Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Home

I had been going out with my boyfriend for some time when one day he informed me that the company would be sending him to the United States for an extended period of time. We talked it over and agreed that I would go with him as his girlfriend. We were too young to marry. This news was not met with glee by the family on any level but they accepted it.

One day, the General Manager at my place of work offered me a lift home and whilst he had me as a captive listener he told me that he did not approve. It was not at all right that a young girl accompany a man across the seas unless she were his bride. Far better, he said, that we should marry before we left.

Time has a way of twisting the truth in one's mind and I suppose other people commented on the situation as well, but it is that conversation that has always stayed in my mind. Perhaps my 'boyfriend' and I discussed it some more. I don't remember. However, some time after that, he proposed and we did marry before we left to start our lives together as newlyweds on the other side of the world.

It wasn't entirely blissful in that first year. He travelled a great deal around the United States with his job and I was commuting into New York City each work day with my job - a job that paid the bills rather than fulfilled me. The land was foreign to me. It took time for me to understand how that continent worked and I missed my homeland. I felt awkward asking for tomAto on my sandwich when I so wanted to say tomuto. I found the summer stifling hot and the humidity draining. I had no understanding why people lived on wretched looking and smelling coffee. And, why were so many advertisements about heartburn? Just how did this country work?

I no longer remember quite why I went home to Australia later that year but I remember that before my journey back to the United States, I suggested that my husband not bother to come to pick me up at the airport. It would be midnight and I could catch one of those limousine taxis back to our town. He agreed.

The plane got in and I still remember being very tired but grateful to have the long journey over. I remember feeling neither here or there. Australia was no longer my home and nor was the land where we had settled. I just remember feeling displaced and rather lonely. I began to think about finding my way to the limousine taxi area.

One thing you don't know about me is that I am rather useless in a crowd. It is often just one big blob of people to me and I have trouble seeing any one person in particular. Yet, when I looked into the crowd at this moment, I could see quite clearly that there was my husband, wearing the big brown sweater that I had knitted for him.

I think that even though the details of events get a bit hazy as we age, we do still tend to remember how we feel at any moment and at that moment I felt that I had come "home". Wherever he was, that was my home. And so it is to this day.

7 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful story. Is that when you knew he was the one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. William: What an intriguing question! I've had various moments when I knew he was "the one" right throughout my life. I think just about the first words out of his mouth hooked me in. I remember when he killed a Tiger snake right in front of my eyes, I had another moment like that. Certainly, the moment at the airport was one of them. They once had to restart his heart and that was another. Our love just keeps reaffirming itself over the years. It was definitely a love to last a lifetime (no matter how infuriating he can be!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vesta,

    Beautiful post! I have lived in the same town my entire life, and in the house I am now for 22 years. But often I do not feel "at home" until my Husband pulls in the driveway in the evening.

    Love,
    serenity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serenity: Have you?! My Dad was like that. He really loved the town where he was born. I never could get him on a plane to come and see me.

    I think it is lovely you feel that way. I admit to needing and benefitting from time on my own in my own home but what I like most of all is when we work on a project together. We've managed to do that in a peaceful state in the past, mainly coz we do it all his way.

    I've told him I am going to paint the outside garage walls at the holiday house in the next week. This is a real test for him, coz you wait and see...no sooner will I have done a few brush strokes than he'll need to show me some spot I have missed and he'll take over.

    Ahhhhh...home, sweet home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vesta, this was a really nice post.

    I rarely feel at home anywhere. But I can be settled if I know my wife a kids are nearby and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TemptingSweets: And it was lovely of you to stop by and say so. Thank you very much.

    Mick: Thank you so much. Your comment really had me thinking about what makes one feel at home and it's lovely that you feel the same way as I do about that.

    Any house I have lived in with my husband has been very important to me and I want to feel it is our "home" and not just a house. I can get to my husband because whether something (like his study - a bomb site!) is aesthetically pleasing or just practical is less important to him than to me. Yet, he is just delighted with improvements when they happen. Working together on making a house just the way we want it makes me feel "at home". Then, the home is "ours".

    ReplyDelete