Sunday, September 16, 2012

Wanting everything

On  a practical level, it's impossible to separate myself from the woman who is a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, the owner of dogs. It takes a lot of time out of my life to fulfill my responsibilities because it is important to me and to them that I fulfill those responsibilities well. If the people in your life don't matter enough to you to give them a good deal of your time, then it's hard to know what else could matter more. At least, that's the way I see it and the way I live my life. My strong tendency is to sort all that out and when everybody seems relatively comfortable about all that, I can do my own work.

Now that I'm doing a writing course which at times really stretches my knowledge banks, I've had to, at times, explain that I can't do any more at this time; that I really must sit down and absorb myself in my reading and writing. To put it in perspective, for the last year or so I've done 62 weekly assignments without even one week's break. I have been asked to learn something quite new to me and to demonstrate that learning by handing in an assignment complete with references to prove that I have indeed done the reading and absorbed the new material and now have new skills.

I've also completed 5 major assignments all of which have taken considerable research, planning and writing. There really is never a day or even hardly an hour when at the back of my mind is not the thought that, like a good little circus dog I have to jump through a hoop; have to face my demons of feeling inadequate and come up with the goods to impress a Professor yet again.

The current subject is daunting for me, at least, at the moment. Here I am trying to write my very first adaptation, barely knowing what an adaptation is whilst students in my group talk of having "shot" an adaptation last Sunday and knowing this and that producer. I read something like that and think 'Oh. My. God. What am I doing here? What am I trying to prove?'

Yet, I really love learning and I love making myself face my demons. I work with my insecurities, insisting of myself that I put one foot in front of the other and just keep moving forward. Some days are brilliant and I feel 'on fire' with it and some days like now (can you tell?) I am cloaked in dismay of what I don't know and how old I am to be attempting this in the first place. If I walked away (and I don't intend to do that) no-one would be bothered about it particularly. No-one is relying on me to bring home the bacon from this new knowledge and when I enrolled into the course the idea was that I get some intellectual stimulation from it; nothing much more than that really was thought necessary in order to validate the exercise.

There is no necessity that I get Distinctions and High Distinctions, yet I can't stop that being my goal (a goal I have so far achieved). Would a Credit or a Pass be a disaster? Of course not. "Ps get degrees" my oldest's son's closest friend advised me. And, I actually put stock in his counsel. He's a young man who has impressed me with his ability to make every post a winner. My son tells me he is onto his second "project" (I call them his 'transformations') and I knew right then that I was talking to a Dominant in the making (something I had always suspected anyway). We warmed to one another immediately and I immediately recognized his nature. We chat sometimes online and every interaction has been 'spot on'; dripping with dominant qualities and a specific sense of humor. But, I digress.

My husband was playing with me earlier today, as he likes to do on a Sunday morning. I was perfectly compliant and enjoying myself on one level. Yet, I couldn't turn off the chatter in my mind, of all that I had to do; of how I was starting to feel that I was already getting behind in this subject and how the activities all week had kept me distracted from my reading.

My husband came up to me just now and said, "If the children weren't here I would tie you to the desk and you wouldn't be able to move until all your work was done." Yes, that's the sort of thing that I think would work. I'd feel contained at the same time as I got my work done. A command that I do my work is probably what I need right now. (Oh, so you noticed, I'm writing this post instead of doing my reading!!?)

I want very much to incorporate a doll state of  mind into my every day but that competes with the need to do well in this course. My thinking  brain competes with my desire to be a domestic goddess of sorts; for the food to be delicious and the flowers beautifully arranged; for my body to be switched on and my brain hungry for use. Yes. Yes. Yes. I want everything. What's wrong with that!?

5 comments:

  1. Vesta, you're an achiever. There's no denying that. You like to feel you are giving your best and that pushes you to go the 'extra mile' rather than just get 'P's, whether that's in keeping house or keeping up with college work. Your son's friend might have counseled you otherwise, but deep down it is ingrained in you to give your utmost, every time.

    From the perspective of the Dominant, that's a wonderful trait to have in a submissive as one is pushing the willing horse, so to speak. You want to do well and receive recognition for that; you respond well to praise and to constructive criticism. You're easy to lead by goal setting and appraisal. You're motivated and organized enough to not require constant chasing and cajoling to get a job done. You can be left to achieve your targets once set, with minimal supervision. You're a leader's dream come true :) Heck, you've even pushed yourself hard with regard to finding inner peace and fulfillment.

    However, with close control you could be so much more. I love motor racing and to me you're like a formula one race car - jaw-dropping when properly mastered but also needing down time due to the pace and intensity with which your engine runs. You need very precise engineering, firm control and tight parameters set on your operating environment otherwise you don't run smoothly.

    That's where the influence of a strong, controlling, ever-present force is needed in your life. You need someone to push you hard through the bends and make you scream in delight on the straight-aways. Your driver needs to pick a track that is designed to bring the best out of you, and you need frequent pit stops and maintenance to keep you in tip-top shape.

    Without that, I fear you'll be forever fouling your spark plugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. rollymo: I'm not going to argue with a single word of this. It was indeed very kind of you to write it and it certainly made me smile.

    I like the analogy you used very much but I found myself thinking of Black Caviar, our super horse who went to Ascot, won, and met the Queen. You may know that she only just won and the jockey was criticized for the way he rode Black Caviar. But, my son sent me a link to the real story a few days ago and the simple fact is that Black Caviar was exhausted; overdue for a rest. With the strongest will to win she did what she had been taught to do as a youngster and simply put her head down and out in order to reach the line first. Other than that disaster would have befallen and her unbeaten record would have been forever tarnished.

    I've an undeniable thirst to make every post a winner. It seems to have been bred into me. Yet, I watched Anthony Hopkins interviewed for the Actors' Studio last night and he kept saying things like, "In the end it doesn't matter" and "What will be, will be" and "Surrender" and "Good acting happens when you let the ego go and just flow". This is what I have tried to do. But, I have inherited those 'never say die' genes and they can get in the way with my goals. But, I'm sure you can believe me that I won't stop trying to surrender to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vesta, I don't think those 'never say die' genes are necessarily at odds with your desire to submit fully. Not to belittle your progress to date, which has been remarkable, but if you were to make the solemn pledge that "every day, in every way, I will be more submissive than yesterday" then I am sure you would obtain wonderful results using precisely that motivating force.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rollymo: That's a good idea. I've been trying to incorporate the different aspects of my life together. I wrote about that a few posts ago. I'll certainly give it some more thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The class sounds terrific! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete