Saturday, July 11, 2015

Guiding Hand

There's not a doubt in my mind that I do better with supervision, a coach of sorts. Whether we are talking about weight loss or physical fitness, writing or learning output, I do best when expectations are noted and monitored. If my husband wants me to speed up on the streets he takes my hand and comments that it never ceases to amaze him how I am perfectly able to walk faster once I have that guiding hand.

At one point I was expected to write down everything I ate. The expectation was removed and things got harder. I was aware of this just now when I put together a light lunch. There's a half of a yummy lemon slice sitting in the refrigerator. This is where supervision comes to the fore.  You may be able to convince yourself that eating this treat doesn't really matter, but can you convince someone else who is monitoring your very own goals? Of course you can't. The lemon slice has no place in your meal and you both know it.

It's the same with writing output. I chained myself to my desk yesterday (figuratively speaking) because my tutor pointed out how my script could be improved, and having a mindset to want to please, and knowing without any doubt that he knows what he is talking about and I should most certainly take his advice, I put the effort in to achieve a much better result.

I was talking to a woman last night who goes to 'Weight Watchers'. She said that they got cross with her that day because she hadn't achieved as they would have expected.

Are you going to commit or not? 

So, she said that she'd be good this week. But, since she has one week to go before she has to face the music again, she had two glasses of wine that I observed (and a couple before I got there) and she heartily shared in a group dessert. I truly believe her when she says that she will have celery and tomato tonight for dinner, but what exactly is she doing here?

If she had a Dominant in her life, and she does not, let's face it, he'd close down that sort of thinking very quickly. Three healthy meals, he'd say - one or two little treats per week is allowable - and - watch the wine consumption!

Of course, a lot of gals don't appreciate this type of supervision and a lot of girls have an iron will. I do appreciate supervision and I don't have an iron will.

I think one of the factors that I hadn't quite taken in before is that if you allow the thought 'I want to please him' dictate your state of mind, doing the right thing is much easier. You want the great outcome not just for yourself so that you feel good about yourself, but because you will be most pleasing to him.

It's not just that you might get punished if you disobey, but that you'll receive the most delightful praise if you do as he tells you so that you can benefit from his guidance.  And who of us doesn't swoon with praise?

No comments:

Post a Comment