Sunday, January 16, 2011

Knowledge

There have been times when I have felt fragile. I sometimes wished that I was more assertive; more committed to a career; more able to stand on my own two feet. I have at times resented my nature, seeing it as somehow less than those who appeared so strong; whole; resilient.

I have come to understand matters more completely. I am resilient. I am strong. I am whole. I have in abundance compassion and the ability to love. I was given all the resources I required to endure and thrive. I did not know that then but I know that now.

5 comments:

  1. It's always nice to finally understand your strengths. To find what makes you who you are.

    William

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a while to learn who we are and appreciate the strengths we have.

    Seems like our strength are also weaknesses at times, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really? I am glad you now see what is so obvious to some of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father's favorite admonition to us as children was that "Comparisons are odious." Truly there is nothing to be gained by comparing yourself to others, only to your own needs, desires and situation. In that light, you are indeed an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. William: Yes! I am not ready to talk too directly about what prompted this post but I certainly did realize with a bang that I am made of true grit.

    Mick: And "yes" again! I did think of myself as having a certain weakness and it came like a bolt out of the blue that all along I had been very strong (if not ignorant of matters). Do you remember in the movie with Mary Tyler Moore and Donald Sutherland, "Ordinary People"; that moment when the son is told by the psychiatrist that *he* was the strong one? It felt like that!

    Sir J: Ahhhh! That's so nice. Nice to have such nice friends.

    greengirl: I was really touched by this comment. It is a rare day when I compare myself to other women really. But, I think I was comparing myself to how I viewed myself in the past and where the truth really lies.

    ReplyDelete