Saturday, January 11, 2014

Readers and writers

There have been several scientific studies done lately on literature over time and one such study reported that "the use of words with emotional content in books has steadily decreased throughout the last century". So, if one looks at such key emotional words as anger, disgust, fear, joy, sadness and surprise, it appears that "the emotional content of word usage in published English has been decreasing, with the exception of words associated with fear". This surprised me because it seems to be at odds with the notion that we are more interested in expressing ourselves and our thoughts now, for example, via Twitter.

The research study also showed that since the 1960s American English and British English literature have been diverging such that there is more emotion to be found in American literature. Is it possible that emotionalism is a luxury of economic growth, they wonder. And, is it possible that authors are more interested in expressing their fears than any other emotional state? This reminds me a bit of research about health and food, with one research study counteracting the other research study and all of us wondering what we are supposed to eat and how we are supposed to remain healthy. Intuitively we really know exactly what to do, but we don't necessarily follow that intuition that tells us to lay off the cake and get out and run.

What makes all of this scientific study about literature so interesting, I think, is that at the end of the day we can't be at all sure what to make of the findings. The authors of this study are open about that.

"While the trends found in this
study are very clear, their interpretation is still open. A remaining question, the authors say, is whether word usage represents real behavior in a population, or possibly an absence of that behavior which is increasingly played out via literary fiction. Books may not reflect the real population any more than catwalk models reflect the average body."


In line with this, I do wonder about the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' and whether we can draw any conclusions at all as to changes in Western society regarding BDSM practices or power exchange relationships. Did people read the book because they wanted to experience BDSM or to enter a power exchange? Or, are they reading about something that fascinates them because it is NOT in their lives and most likely never will be? If given the chance, would they enter freely or sprint in the other direction?

I understand that there has been an increase in the purchases of some play paraphernalia (e.g. handcuffs) and maybe more people want to play a little in the bedroom, giving up and taking control. However, I am not at all sure that this phenomenon really tells us anything about what is going on in our societies. 

There has been a big call for fantasy in the past few years and perhaps '50 Shades of Grey' fulfilled a desire to read about something intense without ever having to actually go there. As someone who is obsessed with experiencing power exchange authentically I want to read about the thought processes of someone who wants what I want and a man who instinctively can give a girl like me what she wants. One study I read about today mentioned that the most successful books favor verbs that describe thought-processing and that's definitely the sort of book that appeals to me. I want to get inside the characters’ heads and find out what makes them tick.

Do we read to experience something we don't know about, do we desire to relate to the characters in some way, or is it all far more complex than that? If I think about scenes in novels that turned me on, pages that I dog-eared and read over and over again, it related to the authentic nature of an experience - a daughter that was called into her father's study for a spanking, for example.

I always need to know the back story of such a happening. It's not the action itself that matters to me but how the girl came to be in this situation and why she sees this person as her authority figure; how that makes her feel; why she doesn't run for the hills when he produces a cane or a strap. Yet, there are other people who are happy to read about a spanking in space, on some make believe planet; some fantasy situation that is impossible to believe. It's the fantasy aspect of it that turns them on.

Frankly, all I took away from the studies for sure is that an author must be true to him or herself. Maybe there are readers and maybe there are not for what one writes, but trying to write via scientific research only leads to confusion.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting!

    I read because it lets me live in someone else's thoughts, it takes me to a place I can't go myself. So, I guess, I would prefer to read about things that are absent in my life. Not that I necessarily want those things but I would rather not relive some of the things I've lived through, does that make sense?

    But I am with you in wanting to know the back story and about each character. Without those things I'm just reading words, I'm not experiencing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty: That totally makes sense to me. I've just finished reading 'The Quiet American' and I love to experience worlds and mindsets different to my own. I can't stop thinking about the life of Phuong in Vietnam and how she didn't experience love as we might, yet was devoted and obedient to her lover, whoever he might be. I've never forgotten the comment made by a musicologist and she said, "In listening to music, we may be 'armchair travelers'. It's the same with literature. We experience different places, different people and different mindsets. That's why we should read because how else do we get inside other people's heads?

    At the same time, it is so rare to read a novel where I might say, "Yes! That's the submissive mindset I experience. That's how it is."

    I had a creative 'break through' last night. As I was waking I had developed a gorgeous scenario where I was leading the life that exhilarated me. I took a long time to wake because I wanted to hold onto that feeling of complete contentment. I'd love to read about that experience as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no research to back the notion up but I wonder whether the steady decline in positive emotive words in literature has its roots in the rise of film and television as the most common vehicle for consumers to access stories these days?

    Television especially has had an impact on popular culture and that in its turn must influence the mindsets of authors as it does all society. I wonder whether the constant barrage of bad news, negative political messaging and "gritty" soap opera that comes through television has simply made everyone's stories a little darker?

    We have all been turned into consumers from our less free yet more optimistic forebears and FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) first employed by IBM in their engagement with customers has proven a strong influence on consumer opinion. Similarly consumer hype about the "next big thing" leaves us feeling excluded unless we can join the conversation, so we feel inclined to pick up the copy of 50 Shades not because it srikes a chord but because we don't wish to feel out of touch in a world where change happens so very rapidly that we can so easily get left behind in those discussions around the office cooler.

    Just my thoughts and I may be entirely off target. Personally I am turning to books that are no longer in copyright for much of my fiction these days and am enjoying the change of pace. I have just started Great Expectations by Dickens and am delighting in the humor of his description of Pip's early years. So much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rollymo: I remember a similar comment in a lecture last year - that most people now access their stories through film and television. I saw 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' last week and it was great to see a character transform the way he did - to find his 'courage'. But, I agree, there isn't much on tv that is all that positive. I can't think of a single tv show that holds me. Monday night here is a great journalistic night of tv usually, 'Australian Story' for example. Oh! 'Modern Family'. I love that. I do look for that.

    Speaking of FUD (that's a new one on me) there was an ad last night on tv (we were catching the cricket and you may have noticed our boys are winning the LOT) that basically said that if you don't go out and get your bottle of cleanser you weren't going to be considered a good mother by your family! It's important that we recognize what is going on here - the emphasis on manipulating us to buy products out of fear, uncertainty and doubt).

    Yes, I think I felt that I 'should' read a novel that was causing so much discussion and perhaps many other people felt the same way. I can think of one woman whose life never was and never will be vaguely like 50 Shades who just loved it. It showed her another type of life and she mentioned particularly that Grey was so caring to the girl. She saw 'the love story'.

    Some say that Dickens is the greatest novelist of all time so you're on a winner there. Sometimes it is pleasing just to return to a novel where every sentence is a work of art and you can role the words around your tongue and take great pleasure in them.

    ReplyDelete