Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Training - back to basics

Controversially, in my discussions with dominant men over time, I personally, and submissive women generally, have been compared to dogs; the training, keeping and owning of dogs as pets. I have an open mind, a good sense of humour and an interest in comparing one thing with another in the light of learning more, and I have enjoyed and benefitted from those discussions.

Some readers may recall that I have two little puppies and it is not lost on me that they need training, order and discipline in their lives if we are to live in harmony, peace and order. Whilst there were days when I was so mad with them I got the children to give them their dinner rather than be seen to reward them for such atrocious behaviour, some semblance of order now reigns at my home in the city. For one thing, my husband established himself as ‘top dog’ and they get that point now, loud and clear. Things were going along well - until my mother arrived.

My mother has always had a very strong connection with dogs. Her dogs live lives of luxury and she rotates her life around them. Their comfort and wants and needs are all well under control living with my mother; the best beds and blankets and food and warmth and so on. Of course, I concur with taking very good care of a pet but I don’t condone allowing a dog (or dogs in this case) to rule my life.

Thus it is that this submissive girl has just made a line in the sand. My little dogs have just been put outside on their leads attached to a long rope, where they not may pee in my house, may not run about the open garden where we currently are in the country to wander onto the road, may not choose to come to us only when it pleases them. They will stay on their leads until it suits us (and not them) to take them for a long and fun walk off their leads where it is safe for them and they will learn to come inside when they are called. I am insisting after several days of high disorder that they accept that they are to do the right thing whether my mother and her naughty dog is here or not.

A dominant friend of mine, clever man that he is, said to me recently that he didn’t believe all my talk that I was an ineffectual mother, unable to rule my roost. I giggled, for he is exactly right. I am incredibly good to my children but woe betides them when they behave in obnoxious and downright upsetting ways. They know what is right and what is wrong, just as my puppies know too, and I won’t be taken advantage of, just because I have a submissive nature.

It is no co-incidence that I married the man I married. He calls a spade a spade and he always has done so. He has standards and no child, so far, has been willing to take him on in any major way. He’s the boss and we adhere to his high standards of behaviour. If he were here, those naughty puppies would never have behaved so disgracefully and taken such advantage of my kind mother. They would have accepted that the boss was home and they would do what is right. This is what upsets me so; that they can take such advantage of sensitive souls.

Over the years when we were bringing up the children, children with strong minds and strong opinions, I found myself saying over and over to my husband, “I can’t believe that they would treat me so.” I often thought that my deep, deep love for them should be enough for them to behave themselves.

“Oh darling, it doesn’t work like that,” my husband would explain to his teary wife. “They are children! They don’t look at it that way. You need to set rules and have structure and you have to tell them what you expect.”

I am not sure that today is the day to compare such raising of children and dogs with the development of a submissive girl. (Can you tell I am a bit emotional?) Would a submissive girl take advantage of a man who was too soft? Does a submissive girl need some guidelines as to how to behave? Such dangerous territory this!

7 comments:

  1. "Would a submissive girl take advantage of a man who was too soft?" Abso-frickin'-lutely!

    "Does a submissive girl need some guidelines as to how to behave?" Abso-frickin'-lutely!

    That husband of yours is a guru! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. vesta,

    Oh how I can relate to every word you have written! I feel like printing this and putting it up on my refrigerator so I can read it again and again. Then I might not feel so alone at times.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Man: How you made me smile! And, calling my husband a "guru"! Gosh, won't you make his day when he gets a chance to read that!?

    The thing is my husband is from a farm. He is profoundly earthy with his feet very firmly on the ground. I seem to have a thing for these farm boys...

    Lovely to receive your comment. I do wish I heard more from the doms.

    mouse: I have missed you so, you sweet thing! Our minds seem to think oh so alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 08, 2010

    yes, yes and oh yes but dangerous is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comparing submissives with dogs is such a degrading comparison that I have always assumed it to be part of the "game". Certainly the comparison doesn't otherwise bear much analysis, for at least a couple of reasons:

    Discipline in D/s seems essentially to be based on punishment for transgression. You certainly wouldn't train an animal on that basis, let alone raise a human child.

    Animals and children are naive learners, in that punishment is generally received as punishment. The relationship of a submissive to their "punishment" is, I imagine, more complex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir J: Well, I am ever so slightly drawn to "dangerous".

    PL: In many ways, I would not compare the two, since I am a submissive myself and I think this blog bears out that I am nothing if not "complex". But, there are similarities. Both are "owned" (in some cases, anyway), both adore praise, both want the security of being close to the owner, both are reliant on the owner or Master being good to them, both are, generally, loyal, both need to be cared for, but not spoiled. I could go on.

    In terms of training a dog, a child or a submissive, I believe there are consequences for bad decisions, because that's life. We all will be punished (have to bear the consequences) of poor decision making.

    I suppose, but am not entirely sure if I agree, that D/s is essentially based on "punishment for transgression". I used to think that and it held huge erotic appeal for me, but it didn't actually work in real terms, day after day. Like your saying to yourself that you want perfect lips, I turned it around and thought of my D/s relationship role as training myself to let go of my ego; to accept that I needed to feel "owned" in all its dimensions. Truthfully, I am rarely "punished" although I do experience the outcomes of poor choices, which usually means that I suffer a telling off or that my company is not sought after for a while. I focus now on being a good submissive who doesn't require "punishment" per se (but rather is "corrected/maintained). That is the game plan.

    I think we all hate to be "degraded" and I hope that it was not interpreted in that way, but I do understand where you are coming from. Your comment is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. > ... to let go of my ego; to accept that I needed to feel "owned"
    > in all its dimensions.

    Yes, I have to admit I am attracted to your understanding of submission, and of the D/s relationship.

    ReplyDelete