Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Respect

A discussion over coffee this morning with girls I know at the gym reminded me of how very fortunate I am to have been able to express my submissive nature; to have been accepted for my nature and to explore that nature in its full length and breadth. For it is a most vanilla world out there, away from these pages and others like it, where I have no hope of expressing my true nature or of being accepted for who I truly am.

In the group of women with whom I sat, there was talk of a woman whose marriage with a renowned surgeon crumbled because “she wanted too much sex”. And, there was a story of a couple who had been unable to consummate their marriages after ten years. In every example and comment there was mention of people unable to find satisfaction with the person with whom they shared their lives over some aspect of power, desire for affection or how to live their lives. There were a lot of really confused people, it seemed to me!

I had a strong reminder lately that in the kind of relationship where I function best and at my most happy and complete, there is deep respect. There is respect for me for the woman that I am, the whole woman, and there is respect for me for the particular needs that I have to be at the bottom of a power exchange. I am humbled and eternally grateful for that understanding and care.

Equally important is that I show and feel respect for the person on the top. It does not do me or the relationship we share the slightest bit of good for there to be doubt about who is leading whom. In my relationship, there are ways and means of expressing my point of view, of asking for something or even giving thanks for something. It is not my role to be anything other than pleasing. It is my role to use my talents to persuade, point out something, or offer my opinion in an appropriate manner.

Of all the lessons I have learned, I think this one has actually been the hardest one for me to put into action minute by minute and day by day. I have always had flashes of anger, or frustration or being peeved and from the moment we started dating it has bothered my husband and he has done his best to stamp it out. If I have to repeat myself three times because he has not heard me well enough, then so be it. Maybe next time I might get his attention first, or not be turned away when I talk to him. Frustration on my part, illustrated in the tone of my voice is not something he wants to hear.

I had a flash of anger several days ago and was met with instant dismissal. Much more punishing to me than getting a good telling off on the spot is dismissal. As so many submissives have said before me, it is the disconnection that is the punishment. In retrospect, it was a darn good call. It took me a full 24 hours to really understand that this situation was all my doing, and that it was I who had chosen to bring this on myself. No self respecting dominant is going to put up with a “mean and nasty” girl, as I was later called.

Of course, the correction imposed is really more like a salvation than a punishment for a correction/punishment is the beginning of a reconciliation of the dynamic: a cleansing of sorts and most submissives will do whatever necessary to make amends and be returned to good graces, I think.

I can say all of this because I am completely confident about who I am now and what I need and what my dominant needs, too. And I would not want to damage what I have for the world, for it has great value to me. Respect for one another is one of the great strengths of a high functioning power exchange relationship and to this end, a role model for any relationship between two people, surely.

I’ll be darned if I understand what the big deal is for those in vanilla land and why so few people actually understand the subtleties and strengths of the power exchange dynamic. I am still the same woman sitting there amongst those women this morning as I am here, yet I am unable to share this part of my life. I am unable to share that I am incredibly happy with my relationship for fear that I am seen as less because of my desire and need to be at the bottom of a profoundly moving and marvellously successful interpersonal relationship. And, that is just ignorant.

8 comments:

  1. Your 100th post for this year! What an excellent conclusion!

    Welcome to the bored-at-childrens-parties-or-gilrs-at-the gym- club!

    cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. vesta,

    I think one of the biggest problems in vanilla-land, which I'm coming to believe is more based in fantasy than anything, is the notion that the couple are equals. I've seen this time and again where no one leads and it seems clear that one of them should really step up.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing that we have the answer to so many marriage problems yet no one will listen!!! I guess we are just the lucky ones.

    It is sad though to see women so unhappy within their relationships and not be able to help.
    Great post,
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I have had doubts and struggles with TTWD nothing can put me back on track with all this quicker than getting together for coffee with the gals. Just hearing of all the problems, seprations, therapies and divorce makes me feel so greatful that we are establishing systems in our life to deal with problems and communication skills to ensure we stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanilla relationships are a twilight world where little is at it seems, least of all to the participants.

    The game aspect of D/s is attractive but. for those people who want neither to beat nor to be beaten, surely they have to find a different game?

    ReplyDelete
  6. cassie: My 100th post, is it? I did not know that. They actually don't bore me. We talk about a wide range of topics and I get lots of giggles out of them. I just can't reveal myself the way I can here, which makes this a very special place.

    mouse: I think it is more complicated in a vanilla relationship and it takes excellent communication skills to keep everything on track. I was in a vanilla relationship of sorts for long enough to have felt really confused about it all but I think there does have to be a leader of some sort.

    Janet: I agree that there are a lot of unhappy women in relationships unsure as to what exactly is wrong. I think women often need a strong and brave man but also one who is soft and caring, too. D/s gives a woman the whole package and makes these relationships enviable. There are definitely lessons here for a vanilla relationship in trouble.

    Serenity: We are being proactive, for sure and you just recently saw the great good to you in doing that. It helps to have kindness as a key ingredient in a relationship and where there is so much struggle in relationships, I wonder if that is the missing ingredient above all others.

    PL: One of the factors of a D/s relationship that makes it so good is that the two participants are so connected. I think connectedness could improve any relationship at all and sharing fun times together and listening to one another speak is a great place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. . . . for those people who want neither to beat nor to be beaten . . .

    The physical manifestation of a beating or spanking is such a small expression of the "game" of D/s. I think over time you will find that D/s is 90% mental and 10% physical. It is all about context even though what you "see" is the content.

    Recognize the feelings exposed in Vesta's current posting, Stripping Agnes, to get the feel for what the dynamic is much more often about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David: Thank you. Nicely put.

    ReplyDelete