Thursday, January 27, 2011

Assistance

Anyone who has read regularly on my online journal would understand that in submitting to a dominant force, I am responding to an innate sense that this is right for me. I find it erotically appealing and as well, it is my nature to respond in a submissive way.

I feel compelled however to make clear to any readers that look towards this journal for some advice as to their personal lives that over considerable time I have reached a point along my life journey where I believe that responding to my life events in a submissive way alone is an inadequate response to the challenges I face.

I am not one to run to the doctor. I certainly attend his rooms if I am due for preventative care or if my children need his attention, but only once in my life have I mentioned in passing that I have a personal difficulty of a psychological nature. I didn’t ask for help and he obviously didn’t think I needed help at that point and it was just a cursory chat. Apart from that, I have never sought psychological assistance. I have simply done by best on my own.

The moment in time when one reaches the point and understands that one has to take care of oneself is completely arbitrary, it seems to me. I could not have predicted that the past week or so would see me understand that this is something I had to do for myself.

I have made the first appointment and set in place some professional care for myself. I need to talk my issues through with someone who can guide me over a handful of sessions in the process of making things better. I see it, now that I have made the decision and acted upon it, as a very positive step, both for me and for my marriage and our lives together. There is no reason at all that anyone should feel threatened about such a step. If I had a physical injury I would see my doctor, and now that I have identified that there is an issue that I cannot handle all on my own, I will attend the doctor that can help me with that. But, I concede that it is very new for us; absolutely the first time ever and it is a bit daunting at this time for us, as well as empowering for me as well.

This step has no effect whatsoever on my submissive state of mind or on the power exchange in which I engage. Indeed, I see it as an opportunity to live better, stronger, and happier and with more balance. If all goes as I hope it will, the power exchange will be strengthened and enriched. Indeed, I intend to disclose that I am in a power exchange relationship so that it is clear how I live my life, what comes naturally to me and what I want.

I share this information with you because I do feel a responsibility to the reader of my online journal. If you feel that you need some help along the way, whether you are dominant or submissive, you should get the help. There is no reason whatsoever why it should endanger the power exchange. To ask for help is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength and I can assure you, I feel better already.

13 comments:

  1. Body, soul, and spirit, take care of the whole being! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was... there are no words to express how thankful and touched I am by what you wrote in this post. Something I'm just learning about myself is that asking for help is extremely difficult for me. I grew up in a house were you were told to just "suck it up", especially for emotional difficulties. So thank you for making a point to remind us, your readers, that asking for help is not a weakness, but a strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vesta

    I'm very sorry to hear about this. Your attitude to seeking help is exactly right. I agree that it is absolutely necessary to be completely open with the person you see.

    One hopes that your husband is properly supportive.

    PL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went through several tough years when my daughter was diagnosed suddenly with bipolar disorder so I have learned quite a bit. Mostly that not enough people speak openly about mental issues, there is a real taboo surrounding them. Which is funny to think about when you realize how many medications are being prescribed everyday.
    I too came to realize that as I have grown older that I am unable to control my anxiety like I used to. I also grew up and still have a mother who believes in the suck it up religion, but sometimes its not that easy. These are chemical imbalances in our bodies for which we have no control over. I always say its the ones who say they are sane that you have to watch out for.

    I am stepping down from my soap box now...good luck and stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very proud of you for taking this course of action. Wish you lots of healing.

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vesta,

    Good for you! You've always come across as a very wise and powerful woman. Asking for the assistance you need shows a tremendous amount of inner strength and self knowledge.

    Love,
    Serenity

    ReplyDelete
  7. More power to you, sunshine.
    We're rootin' for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So well written. It makes me sad, because I haven't found that "moment in time" yet...and in reality its loooong overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vesta,
    I think you are a beautiful person. I really just wanted to share that with you. xx
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect. All around, perfect. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck Vesta. I'm proud of you for getting help when you felt you needed it. It sure helped my wife a few years ago deal with issues she had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Vesta,

    "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Every step we take, in any direction, is an opportunity to discover something new, a perfect excuse for yet another journey into ourselves.

    Love as always,
    cassie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mindset: Very, very kind. It is just lovely having you as a regular commenter these days.

    Alice: I understand. I really do. It took me a long time to feel comfortable with that thought. I wrote the post just in case there were people who would respond to it as you did, so my very special thanks to you as well.

    PL: He has been very supportive and in fact discussions have opened up that I never thought possible. It's all good. Thank you, as always, for your friendship.

    submissivebf: It is indeed about anxiety. On the whole, I have strategies in place to handle anxiety but my husband's business activities can make me feel unsafe at times (correctly or not) and my anxiety can get out of control. This is what I want to work on in a professional way now.

    I take my hat off to you learning all your can about bi-polar for your daughter just as I had to learn about ADD for two of my children. The more you know the more you can help and there is no reason why your daughter can't have a happy and fulfilled life with such a good mother behind her.

    Serenity: It is lovely to know that I give you that impression and I am most grateful for your words of affirmation and support.

    Mick: What a lovely thing to say. I am impressed at how you turned your life around: a transformation if ever there was one. You're one of the truly good men!

    Jz: Aren't you a very kind friend. I appreciate that very much.

    Hawk: Well, that is what I am here for; reminding you that if I can do it, you can do it.

    goodgirl: Oh, darling! We have a very special bond, don't we, and I think the world of you too.

    greengirl: So kind; very typical of you; thank you.

    William: I have come to rely on you for your support and lovely comments. Thank you, once again.

    cassie: You have the most beautiful and appropriate quotes and poems to share with me and I have appreciated every one of them, my dear friend.

    In a general way, I wish to thank you all for your outpouring of good wishes and love. I feel cherished and cared for and send you all my heartfelt thanks.

    ReplyDelete