Sunday, December 19, 2010

Perception

A few days ago, as part of the preparation for the holidays, I had my nails refilled. This event takes place every two to three weeks and I go to the same nail salon with the same Chinese girls. I sat down and put out my hands, as you do. She gasped.

"So long."

"Yep"

I've been through this so many times now I am almost oblivious to their reactions. They do a little shrug, maybe a few words about how I must "be careful" and then go ahead and do the refill. But, there have been times when I have been intimidated by these girls. Their 'encouragement' to "make shorter" my nails has had me agreeing to take off some length. I seem to be an anomaly to them, that I should want nails longer than the other clients, but I have learned to stand my ground.

It was more than irritating therefore when a young woman, about fifteen years younger than me, blew into the salon saying that she needed a new set of nails and could it be done immediately. They were frantically busy but squeezed her in - the woman with the very long dyed hair with a part in the middle of her head. I was curious about her and gobsmacked when I looked at the length of her new nails. Not a single word of concern or negativity had been raised about the length of her nails - almost twice as long as mine! She wasn't encouraged to "be careful" and nor did they shake their heads at the length she had instructed her girl to cut them. Quietly and without fanfare she was getting the longest set of acrylic nails I had ever seen, apart from photographs!

I have to think that my appearance led them to feel a certain way about me, whereas her appearance and her whole persona (I wondered if she might be a domme/switch) led them to feel an entirely different way about her. I really have no idea as to where the truth lies and can only speculate.

All my online friends are the most regular looking of people, really. There would be no reason at all for a passerby to feel that he or she is in the midst of kink. I think we are virtually undetectable. Yes, the wearing of a corset perhaps says something. Possibly, a few tattoos give a clue. A certain kind of shoe might suggest something. But I don't think anybody could be sure about any of the people I know, including me. There is nothing to suggest the thoughts that are racing through our minds; our desires for a certain kind of handling. People might wonder but they can't know anything by our appearance.

In the same way, I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely to call this girl with the very long nails a domme/switch, or into kink at all. She may, quite simply, love very long nails. Who is to say? Yet, I sense I am right about her; feel almost sure that she has a secret and that made her very interesting to me.

Here's what I think: The man of her life, a very dominant man indeed, has instructed her to get a set of nails of an inch in length and for them to be done by the end of the day. It was a work day for her and immediately collecting her child from school (she had a rather naughty little boy with her who she was having trouble controlling, which made it all the more interesting to me that she might be a domme/switch) she drove fast to the nail salon and without an appointment used her assertive style to get their co-operation. They sensed she was unlike their other clients and didn't bother to try to control her, rather fitting her in and doing what they were told. Upon leaving the salon, she would scoop up the naughty little boy and race home to tidy up the house, prepare dinner and await her man, who would be delighted to see the claws at the end of her fingers. Her top appeased, they would settle into a night of lovely debauchery.

Now, who in the salon would think that scenario of me? Who would ever believe that my instruction to them to have my nails a certain length came to me as a command? Who would ever think that I was going home to a night of slutty, kinky play? Who would ever look at me and think, 'There's a slut if ever I saw one!"

It has made people watching all the more fun for me. I look at the most regular of people and try to guess what is going on in their very private minds. Could they be thinking what I am thinking? What sluts!

8 comments:

  1. I'm wondering - was she a lot younger than you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oatmeal girl: Definitely; I'd say about fifteen years younger. Do you think that is part of it - our age - that people think we are 'over the hill'? Hunh! They should think again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking of having My lovely slut get artificial nails. I think they are very sexy, and I want her to feel sexy about herself.
    Sometimes flying under the radar is a good thing. You can get away with a lot more without people expecting anything. Being a slut is a good thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine you look like a "nice lady". Nice ladies don't have long slutty nails (it was the same the first time I went to have my head shaved). From your description, your rival looked like exactly "the kind of woman" who would have long slutty nails. I'm sure the manicurists' analysis went no further.

    As for queue-jumping: that's normal behaviour for anyone used to bars and clubs (I had to have it hammered out of me by my wife).

    Your fantasy is nice. What about: the woman likes to dress the part, suddenly finds herself having to play the part for real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often try to put myself in random people's minds too. Wondering how satisfied they are with their lives, their sexuality...thinking...if you're not a sub or domme...you should really try it...you'd be so much happier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appearances are soooooo deceiving - no? In the end we are each what our partner wants - as much as we can be anyhow. I like to watch peoples' behaviors - and how they move - i find it fascinating what you can learn and imagine from that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. William: The nails have a huge effect on me. I highly recommend them.

    PL: When the nails were suggested to me, I also had this notion that only slutty girls had acrylic nails. Whilst I confess to being one of those girls on the inside, I didn't want to look one on the outside. But honestly, my nails are gorgeous and simply say, I think, that I am conscious of my femininity. I doubt anyone that sees me thinks I am out of place. Friends are only now starting to comment on them and referring to them as "your gorgeous nails". So, it took a while, but they have adapted to the new me and accept she is here to stay.

    greengirl: Soooooo soooooo very deceiving. It is one of the most extraordinary lessons of my life. I adore to watch people and make up stories. It is one of my favourite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hawk: I agree. There are times I want to sit someone down and explain the whole darn thing to them. There have been times lately when I have gone part way. I actually tried today at a girlfriend's birthday lunch. I find that some people with an open mind listen intently. Other people are no where close to ready to listen and may never be ready. But, I do like to try to have them think about things in fresh ways. It is, perhaps, an extension of what I do here on these pages. I just leave out the part about me in the real life situation.

    ReplyDelete