Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Play

As a mother of four children and a woman who was trained to be a high school teacher, I watched with fascination last night a documentary about children’s play. American children, it was proposed, were at risk of losing essential free play in their lives. So competitive had American parents become on their children’s behalf and so terrified of what might befall a child if left unsupervised, their free play time was evaporating. We saw footage of very young children, less than eight years old saying that they felt “stressed” (I wondered how they learned that word...) They relayed that they were always expected to be doing something.

The vast majority of parents around the world would be inclined to agree that team sports build character. I agree that sometimes team sports build character and I also agree that sometimes team sports are just counterproductive. I saw evidence of both scenarios with my own children. It has to be the right sort of team and the right sort of sport with the right sort of coach to be a positive experience, in my opinion. When I saw one son being sidelined and the coach acting like a control freak weirdo, I suggested to my son that he might be better able to fill in his Sunday afternoon. He was just so relieved that he didn’t need to handle any more of our expectations of him. Instead, he did what he really wanted to do: highly competitive and challenging stuff but on a whole other level. As one expert on children’s play reported, team sports have the potential to build character.

And another thing: The researchers discovered that in team sports some kids hold back. They don’t want to make a mistake in front of the screaming onlookers. But, take those kids and put them with other kids in a smaller situation, such as their own neighbourhood away from the screaming parents and they became leaders on the sports fields.

But, I digress. The important point made, based on considerable research is that free play situations for children are essential to build their emotion intelligence; to develop problem solving strategies and conflict resolution strategies.

It was fascinating to watch what happened on a primary school playground when adults made available equipment other than balls and bats. They scattered into the trees, a variety of coloured scarves, and what do you know! Suddenly, many children were using those scarves to imagine all sorts of scenarios. They were, for forty minutes, different people in far off lands. The playground came alive with the sounds of children at play: happy, bubbly, creative children. It was a sight to see!

When I moved to America, I was just a simple Aussie girl with my own simple notions of bringing up children. If they wanted to play in a mud puddle on a stinking hot day, that was fine by me. That is what free, creative Australian children do. I was shocked to discover that this was a real novelty to the American parents who looked on. They had never seen such a thing: the abandon of a child who has sat on the sidelines all sticky hot summer day to watch his older brother in a soccer tournament simply have enough, take off all his clothes and wade through the puddle stark naked. To me, it was the most normal event in the entire world.

My two eldest children adored the Robin Williams’ Captain Hook movie, ‘Hook’, and I loved it too. It was so filled with an imaginative spirit that it was impossible not to fall in love with it. Imagine my confusion, therefore, when I found myself involved in a conversation with American mothers full of complaint about the movie. They thought it just “silly”. I just kept my mouth closed. Their world of bringing up children was something totally alien to me.

When we left America, we were snowed in for almost a week. Everything had gone. We had nothing in the house but some cardboard boxes. Never fear! We also had some masking tape and my daughter got to work to make a “house”. For three days, she and her younger brother played in their house, blissfully happy and content.

With my two younger children, I had to accept that their sort of play was going to be different. They both adored the screen and whilst they had full and varied extra-curricular lives in the form of music and sport and drama and so on, their creative play might have them in the library at lunchtime working with another aficionado of animation or whatever, putting together a movie. So be it. We are all different. A ball is not going to appeal to every kid just as one sort of recreation is not going to appeal to all adults.

As the child psychologist in the documentary said in so many words: It is about raising a resilient child. In this world the most important thing we learn to do is to adapt. Children must be resilient enough to adapt to life’s challenges. They can’t learn this skill wrapped in cotton wool, constantly supervised.

Whilst free play for my children was something that I instinctively understood and provided, it hadn’t occurred to me that I also needed free play; the opportunity to lose myself in a world of my own invention, or to have the opportunity to adapt to someone else’s version of a wonderful world.

My husband, too, perhaps didn’t understand that. He was a child who really knew how to play. With a large farm as his playground, he and his siblings were very creative and free indeed. But as he grew older, he may have lost sight of its importance.

Nowadays, we play freely and often with one another. And each time we do, we gain something: the opportunity to lose ourselves in our own creativity; an opportunity to be free and unencumbered. You are never too old or too young to want or need to play in a way most suited to you.

14 comments:

  1. We allow our son to play whatever he wants to play, and it is amazing the games and stories he comes up with all by himself. He has no siblings, but he is never bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more. I grew up in the US in a small town on a short dead-end street -- 20 houses and about as many children of various ages. We played in the street. We played in the woods. We played in the field behind the houses, kindly mowed by a neighbor. A couple of kids had music lessons. Some played organized baseball in the summer. Other than that, outside school, we were free. I think something has gone seriously wrong in the US. Parents move to the suburbs, and are still afraid to allow their children out in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William: That is great to hear.

    Anon: We were in a very similar situation in the States. My kids loved it and would play with the neighbourhood kids virtually every day, making great use of the woods around us. When we got to Australia, they were really confused. Where are the kids? We had moved to a lovely street but all the kids were behind high fences and out of sight. Alas, there are very similar issues going on here now as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son, raised in Texas, had plenty of opportunities for self-expression through play. His favorite toy was a simple wooden sword that became a gun, a guitar and who knows what else. When stuck into the house, he loved to make up his own experiments. Today, he is a chemistry major hoping to teach.

    Imagination is crucial to the development of society. It is a crime to demand that all activities be supervised and encompassed by a long list of rules. Rule breakers are the people who think outside the box and bring newness to life.

    Even as adults, we need that renewal, that playful abandon. Perhaps those of us who played outside for endless hours, are the ones who still think outside the box when it comes to our sexuality. That would be a great master's thesis...the correlation of childhood play and adult sexuality. Hmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, play is important. And just enough danger. For adults too, I agree.

    Stresses and strains and "worldly cares" can get in the way too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vesta,

    As a mother I've felt that my children's play time is something I actively have had to work hard to protect. And not just against sports, but video games, tv and educational programs. I was seen as some sort of radical person because I didn't send my 4 year olds off to preK, but I just felt the backyard was a much better place for them, and I still feel that was a very good choice.

    As you know my older two are over structured right now, by their own choice. But we do try to balance that out by not having structured activities in the summer.

    Great post!

    Love,
    Serenity

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) I like this! Back 15 years when I was 10 years old I remember using my imagination to create all sorts of worlds. My siblings and I weren't bogged down with too many extracurricular activities, or zombies in front of a TV watching shows or playing video games all day. We made mud pies and played house, or cowboys and indians, and built tee-pees, explored the forest, and even had "camp outs" in our backyard using the family tent.

    Now, as an adult, I still explore and use my imagination, not just sexually, but in all areas. I think it's healthy, and helps create a life with a lot less stress than others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mindset: I could write for hours just on what you had to say here. Something like a toy wooden sword can really leap them into their imagination. My youngest son is the greatest pacficist the world may ever have known. He cares about every creature. But, he has an assortment of plastic swords that seem to take him into roles that mean a great deal to him. I can hear him cutting the air when he is getting ready for bed and he is mid teens.

    Ahhhhh, rule followers! They are not allowed in my household. Every few weeks I hear my husband telling some person on the phone off: "Oh, so you are another rule follower..."

    And finally, I get to meet another person who contemplates Master's thesis topics! I do this routinely. Yes! It would make a great topic for a thesis. I wonder if we have inspired anyone...

    PH: I think a little bit of danger is just something we have to allow our children to have.

    Serenity: It was brave to keep your child at home when everyone is insisting they be sent off to nursery school. I did send my first child a little early, I think. The separation anxiety was not at all nice. There is definitely a right time for each child, I think.

    It is incredibly tough to get the right balance of extra curricula activities. For my youngest son now I ask him what he thinks. He told me he didn't want to take on another choir and then in the next breath told me he was auditioning for the play. It requires consultation and careful thought as to what stimulates them but doesn't stress them out. I know that it isn't easy!

    Alice: It sounds like you had a great time and it set you up to be a very constructive adult. Re the video games, it seems to be that it is rare for girls to get addicted. Both my young sons adore doing various things on the computer and I've decided to take the view that so long as they balance that with other activities I am not going to go too crazy about it. But, I dearly wish that they never invented video games at all! And, after all, I can't be a hypocrite. I love my screen time too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My eldest daughter is 26, whilst my stepdaughter is only 9, and the differences in how she played/how she plays are extreme. My daughter was always content using her imagination with whatever was around her, expressing her creativity in varied ways. She never complained of being bored. My stepdaughter on the other hand, with her flatscreen tv, dvd player, pc, Ipod Touch, NDS, swimming lessons, dance class etc etc etc, complains of boredom and expects her parents to amuse her rather than use her imagination and skills to amuse herself. Technology overload and too many structured activities is, imo, robbing her of creativity and of the joy of being a small child and I do worry how this will translate in adulthood fr her. It saddens me no end :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vesta,

    Amazing! Just had a conversation with a friend and she was saying that they took away recess for her first grader. Naturally, she was livid seeing the kids walk around for 20 minutes. They walked in a line three times a day. They did it because the teachers complained it took the kids too long to line up and wait to be brought back in.

    All her friends have their kids enrolled in things from the time they get out of school until bedtime, sometimes passed bedtime. Meals are served in the car on the way to this or that. Weekends are the same. If there is a scheduling error and the kids end up with "nothing to do," then the children are bored and expect entertainment. How will these kids be as adults?

    My friend has her daughter enrolled in a dance class and that's it. Some of the little girls at her daughter's school have told her daughter that they must be poor because she doesn't do more.

    It's sad.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. shape shifter: I sympathize. My kids are very spread out too and the difference in raising a child back then and now is vast. I really do feel that children need practice in having next to nothing but their imaginations lest they discover that without technology and supervised activites, there is "nothing to do".

    Yet, I do believe that we must embrace the new technologies and encourage intelligent use of them. They are here to stay and kids need to learn how to embrace them in their lives without the technologies taking over them. In our final year at school the students are asked to appraise newspaper articles as to author's intent and how they tried to sell their message. In no time, I foresee other technologies also being analyzed within the classroom.

    The boredom factor for your stepdaughter does raise alarm bells. If my son looks lost, I suggest he goes read one of those old fashion things called 'books'.

    mouse: This is exactly what the documentary discussed: kids who were so over-scheduled. I think some extra curricula activities are highly valuable. At my son's school every student plays a sport year round and has two sports practices a week. It is the rare boy who complains. It is just the way it is and I see nothing wrong with this programme whatsoever. But, getting the child up at dawn and having them eat dinner in the car. I just don't see the value in that at all. A child psychologist friend told me that the second most important indicator as to whether a child will go to college is if they eat their dinner around a table with their family regularly. I took that seriously and it is something we do virtually every night of the year. People have to weigh up what is *really* important to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vesta,
    One of my first posts when I started my blog was about play (http://greengirl-whatiwonder.blogspot.com/2009/09/some-time-ago-on-jzs-blog-she-mused.html)
    It's funny - because I linked back to one of your posts in it. I think this is incredibly important for kids - but - as you said - for adults as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My experience is much like Mouse's kids scheduled for every moment of the day, it is so sad. Long live play, unstructured free play for all of us.

    Great Post Vesta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir J: Sometimes, just eliminating one single solitary extra activity can make the world of difference. I wish I had my time over - it was too much stress for everyone always having something to do and somewhere to go. I am enjoying the quiet pace of life, for sure and I think the kids are as well.

    ReplyDelete