Sunday, November 3, 2013

Loving two men

What fascinates me is how life keeps changing and we keep changing but that fundamentally we don't change. We can gain great insight, but at the core we simply do not change. I think that for quite some time I fought against that and to some extent I always will.

I happen to be one of those people, perhaps caught up in the mix of a difficult personal dilemma, that wanted to explore and understand what was happening to her inside. I think Jane Fonda did something similar. Conscious that she didn't feel "whole", that she wasn't able to bring "her whole self" to the table in her marriage with Ted Turner, she left a man she loved and decided to build a new life for herself. That's no small thing. It takes a lot of courage to do that.

I listen to TED talks regularly and in her talk about vulnerability Brene Brown talked about her research and how "wholehearted people" have the courage to be imperfect, to tell who they are with their whole heart; be compassionate with themselves and with others.

I think I've embraced vulnerability in this web journal. I think I've talked about myself with my whole heart. I've explored what I do wrong and I what I do right. I've be open to growing and exploring. I've been open to changing. I did change. I learned a great deal, not just about myself but how to be a better person. Most of all I learned to accept. But, the very core of me; what I'd love to have, experience and feel - that's just the same. That didn't change. That won't change.

Here's what I know. I married very young. I was only 24 years old and I really didn't know enough about myself to be choosing a partner for the rest of my life. It's the lucky 24 year old that does manage to do that. Yet, in so many ways we have been very well suited. There must have been some good and natural instincts that were aiding me and I married a good man; a kind man. We both wanted children and to be part of a family and we really were, as much as anyone can be, good parents. There is an enormous amount of love going around our family. Most important of all, all the children feel that they are 'good enough'. All the children believe that they are worthy of love and belonging, and as Brene Brown says, that is the real job of parents.

I'm someone who thrives on sexual and physical attention; the sort of romantic love where I feel someone is leading the way. The fucktoy 'cindi' wasn't created for me. It was simply brought out with higher definition. It's always been this way. I radiate with that sort of sexual attention and I suffer when I feel that the relationship has, in my eyes, dwindled down to a more vanilla style marriage. Even in a vanilla style marriage, he leads the way. I don't interfere, nor really ask at all about finances, because he doesn't want me to and I abide by that.

Even in a vanilla marriage I've learned to be calm, patient, to repeat what I say endlessly; to be respectful; kind, caring; giving; loving. I maintain my standards. He can be overbearing (he's really very dominant in that he wants things his way) and I use breathing techniques if I find myself too upset. If I need to approach him with my distress, I do so in a calm and considered way. I've learned a lot of communication techniques along the way.

Most of all, I give him the private and personal time he needs. I aim now never to complain about his screen and working time that can have him up until the middle of the night many nights in a row, leading him to wear himself out. I take my opportunities to remind him of good daily practices: exercise and sleep. I encourage him to keep his worrying to specified times.  I encourage him to walk with me; to have breakfast out with me; to go to the movies with me. I continue to suggest and he'll take me up on these ideas. I keep trying to forge a connection in any way I can without it impinging too much on my life. I'm  not good at sitting on the couch each evening, for example. I admit I'd rather do something else; read a book; satiate my BDSM desires by reading online.

There are times when he can thrill me. I'm not sure if these are times when he makes a big effort for me or if a moment has come when he has a desire himself to be darker. Either way, I get enormous benefit from these times. My love for him is deeper; stronger. My love of my life escalates and my spirits rise. They are the times when I write with positive spirit here in the journal. Know that any time I am happy here I have been roughly and rudely fucked.

The times in between those times can be very hard. I make every effort to live each moment with joy; to make the most of my days and to really live life. I can and always have taken great joy in a great many things and I was blessed with a sense of the ridiculous. I love to giggle and to be silly. But, I cannot deny that if I knew then, at 24 years old, what I know now I would need to take into my account my nature; the nature that persistently asks for a dominant man; the nature that asks in every bone of my being for a man to lead the way, not just in a financial sense or a father of the family sense, but in terms of a dominant man leading a submissive woman, in the bedroom and out.

The truth is that I want to feel the fucktoy at all times, whatever I am doing. I want demands made of me. I want to feel that dominant presence in my life; for the person who I know myself to be to be present; desired; relevant.

Here I am, almost wishing that age would eliminate my deep desires. But, I'm here to tell you that no matter how old you grow, they don't go away. They only increase in demand. And, here I am still loving the man I married 33 years ago; still trying to come to terms with the dilemma.

(Here's the link to the Brene Brown talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html)

9 comments:

  1. Such a superb post. The challenges of combining vanilla and kink lives with our partners are faced by many of us. This is such a brave, honest and helpful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abel: Coming from you, my dear, that means a lot to me. I have been a little bashful since writing it, worried that I may have gone too far, but it is an honest account and I stand by it. If my husband should ever read it I hope that he would agree that my love for him is very, very deep that I would stay the course in spite of the sorrows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful post..you certainly are strong to be able to stay so loving and in love with your husband.
    And no.. the desires don't go away with age! Sad when they aren't met, but wonderful when they are.
    Thank you for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an honest and lovely post. Perhaps it is the rare person who truly finds everything he or she needs in a long marriage. I think as we become older, who we truly are is revealed more and more, so yes it would become more intense.

    It seems you have chosen love, faithfulness and the highest good of your husband. I admire you for this.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. nbs: The thing is, I'd like to see a bit more of the devil in him come out to play. He is committed to his own version of the world and will even say things like, "It's my decision whether you like it or not." Now, all I ask is that he brings that audacity into our sexual lives - that he demand his way at any given moment and give us both a thrill. All I ask is that he 'let go' and enjoy life, no matter what is happening in the business world. Geesh, and I'm the worrier. Right.

    Susan: I tend to think that when you drill down to the decisions we make we tend to make them for ourselves. Yes, I'd walk over broken glass rather than hurt those I love, but if I *really* wanted to walk away, I guess I would. People do it every day and that's because they have made the decision for themselves (and perhaps loved ones) that that is right. I have never reached that moment.

    There is something about aging that is kinda cool. You look back on this long history and there's the opportunity to really embrace this stage of our lives - to be oneself. It's all out there for the taking because the older you get the more eccentric, opinionated, 'out there' and odd you can be. Think, Germaine Greer. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly a great writer. And talking about honesty - you are honest. Probably too honest for certain tastes.
    I am happy that you can make this arrangement work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David: "truly a great writer". Just basking in the glow of the compliment for a moment...

    Thank you.

    Yes, I am honest. And, even though my husband hasn't read here in a long time I've said nothing here that I haven't said to him in person. We've made headway just today, which almost made wonder if he might have read here, but it's just co-incidence and him wanting to take control himself, I am sure. It makes him happy. It makes him happy. It's just a matter of gaining consistency because we do best in the D/s dynamic. I really, really, really want this and he really, really benefits from putting some focus on this dynamic in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic post- food or thought for me. This could have been formulated in my head. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. little: I wrote this nearly a month ago and this phrase - "my whole self' - is what endures for me. I am just having the most dreadful time not being able to do that - caught between love and duty on the one hand and this inner turmoil about having to pretend that my whole self is satisfied on the other.

    ReplyDelete