Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Control

It was wonderful to talk with O (O = owner) on the phone last night and feel the energy in his voice. Those nasty types really have played a very dirty hand but he and others have come out of their shock, of their sense that they are doomed and begun to fight back. I know that I am not meant to have a voice in the business but on this one, I think a lot of my anxiety stemmed from believing so strongly that they should ignore the threats and fight back. They were all throwing away years of very hard work and dedication and I just couldn't see that as being the right response. On the phone last night, I felt able to support his efforts to right the wrong as best he could. It may not be perfect, but it can't be as bad as letting those men walk all over them with their underhand, bully boy tactics!

One of the facts about life that I have found so hard to accept is that we are not all brought up with the same moral code. We don't all know wrong from right. For some people the code is, 'the end justifies the means'. As a submissive, it can be hard to know what the right response is. How lovely it would be to remain in a submissive bubble! But, one does have to be on the alert for people with a different code and that means that submission is something that we can't always live.

It is my nature to be polite to people and to try to get what I need or want from people by being co-operative and considerate and so on. Sometimes, those behaviours are seen as weakness. People with their own interpretation of a 'moral code' can take advantage of what appears to be a 'submissive' type. For this reason, I think it important that a submissive person (a slave or bottom or what have you) continue to sharpen her assertiveness and her ability to demonstrate conviction of her cause. A good Dominant is likely to encourage that, I think, because it is so very difficult to live in this world without those skills. O tends to think of himself as my protector because I can't handle the cruel side of the world and that is partly true but as well, I am a survivor and I do want to succeed rather than fail.

As well, I think feeling that one is capable in the world to stand on one's own two feet and to defend one is part of what makes a strong individual and keeps depression away. Depression is often founded on feeling hopeless and a sense of feeling hopeless comes from feeling that there is nothing one can do to make things better. Being no more than an observer is very stressful to me when I feel that I have something meaningful and worthwhile to contribute.

I have tried not talking to O at all about business matters but whilst I can happily remain in a bubble for so long, reality waits for me. I think we have to keep the communication channels open, for me to remain respectful but able to give my point of view. This has risks and must be delicately handled but if we don't do this, O is at risk of being isolated in his thoughts. I continue to believe that a third party; someone who cares about him and is watching his back, should be able to speak. No one in this world cares about him more than I do. I do not want control but without a voice, I feel nothing but despair when things are going wrong and I feel denied the opportunity to help.

The saying goes that 'two heads are better than one' and in our case, so long as the second head remains respectful and handles matters delicately, I think that is the best policy. It feels incredibly hopeful and very, very right that whilst our roles remain and he will ultimately make the final decisions on our behalf, we live out those roles united as to an approach. I think it is a relief to him to have an open exchange of ideas and that whilst he enjoyed that I was happy in my submissive bubble removed from worry, he may have felt somewhat estranged. The power exchange is right for us but the extreme delineation of roles was very stressful and unsustainable.

2 comments:

  1. Vesta,
    I had something written; however, I hit the wrong button and "poof" it went missing so in a nutshell what was once a very thoughtful response will now be shorter and most likely easier to read. ;)

    My Master and I have been experiencing what I can only believe to be similar moments to what you and your owner have been with regards to being silent when it comes to business matters and finances; however, just the other night I had to use my voice and share with Master that this relationship involves both of us now - not just him. Our relationship includes two people and my voice can bring reason and support.

    I believe it is not just a dominant perspective but more so a male perspective to "take care of the household" and to "provide". (Although that has changed slightly due to household dynamics changing, this has been my experience.) I trust my Master to make decisions that will benefit us both; however, there are times when my voice, albeit quiet and select can be helpful.

    Bravo to your Owner for standing up to bullies and for you standing by his side supporting him.

    Love, ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. goodgirl: Yes. I think beyond the dynamic of D/s is a partnership and discussing matters is necessary even if I am sometimes just a 'sounding board' who often only needs to say "mmmmm-hmmmm" . And, I think he does listen now to what I have to say; keeps his ear out for a perspective that he might not have considered.

    Since we only have phone calls at the moment, I've become adapt at letting him talk and being that sounding board and I notice we tend to drift into a bit of emotional territory ("what sort of a man does these things...?") which he really doesn't have time for, given the complexity of his situation and then he kinda pulls me up and says he needs to get back to it and I totally understand that.

    I think it is a 'fine line' to walk because I can only offer my thoughts. He is the one that not only has to talk the talk, but walk the walk and so, at the end of the day, my support is probably what he needs the most.

    ReplyDelete