Monday, July 6, 2015

The defining moment

In the process of learning how to be a script writer I've been required to come up with an idea for a feature film. It's not insignificant what we are required to do, in fact. One has to decide on a theme, and to plot out a story from beginning to end, as well as to write the first act of the film as a script. Some weeks, we have to take a break from that assignment to consider other possible versions of our central theme - perhaps to turn the single protagonist story to a multi protagonist structure, or to consider how one would turn the material around to be a one act show.

If you consider one act shows there is often a central moment. If you consider your own life there may be one central moment. (I strongly recommend you write a diary, but not what you did that day, rather the random thoughts that pop into your head, and over time, it will emerge.)

When we put one foot in front of the other and go about our lives day to day that central moment can be easily missed, but it's there, a central moment in your life. In other words, what's the 'through line' that binds all the random and everyday moments of your life? Maybe, think about it like that.

Stories are neat. Life is not so neat.

For example, I opened this blog, I closed this blog, I re-opened this blog. I stopped writing in this blog. I began writing in this blog...

Why?

Well, there are times when I say, 'This is me. I'm a kinky person. I operate best in a more controlled environment than just being one person in the big wide world, or one person who lives within a family structure. I operate best when I have the opportunity to demonstrate my submissive nature'.

Then, there are times when I say, 'Look, it clearly doesn't suit other people for me to have this nature. I'll stifle it down, bang it down and nail up the lid of the box, make it surrender, and just try to forget about it'.

But, the truth is that you can't run away from who you are. I'm me. I'm submissive. I need to not only accept that but to embrace it and register it as my truth.

My defining moment is acknowledging that I may be able to run but I can't hide from myself. Wherever I go, the submissive nature follows me, taunts me. It's real. It's part of me. It isn't going away.

So, I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment