has a strong sense of the spiritual. It's a wonderful book and I recommend it, should it still be in print.

    So, you are of Welsh background? Me, too. I take great pride in that - the land of Richard Burton, the best acting voice there has ever been, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RollyMo: P.S. I have been reading a psychotherapist on the Internet and I have got a lot from him. He talks about dreams and their meanings. For example, many clients of his have had dreams about blocked toilets. He equates this with blocked emotions. The blocked toilet is symbolic for emotions that are blocked. I remember some dreams from the past - being stuck in the NYC subway system was an enduring dream of mine for many years, and I remember when I was younger dreaming regularly that I had gone out unwittingly in public in just a petticoat. I think all those sorts of dreams mean something about my insecurities at the time. Sometimes, I think it is just processing something we read, or saw or in a movie or whatever and then, they are just humorous. I'm intrigued by Gaylin's notion that beyond our imaginations we create our own little worlds. We are incredibly inventive, some of us, anyway. I guess I do appreciate eccentricity, though; always considered that a compliment rather than a put down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vesta,

    Totally agree with the last paragraph as well. Beautifully stated. It's interesting, as someone that gave up religious belief years ago, yet the Footprints story resonates with mouse in an offbeat way. Omega has carried mouse specifically numerous times at least it has felt that way to her. During times of deep struggles in an odd way, this one believes that people carry us through. We do not walk alone, sometimes we travel in groups, sometimes with just another person. Even our memories of those individuals that had a deep impact on our lives can see us through the most trying of times.

    Hope you (or anyone else) finds this offensive. Just expressing what went through mouse's mind as she read your words.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. mouse: Thank you for your comment. I certainly found nothing to be offended by in your comment. To speak specifically of power exchange relationships for a moment, it is a very special and fine line thing that we do here, because I believe the bottom sometimes carries the Top, in much the same way that the Top often carries the bottom. None of us is always strong. Yet, we have to maintain the power exchange at the same time as we sometimes carry. I consider that a fine art, taking huge wads of intelligence, patience and subtlety.

    I don't know if you call it intuition or a sixth sense or extra sensory perception or just wishful thinking but for a few weeks I have felt protected from afar and it has been a very heartwarming thing; something that has instilled in me a great sense of optimism and strength. Did I just conjure it up?? I don't think so. It feels too real for that. The capacity of the mind to sense and feel and interpret is vast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vesta that last couple sentences resonates deeply with me. And the rest as well, a touching post. You express your faith beautifully. Thanks for sharing:) K

    ReplyDelete
  9. K: Gosh, it was really nice to know that some people feel the same way. There seems to be so much encouragement to snuff off the old and walk away, never to return. Whilst I do recognize the need for people to move on with their lives and accept the reality of a situation, there is room to ponder that 'the end' is not an inevitability; that we can still engender warm and tender feelings; that circumstances may change. I don't think good things can happen until we are open to them really; until we can imagine them.

    ReplyDelete