Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The vital ingredient

My husband's desire for BDSM containment practices waxes and wanes. The times he binds me in some way are rare and tend to relate to a time when I am "used". I'd prefer it otherwise. I love those evenings when he comes into the bedroom and I am already in bed and he ties my wrists together for the whole night, for example. He might go back to his study for a few hours but the benefits for me are considerable, even when I am alone. I sleep extraordinarily blissfully when constrained in some way and I get the pleasure of being sexually aroused all night but without anything that I can possibly do about it (sort of). For reasons that can't be well explained, the fact that he has chosen to do this for me and to me fills me with a deep sense of being loved.

Every now and then, he ties my wrists together and then my ankles and then some rope between my wrists and ankles. In this way, I am in the foetal position on my side, my left hand side if you prefer more detail, and in this position and after several hours, I am not at all comfortable. Yet, I am entirely comfortable really, comfortable in my discomfort and I find this position deeply, deeply arousing. I sleep well but fitfully. I drift in and out of a sexual sort of consciousness whereby I am aware of every fibre of my being. My head is full of sexual sensation but not a thought can really be produced. I am simply, a sexual object.

Maybe only a handful of times, he has bound my whole middle section of my body, just as Popeye did for Olive Oil, round and round my body with the rope. This is quite marvellous. I get to watch him at work, which I love. From a farm and an able seaman he is perfectly at home handling rope and I find watching him quite hypnotic.

Busy as he is, occupied with many business projects at once, I rather doubt that he has much notion that I would dearly, dearly loved to be tied up and that tonight would be good. I don't think that thought has entered his radar. I know, and I know full well that I would only need to walk into his study later this evening, or mention to him on the couch when we have a cup a tea after dinner that I would love to be all tied up in bed this evening and he would do this for me. If I were to ask nicely...not complain that it has been a while or anything vaguely closely to any sort of criticism...I feel almost certain that he would do this for me. My happiness is something that he wants for sure.

And yet, I cannot guarantee you, sitting here at my desk in amongst making the dinner that I can do this. It seems agony to have to ask for the things I want. I can't think of anything harder. What's hard about it, you may well ask.

May I please have a spanking?
Would you please bind my wrists together tonight?
Could you please come to bed and use me?

They are simple sentences. I don't think he would say "no" especially since he knows how hard it is for me to ask him for these things.

But, why? Why is it so hard?

As irrational and just plain dumb as this is going to sound, I am going to say it anyway. The reason I find it almost impossible to ask for anything is because in my heart of hearts I believe that if he loved me enough, he would do these things for me without me needing to ask for them. He would be aware of the distress it causes me for him to not do them and he would come to me of his own volition and contain me; correct me; love me. When he doesn't come to me to do those activities that I associate with love and care, I feel abandoned and rejected. To come to him is to acknowledge that abandonment and intense vulnerability that it is to be me.

Yes, those feelings would disappear the moment he resolved the situation by responding to my request. Yes, I can resolve non-compliance by "getting off my bimbo haunches and executing", for example. But, I often feel on my own and on my own it can be easier to wallow in a sense of lack of love than it can be to solve the problem. I like to be forced to do things because I interpret the force as love and care. He cares enough to enforce the requirement. I matter. I matter to him.

On the weekend my husband spanked me quite firmly and shortly after that in the car on the way to do an errand together he said, "You really liked that spanking, didn't you? It has settled you." I am not great at talking to him about my responses and I simply said, "I haven't made a secret of the fact that spankings make me happy." The spanking did indeed carry me through the day happily. Even being told to mind my manners makes me feel loved (so long as he is not angry with me. I deplore anger directed at me.)

This incredibly profound sense of vulnerability inside of me has roots so deep within my psyche that I can tap into them but do nothing to alter them. I am capable of feeling enriched; loved; adored; wanted but at the same time I can question what is lovable about me. It is a horrible sense of being unworthy; different; not good enough that I fight with most days.

Then, I am used or corrected or contained; loved; and the sunshine comes out. I beam with pleasure; find love and light in everything I see and touch; feel an immense sense of love inside of me and surrounding me. I feel worthy of the attention and love.

This 'asking' business is that important; a skill I must hone. Nothing could be more important to my state of mind.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Vesta--thank you for sharing your reason for having such difficulty asking. I hadn't thought of this before, and I wonder now whether this is part of why my own wife struggles with asking to be bound or spanked as well. I appreciate the new insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vesta,
    See - this is why i love your writing. I know you have struggled with this for some time. And i do - so much - as well. I have said that he and i don't play the "if you loved me, you would..." game - but that's not quite true - in my head i really do still carry the notion that if he loved me he would do those little things i think i want or need to feel him without any mention from me. And that if i ask or even mention - it somehow doesn't count. I can see that it's a silly game - but can't seem to put it aside for good. I'm glad you are learning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear wife also suffers from the same "if he loved me he would do it without my having to ask" notions. I entirely get it - especially if your desire is to be a doll, an object. Objects don't have a voice, so why would they have to ask to be used? I guess this is where real life intrudes in its unwelcome fashion into our bubble of ideal existence. As a husband and father in a demanding job, one of my most difficult challenges is to leave work behind and devote my time to my family when I get home. But working and succeeding at being the sole breadwinner in these trying times is a greater challenge and a more pressing one most of the time. I admit, the sole breadwinner thing taps into my caveman psyche quite wonderfully and gives me huge satisfaction and I also recognize that men have an innate ability to concentrate on one thing and see it through, to the detriment of other things around them. Work often is that one thing, to my family's frustration. I need to be more self-aware when that happens, and perhaps your wonderful hubby needs that too.

    I don't have an answer, but what works for me is when my wife doesn't ask for something but gently reminds me she is there, by bringing me something with a kiss and a hug when I am deep in thought. Often that's all it takes is for me to lift my head up from the page and see the beautiful gifts I have been given in life, and my focus shifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very hard time asking as well.

    There's an invisible line that gets crossed too, from "He's busy and he'll do what he can when he can." to "He doesn't care about me and therefore he'll keep writing code (or whatever) until he's too exhausted to do anything with me."

    I'm not sure where that line is, but my attitude can shift in a matter of seconds when it is crossed, and I go from patience itself to sulky and irritable but pretending not to be. Which I think is probably worse than sulky and irritable alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vesta,

    Why is asking so hard?? It's a question mouse always ask herself. Certainly she can easily enough if Daddy would like another cup of warm water with lemon, or a bite to eat, so why is it so hard to say that mouse needs to feel contained?

    It's a skill mouse needs to work on too.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake: My husband refers to me as "the dolli who sits on the shelf and passively waits for something to happen". He finds it completely ridiculous and fails to see why I cannot simply let him know that the dolli would like to be used. I do appreciate you leaving the comment because it makes me realize that men grapple with this too and to that end, it is a bit of miscommunication. I definitely have that dolli mindset that it is my role to be silent and still and wait for something to happen but the sensible approach would be to entice. That ain't such a hard task afterall...

    greengirl: Yes, it isn't really about whether he loves me or not or whether he loves me adequately but rather that events and circumstances have overwhelmed him and he has failed to let those thoughts go for long enough to put me first for an hour or two, or even less. It is my job to rescue him, I think. That's just the way it is.

    rollymo: I appreciate you understanding that there are some things that a doll can't do but alas it is absolutely no excuse. From the first day to the last time we chatted, my mentor pushed the asking skills, disappointed I suspect that after all that training I was still finding it difficult. I think that we need to get it into our dumdum heads that there is nothing wrong with asking for what we want (oh so nicely, of course). I read over recently a chat we had a long time ago, he and I about negotiation. It was an exercise in expressing how I saw the situation and asking if I could have this, and he asking me what I would give up for it...and on it went until we had established a dress code. This is the way it *should* be - asking and refining and perhaps giving up something to get something else - or whatever - but asking instead of just being silent and sad. Bringing in a snack or cup of tea, or whatever, is an excellent suggestion...then a kiss...and you never know your chances...

    Conina: Ahhhhhh, what an important point you have made here: the absolutely fickle state we can be in when we are experiencing this sort of vulnerability...all ready to ask perhaps and then letting a look or a word to put us off our game. Perhaps I should develop a mantra for all of us to keep us on the straight and narrow:

    "Ask and you shall receive" (or did someone already come up with that one?? Hmmmm)

    omega and mouse: Well, if you want to borrow the mantra, be my guest and let's compare notes in a week or two and see how we went, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for this post... i feel the same way so often as well and you've managed to put it in words for me. Having to ask to play is so hard to do. Guess we all need to learn how to right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. F3rn: Human beings are pretty convoluted, ya. My husband has been helping me clean up the kitchen in the evenings lately and it feels a bit uncomfortable to me: that's *my* job and I am happy for him to relax after dinner and I'll bring him a cup of tea. There's a mindfield of psychology right there.

    So *asking* for attention of whatever kind (spanking, sex, being bound up) can seem topsy turvy in our minds. He'll often say something to me like, "You just need a good few rounds with the cane". And, I know in my heart that he is right. I guess when we sense in ourselves that we are in need, it makes sense to ask nicely for what we need. I am a much nicer person when I get what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I made my sub / wife come up to my study at a fixed time, ask for her weekly maintenance spankings and then send her down to clean and otherwise prepare herself, she nearly always reaches subspace and obedience has signficantly improved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr J: That makes sense in every way.

    ReplyDelete